Bleszinski hits out at Kinect criticism: “If you don’t like it, don’t play it”

Tuesday, 7th June 2011 12:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Epic design boss Cliff Bleszinski has hit out at those criticising Kinect at an after-conference event from Microsoft at E3.

At the event, Bleszinski said it was simple: if it’s not your thing, don’t go for it.

“If there gamers out there that are weird about it, like, what’s the problem? If you don’t like it, don’t play it,” Bleszinski said at a behind closed doors developer session from Microsoft following its press conference last night (via EG).

“I had an interesting conversation where one of the PR people pulled me aside and was like, ‘It has come to our attention that you might not like Kinect.’ I’m like, ‘does anybody read my Twitter feed? I went to the fucking launch of it in New York.’ I love it.

Bleszisnki continued: “This is so strange. It’s Move that I dog on all the time. I don’t want to hold the two goofy-looking aeroplane-coming-in things, right? Less plastic on my coffee table as far as I’m concerned is a good thing.”

On the subject of Kinect integration for Gears 3, Bleszinski said that if it did end up adding something, it would be tacked on considering the development timetable.

“If we were to get around to doing something Kinect-based, we would want to dedicate something to it and really knock it out the park and make it a Kinect game.”

Bleszinski noted his love for Kinect Fun Labs during the same event, saying he loves the recently-announced tools.

1. Freek

People expected more games and more quality games. Stuff like Dance Central or Child of Eden. Games that play to the strenghts of the platform.
    Not shitty voice recognition or forced motion controlls into military shooters or mini game collections. We had all that terrible stuff on the Wii already, learn from that.

Don’t try to deflect legitimate criticism with silly one liners. Build better games developers.

2. DirtEHarry

We don’t complain about Kinect. We complain about the lack of controller-based 360-exklusives.

3. LOLshock94

@2 we get the best multiplatform games you selish douche seriously just face it microsoft are trying really hard to impress the hardcore and the core and tbh what we just seen was enough to make them impress both

4. DuckOfDestiny

Oh the hypocrisy, “It’s Move that I dog on all the time.”

You know what they say Bleszinski , “If there gamers out there that are weird about it, like, what’s the problem? If you don’t like it, don’t play it.” In fact, I believe it was you who dropped that little pearl of wisdom.

I like the guy, but he sure does need to listen to what he says sometimes.

5. Dralen

I don’t play it. You’re right Cliff, it was really simple.

6. Blerk

Saying “if you don’t like it, don’t play it” is fine – I don’t and I won’t. The trouble is, if you don’t and won’t, Microsoft are doing precious little for you these days unless you’re really into Halo.

That’s the gripe – not that they shouldn’t be doing Kinect, but that they shouldn’t give up everything else in order to do Kinect.

7. Fin

If I don’t like something, I won’t play it (or complain about it in the comment sections of websites).
    However, the problem people have with Kinect is quality developers (eg Lionhead) spending time making games that’re solely to push the hardware, rather than doing what they’re good at.

Edit: @6 – you beat me to it!

8. Gekidami

Pretty much what Blerk said; Saying that people ‘dont have to play it’ is cool, but MS are hardly leaving much choice.

Effectively Cliffy, you may as well have said: “If you don’t like it, change system”

9. Mike

He’s got a point. Don’t like it, don’t play it. Don’t like 360, sell it, or don’t buy it.

There’s plenty of other stuff to choose from.

10. KAP

I love the fact he has so much to say about the MOVE yet he comes out with a statement such as this?!

I hate to say it but from what i saw all evening MOVE (for me) seems like the more attractive bet in terms of the titles coming for it.

Move is a wii just more responsive and Kinect is an eyetoy just more…… ermmmm… funds for advertising i guess.

If you put a gun to my knob, i’d choose a MOVE. It’d have to be a very big gun though.

Edit @6 Good point dude, very good point. Halo 4, 5 and 6…. they are really getting desperate.

11. frostquake

All I really care about is that they don’t sacrifice core games for us Controller based gamers and turn all their focus on Kinect. So as long as they make great quality games for me as a Controller Gamer, then fine, I won’t complain, and so far they are doing fine.

It’s when they come out with a Halo ? insert Number that is Kinect only or Gears insert number and it is Kinect only and they don’t give us Controller players an option that I will have a problem…but I really don’t see that happening.

12. DrDamn

@General
    There is an argument that investment in Kinect brings in new users, uncovers a few gems which all users can enjoy and ensures future investment in all sorts of titles for Kinect or not. I do think they don’t have the balance right currently though and I’d like to see more diversity in their core exclusive boxed titles.

13. Blerk

Indeed, Mike – you could choose Sony instead who now appear to only want to sell you Move, 3D and HD remakes. :-D

14. KAP

The reason they sell HD remakes because we asked for it.
    Ok, maybe not 3D or MOVE but Sony are the one company with the most exclusives out this year so give them ‘some slack.

15. Mike

@13: Aye. Or you could DL all the great-looking XBLA titles, get Skyrim, Arkham and all the other great 3rd-party stuff and be content? :)

Or wait for what Nintendo does in a couple of hours and buy that!

16. Blerk

@14, I’ve said lots of times that Sony’s first-party output is generally far stronger than Microsoft’s, that’s no secret. But their E3 show this year was pretty weak on the PS3 front once you got past the stuff you already knew about.

@15, yeah – like THAT’S going to happen. :-D

17. Mike

@16: :)

18. Christopher Jack

What a hypocrite, he says “don’t like it, don’t play it” then he goes on to criticize the Move. No one’s complaining about the games themselves, they’re complaining about the shift from core to casual.

19. ManuOtaku

Well i not agree with him, if some people doesnt want to play it you need to convince them with good games first, like the wii did, in my eyes microsoft is starting to do that but they need to keep this rhythm post E-3, iam very interested in Ryse, minecraft, star wars kinect a the gunslinger marionette game, dance central 2 and kinect sports 2, but they need to keep offering good and interesting games thats all, in my eyes they are on the right track, but you dont want that attitude, dont patronize the consumers, convince them.

20. Espers

Thanks we won’t buy it !! away my $$ GOES !!! :P

21. alimokrane

Well duh! stating the obious but that is not the problem! it’s being forced down our throats in games that we want to play with a controller but cant because they are playable only via Kinect! add to that the horrible first party support and you’ve got yourself a loosing console. Mattrick claims the console will outsell its rivals globaly next year – Dream on mate, it’s not going to happen.

22. sg1974

I won’t. Not until you make real games for real gamers

BTW, he complains about Kinect moaners then moans about Move. LOL

23. blackdreamhunk

maybe he should that about the pc too.

24. TheBlackHole

Can’t argue wiv C-Blizzy. Fo shizzle.

25. TheBlackHole

perhaps you could this because the xbox also.

26. minxamo

I’m not pissed off that there are kinect games out there (well I am a bit, since it really kills the 360′s reputation) I’m pissed off about microsoft focusing on kinect stuff for 3 yr olds, instead of proper games for the majority of their fanbase.

Kinect has sold less than 10 million copies, and there are 55 million xbox 360′s sold, yet the MS conference was 70% kinect stuff.

Kinect also killed Fable, which i’m not happy about.

27. onlineatron

Alright, I won’t play it.

Side note: What do I play on my 360 now ;P

Deus Ex,
    Skyrim,
    Bioshock,
    Rage,
    Far Cry,
    Doom…

…no, you’re right. I can’t think of anything to play on my 360.

29. blackdreamhunk

maybe he should have said that about the pc too.

30. Herlock