Witcher 2 patched, goes DRM free

Friday, 27th May 2011 00:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

CD Projekt has released the delayed v1.1 patch for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and explained that mystifying mention of “simpler and more reliable game installation and activation”.

The reference to simpler activation appeared in the initial patch notes, but was detailed on the Witcher website.

“The most noticeable change is the removal of the DRM protection world-wide. This gives players the freedom to install and play the game on any number of computers, and no activation code is required,” the post reads.

“Other notable improvements include frame rate increases of approximately up to 30 [percent], especially noticeable on DRMed versions and low spec systems”.

This seems to suggest the DRM system initially utilised in non-GOG and Steam copies of the game was responsible for some of the problems experienced by players.

CD Projekt’s Adam Badowski released a statement on the matter saying DRM doesn’t meet the company’s “philosophy” of rewarding players for purchasing its games.

“Our approach to countering piracy is to incorporate superior value in the legal version,” he wrote.

“This means it has to be superior in every respect: less troublesome to use and install, with full support, and with access to additional content and services. So, we felt keeping the DRM would mainly hurt our legitimate users.”

Noting that the primary function of the game’s DRM – to keep it from leaking pre-release – had been served, Badowski said CD Projekt moved to shed the system once problems were discovered.

“Pre-release tests showed only small performance differences compared to the DRM-free (GOG.com) versions. We were unpleasantly surprised when some of our fans reported much larger differences, up to 30% lower framerates. This was another clear signal that we had to remove DRM as soon as possible – the quality of our users’ gameplay experience is absolutely our number one priority!”

Patch 1.1 must be downloaded and installed manually.

A Witcher-related announcement is expected at E3.

Thanks, 1UP.

1. Noodlemanny

Wow. I wonder how many idiots with go out and buy the game once they find out the DRM is lifted and how the frame rate has improved. Don’t get me wrong, these are both bad and annoying things, but don’t base your opinion of a game on them.

2. YoungZer0

@1: Absolutely legit reasons. You can’t enjoy the game if it stutters every second. You can’t enjoy the game if you can’t play it because of DRM.

Anyway, Amazing news.

3. Big_Boss

Bought the game on steam, started playing on release day. Love it. Patch comes out, 9Gb download. WTF Steam!?

Apparently Steam deletes the file that is updated by the patch and downloads a patched version of the file. It so happens the file is 9Gb. D:

4. YoungZer0

Lucky me, i guess. Downloading the 15 MB patch right now. :)

5. Dralen

Damn that’s amazing! CD Projekt are fast becoming my favourite developer.

6. ultramega

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Downloading now!

7. ultramega

My performance is wayyy up, and 1440p now works for me =)

8. Phoenixblight

It has done nothing for me and I bought the retail version. Sad panda.

9. viralshag

I’m loving the game but I wish they had included some way to sort your inventory.

10. Edo

Definitely some major improvements:no frame drops(so far),can change key bindings,making potions(and other stuff)in meditation mode is much easier(you don’t have to press button for each potion when making).

11. NeoSquall

This reminds me I haven’t installed the game yet. And I have Geralt bust from the CE staring at me right now…

12. bpcgos