Sony confirms full PSN restoration by end of this week

Tuesday, 31st May 2011 04:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony has announced that PlayStation Network, including PlayStation Store and the services it offers, will be fully restored by the end of this week.

Following a partial return of features earlier this month, including online play, the restoration will see the Store back online, as well as In-Game Commerce and being able to redeem vouchers and codes – meaning those still to enter online access codes for Mortal Kombat and DiRT 3 can finally do so.

Full functionality for Qriocity and MediaGo will also be restored.

Sony had previously said that it planned to get PSN fully back online by today, May 31.

The return of those services will apply in most regions, with Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea being the exceptions. PSN partially returned in Asia only this past Saturday.

Sony has told Reuters the delay for the Store’s return in Japan was because it needed to comply with instructions on information security from the Japanese government. It refused to clarify further the delay in South Korea and Hong Kong.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said SCE president and executive VP of Sony corp, Kaz Hirai.

“We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

PSN went down on April 19 due to an external intrusion. Sony confirmed that personal data was compromised, but said there was no evidence of credit card details being stolen.

A partial return to most regions bar Asia arrived on the weekend of May 14.

It was thought the PS Store would return last week, but that did not materalise. Sony is due to hold maintenance for PSN this evening.

To compensate users affected by the downtime, Sony will allow PSN users to download a choice of two PS3 and two PSP titles for free.

Users will also get free PlayStation Plus subs.

1. xino

finally!

time to download loads of sh*
    and finally download the Thor trailer 1:)

2. azuth

Dont lie me!

3. Psychotext

“…so that our fans can again…”

Seems so strange to hear a non-sporting corporate entity referring to their customers that way.

4. jacobvandy

Yet another delay, and still no concrete time/date… Sadly, I have come to expect nothing less from Sony.

5. Exzeerex

What happened to the “before the end of May” which is today :/

Not. Serious. Business.

6. MM360

What does this exactly mean?

Does it mean I can use my Mass Effect 2 Code ?

I am getting portal 2 today will I be able to link it to my Steam account?

7. frostquake

My Poor PS3 is in my Master Bedroom Collecting Dust. When PSN comes back on I will move it back into my Man Cave. I am ready for it to be back up! Just in time for Infamous 2!

8. Breloki

“our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love” thats what sony says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I HAVE NO HOPE TO THIS COMPANY ANYMORE!!!!!FOR 2 WEEKS NOW THEY ARE SAYING AT THE END OF MAY STORE WILL BE UP AND WHEN THE DAY COMES THEY ARE SAYING AT THE END OF THE WEEK?ARE YOU SERIUS SONY????I WILL NEVER TRUST YOU ANYMORE AND YES I AM REALY ANGRY WITH THEM EVEN THIS TIME THEY ARE NOT SAYING THE DAY THAT THE STORE WILL BE UP!!!!!!I BET THAT AT THE END OF THE WEEK THEY WILL SAY AT THE END OF JUNE THE STORE WILL BE READY AND UP!!!!!!!NO MORE MONEY FOR SONY FROM ME!WHEN EVERYONE SAID TO ME TO BUY THE X-BOX I WENT AND BOUGHT THE PS3 NOW I REGRET EVERY SECOND OF THAT MOMENT TY ONE MORE TIME SONY AND DONT HASTE WE CAN W8 FOR THE STORE TO BE UP FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS WE ARE PATIENT :@:@:@:@

9. Zana

It must be sad to be unable to play offline games.
    Having a great time on my PS3 these days, outage or not.

10. Blerk

So can we get our freebies by the end of the week, then? Or are those for later?

11. The_Deleted

I’d sooner they took all the time they needed to assure us this sort of thing won’t happen again, rather than just bring it all back on line because certain babies keep throwing their toys out of the pram.
    I WANT MY INTERNETS!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Fucking grow up.

I understand the online play is a big part of gaming for a huge number of users, but it’s really not the end of the world, is it?

12. 2plus2equals5

Blah, blah, blah.
    If i was sony i would reopen it at e3.

13. BloodyJoe

Cool then they can release Beyond Good & Evil on PS3!

14. Mystic Sage

So where do we go to select our 2 free games we get?