Crytek says its intentions with Crysis 2 “backfired a little bit”

Friday, 24th June 2011 17:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has said developing Crysis 2 to be playable on most PC systems ended up “backfiring” on the firm.

According to Yerli, when the first Crysis was released, the game was so high tech, even the minimum requirements for it were not feasible for a lot of PC users at the time. So, the firm decided it would make the sequel more accessible to standard hardware on the market.

Despite these good intentions, the result was met with some criticism from the PC community, mainly because the game utilized DX9 instead of DX10 – which is relatively standard for today’s kits – let alone the option of DX11 for W7 users.

“Crysis 1′s intention was, if I were to play it three years later, it looks great. And it does, actually, it fulfilled that. But it made it difficult for entry-level players,” Yerli told Gamsutra in an interview.

“So with Crysis 2, we took a different direction, and it backfired a little bit.”

To satisfy those with an OS which supports DX11, Crytek is set to release what is essentially an upgrade which utilizes the tech next week.

“This is much more like a gift to the high-end community,” said Yerli. “And I think gamers will appreciate that.

“It lifts up Crysis 2 and gives a sneak peak of how PC gaming will evolve in the future, if you support a high-end preference.”

Crysis 2 version 1.9 will be made available this coming Monday, June 27.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Erthazus…?

2. Gama_888

@1 LMAOOO
    Its just a matter of time……

3. DSB

The biggest problem with Crysis 2, beyond the braindead AI and the Gamespy account system, was the extremely arrogant way they chose to talk it up before it came out.

It wasn’t a bad game, it just wasn’t half as good as Crytek bragged that it was.

4. Hunam

To be honest, the graphics wasn’t the issue, it was the lack of options. Also, the game isn’t very good.

5. Maximum Payne

@1 I can tell you what CEO wanted to say.Crysis 2 use cryengine simultaneous developing ability to game look axactly same on all 3 platform.That is why PC version was having funny moments like don’t turn off your console,aimbot turn off/on….If the game was build first on PC then porting to console like BF3 then console maybe wouldn’t look that good.But point is,they work way more on console rather on PC.

6. brotherhoodofthewolf

but it isn’t like they aimed to appeal to be playable on most systems is it. anyone with a crossfire ATI setup got screwed doubly bad. greed before users need…

7. Night Hunter

backfiring is a nice word. Complete fuck up would be a little more accurate. Not that I would really care about the PC version, but still, most people expected somethng different I guess …

8. Maximum Payne

@7 Crysis 1 set benchmark on great graphics and big levels and sequel to be console oriented is never good thing.Same thing with Red Faction 1 and 2.

9. Gekidami

The game sucked. Get over it Crytek and learn to shut your mouths next time.

10. Fin

We’re ten comments in, and still no sign of the graphics fanbo-I mean Erthazus?

Is he dead?

11. DSB

Framerate framerate, pixel pixel, particle effects! Call of Duty?!

Nothing? Shit…

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@10…comment #5 was interesting how it addressed my original comment almost in direct reply…

13. darksied

Apparently I’m in the minority, but I don’t care. I liked the game. I’ll admit I enjoyed the first one too (yes, graphics was a big part of it) and the 2nd made my laptop feel like it was on fire, but it ran fine at about 30 fps and I thought it was fun. I doubt I’ll even be able to use this dx11 patch, but I’ll give it a try.

14. freedoms_stain

I’m annoyed that they put out an unfinished product.

They should have done what Dice have done with Frostbite 2 and shot for an engine that scales from high end monster PC right down to consoles from day 1, not shot for the middle ground then patched in the high end later.

Perhaps the higher end PC crowd isn’t your biggest consumer base Crytek, but they ARE still your customers and they have paid for your product, you shouldn’t be treating any group of customers as 2nd rate imo, and waiting months upon months for something you’ve paid for is not on.

15. Maximum Payne

@12 Don’t shoot the messenger :)

16. Erthazus

Problem with Crysis 2 was only one: It was consolized.

If you compare first game to the second, it’s shit and roses.
    Speaking about the graphics. They were average console graphics. Even if you had a good rig all you got just better textures (like in most shooters that ported from consoles to PC).

AI is not impressive, story was ok… Gameplay was consolized, although i liked that there are not a lot of script moments aka Call Of duty and was a bit of a sandbox sense which is good imo.

Multiplayer: Call Of Half-Life. crysis 1 multiplayer was better, but they didn’t improved it here, just ripped off ideas from other games… I hate to say but Crytek UK should not do multiplayer next time.

I was not dissapointed in the game as much as i was dissapointed that Crytek Frankfurt made the game so bad. I could understand that if Crytek UK or Crytek Seoul could do this… but main team who created Far Cry 1 and Crysis is just bizarre…

and now… Crytek Frankfurt makes RYSE for Xbox Kinect…. Lol

17. Hunam

I thought the graphics were great on the PC, just that the fact you had no means to tweak anything, the controls didn’t quite work, the mouse has acceleration and other problems and the single player story was horrible. The MP in crysis has always been terrible so I can’t really moan about that.

18. IL DUCE

@7 so you basically just said you have no idea what you’re talking about…calling it a major fuck up and then saying you don’t really care about the pc version and you guess people expected something different

I have a 360 and I enjoyed it so whatever…graphics were some of the best I’ve seen on console

@16 if RYSE can be played with a controller I will try it…the game will probably look amazing (for console), especially since its a 360 exclusive – since they won’t have to worry about any other versions

19. darksied

I don’t agree with this at all. What do you think in the game is “unfinished?” I don’t see anything THAT broken (there’s some issues where the AI gets stuck, but those are not too bad). And I don’t see them as having made it for the middle ground and patching in the high end. What PC system can even play the game on the highest settings now with a good framerate? They must have like 2 or 3 video cards, tons of ram, and the best processors out there.

I see it more like them patching in “even BETTER” graphics on top of what’s already there; it’s not like it was really missing from the game because the game looks great.

20. DSB

@19 That’s really not the case. It’s pretty nicely optimized, so a modern right doesn’t really get stressed too bad at the highest setting.

The game looks fine though. It has far worse issues with the lousy AI and Cryteks inability to make their online account system work.

21. xino

22. bpcgos

Bad Double post!

23. bpcgos

“is a “gift” to the PC high-end community”

a $60 dollar gift that we bought for ourselves?? Its not a gift. Its our rights, its should be in package with the release product! If the 1st Crysis could do it, why the sequel can’t? Its just beyond of my imagination!
    But thanks god I’m not yet buy it!:D

24. Joe_Gamer

Played the PC version, graphics were acceptable but I am less into graphics than most PC gamers. I played about half way through and got bored and quit. worse that any graphics the story was just dull. The AI was annoying, those area’s with “infinite” respawning enemies were annoying, and the pompous attitude of Crytek is god damn annoying. They’re like a father who finally pays his child support and then wants a pat on the back for doing what he should have done from the beginning. A “gift”? Don’t piss on me and say it’s raining.