Aperture Science adds mysterious new countdown clock

Friday, 15th April 2011 02:50 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Rumours that Portal 2 will be released ahead of schedule have gained extra weight. The Aperture Science website has been updated with a mysterious countdown, ticking over the seconds until 9am Friday morning (PDT).

Australian Kotaku reader Trevor Holland has been keeping a close eye on the super-comprehensive Valve ARG wiki, and spotted the update.

The news follows a week of Portal 2-themed updates and experiments in an amazingly complex alternate reality game.

At the moment, all signs are pointing to “Probably” with regard to an early release, but some gamers are holding out hope that Friday’s update will refer instead to another eagerly-awaited Valve title, Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

With less than nine hours left to go, the Aperture Science website has been updated. The countdown is still ticking over, but a note has been left underneath, written in a very familiar style.

“You have done well, humans. Very well. Acceptably well, even.”

As to whether or not the clock is counting down to the early release of Portal 2, nothing more has been revealed. We’re simply told:

“The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.”

1. Dralen

The Steam forums are going absolutely crazy over this.

2. freedoms_stain

It’d be fucking hilarious if it count down to an announcement of a delay :p

I can say this and be amused cus I won’t be home this weekend to play it early anyhoo :D

3. Phoenixblight

Delay of what there are no games announced by Valve other than Portal 2 and thats not going to happen unless Valve feels like paying for a recall. I am thinking a demo of Portal 2 to be honest.

4. DSB

Portal 2 is updating on Steam right now.

I’m leaning towards release. I doubt Valve would risk jerking people around for a demo. It’s way too much work, and its directed at people who’ve almost certainly preordered the game.

The clues left in the ARG seem very suggestive of it. I wonder if they’re going to trick out the client itself though.

5. Phoenixblight

I preordered it but I got the PS3 version so reward the people who got it for Steam but screw the people that went for console or physical version. Makes perfect sense *rolls eyes*

Updating the game has nothing to do with anything Fallout Vegas received a patch or update 3 days prior to release. Thats why Steam is great, automatic patching.

6. Dralen

@4 I got to agree. I’ve never seen an update for a completed pre-load before :O. Something crazy is going to happen tomorrow that’s for sure.

7. DSB

@5 So favoring your own delivery system doesn’t make sense? Aren’t PS3 customers afforded a digital version? I haven’t really been keeping up with that.

Either way, updating a game while pointing people to a countdown, after very strongly suggesting that your release date in fact equalled an earlier date, in an extremely elaborate ARG, would make a demo somewhat of an anticlimax.

You’re certianly entitled to your skepticism though. In 13 hours we’ll know.

For my money, making your most dedicated fans, people who buy (or at least bought for a higher cost) a 32 euro indie bundle, spend so much time on an AR game to promote a demo launch makes no sense, unless you’re knowingly trying to disappoint people.

I think Valve would realize that. At the very least, this is going to be something a lot more significant than that.

8. Dralen

Aaaaaaaah! Stop messing with me Valve! They have really sucked me into their hype train, I haven’t been this hyped up over a game in I can’t remember how long.

9. Phoenixblight

” Aren’t PS3 customers afforded a digital version? I haven’t really been keeping up with that”

You get a code inside the case for it. SO I have to wait for it.

Once Steam has it unlocked if this is the case then all digital distributors will unlock as well. SO it won’t be just Steam getting the game. It would be throwing the middle finger at the fans that do not have the internet connection, PC to play the game, or just want a physical version. I just don’t see it as good business.

10. Alfakyn

This is getting too insane for my membrain

11. Edo

This Portal 2 advertisement is becoming annoying as hell,WE KNOW THAT IT IS GETTING OUT SO GTFO ALREADY!!!!!!!!

12. El_MUERkO

My Portal 2 is patching, me thinks at 9am PST or 4pm UK time we shall be playing Portal 2.

13. Fin

I’m going to buy the 360 version, but don’t think I can wait a week if it releases on Steam today…

14. DSB

@9 Seems like they’re doing one last puzzle and leaving it up to the AR crew when it’s released.

Brick and mortar retailers have been breaking streetdates like there’s no tomorrow, I don’t recall ever seeing digital consumers damning them to hell when it happens.

What other digital distributors are carrying it?

I can see how you’d feel cheated for buying a console version, but we’re only talking about two days. Steam is the native platform, and I’d say those nerds deserve a bit of fan service for playing along with the AR game. As evident from this article and hundreds more, it’s been very very good, practically free advertising for Portal 2. I definitely wouldn’t call it bad business.