Gearbox: Colonial Marines is “the movie everybody always wanted to see”

Monday, 20th June 2011 07:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to Gearbox’s Brian Martel, Aliens: Colonial Marines is a game everybody wanted to make.

“It actually takes place after the third movie, but it’s a spiritual successor to Aliens. … It’s kind of the movie that everybody always wanted to see but weren’t able to,” the Gearbox co-founder told Gamepron.

“When I was a teenager, I went to see Aliens in the theatre on opening night, and ever since then I’ve wanted to make this game – I think as most of the guys in the industry have wanted to do.

“I mean you look at Halo, you look at even little moments in Call of Duty where they’re quoting the movie or naming characters after the movie… so, the whole industry has wanted to plan this, so it’s a real privilege for us to finally be able to make a game that’s true to Cameron’s vision for Colonial marines.”

Aliens: Colonial marines is due on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii U in northern spring 2012.

1. triggerhappy686

The more I hear, the more I like. Pumped for this.

2. gribb85

How about showing us a ‘movie’ of some gameplay then?

3. Jessica Citizen

#2 – I’ve seen the game on display at E3, and am gutted that I can’t share it with people. It was the sort of behind-closed-doors thing where even having your mobile phone out would get you escorted from the room.

So, fingers crossed, there’ll be something out soon. It does look amazing, though.

4. Space jockey pilot

#3

does it show you the powerloader footage on the demo ?

5. NOSAVIOUR

Just like Duke Nukem had an epic campaign that is only rivalled by Half Life 2′s… Fuck off Gearbox. Until I have it in my hands I take anything you say with a pinch of salt.

6. DSB

@5 You do realize that Duke Nukem was at no point developed by Gearbox, right moron?

They took in part of the team from 3D Realms, and oversaw the efforts to edit it down and get it ready for market.

Talk to George Broussard about that.

7. NOSAVIOUR

@6 No really?! Course I do. But those were Randy Pichford’s words (CEO of Gearbox), if his views were that, it doesn’t bode well for any of his or Gearbox’s other statements… Moron.

8. DSB

@7 And you at no point considered that maybe he was trying to sell you a product at the time? You expected him to say that his product was fundamentally flawed? Are you that stupid?

Buyer beware. If you purchase something before actually using your brain, you get what you deserve.

9. Space jockey pilot

LOL! stop arguing like little kids the games a failure any ways end of. its all about Aliens:CM now….

10. NOSAVIOUR

@8 What a jumped up prick. No really? Am I not entitled to an opinion.

My whole point is, Gearbox are saying Colonial Marines is “the movie everybody always wanted to see”. If you can actually understand what my first post said it was “Until I have it in my hands I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.” I doubt you do though as you had to resort to being abusive to try and get an unvalid point across. Bravo.

Those are pretty big claims, sometimes it’s better to bite tongue and let the product speak for itself. You could learn something from that too.

11. DSB

You totally are entitled to an opinion, it’s just that before you start launching indignant statements you might want to consult your common sense.

Of course he’s not going to be quiet, when launching a product that his company and his publisher has posted millions in. Quite arguably, he’s going to try to sell it. It’s called doing your job.

The fact that you’re liable to believe whatever the man says isn’t his problem. The buyer makes the decision, not the seller.

12. Space jockey pilot

like i said stop arguing please….

13. IL DUCE

Yeah…let’s forget about them publishing Duke and remember them developing Borderlands…I think they can do big things with this game and definitely quell the bad taste left in my mouth after playing AvP…I think as long as they make it more survival horror fps than arcade fps it will be good, probably incorporate some squad play co-op campaign in there, I think they can go a lot of ways with this one…also really need the graphics to be good, because in some games it doesn’t matter as much but in a game where environment and setting should be a big part of it, the graphics need to be top notch…