Ad campaigns for BF3 and next CoD to cost “a couple hundred million dollars”

Wednesday, 6th April 2011 22:20 GMT By John Callaham

One of the biggest game battles this fall will be between ad campaigns for two big FPS games, according to the head of Electronic Arts.

Gamasutra reports that EA CEO John Riccitiello told an audience at the Ad Age Digital Conference this week that he expects EA’s Battlefield 3 and Activision’s next Call of Duty game to generate “a couple hundred million dollars [worth of] marketing”.

Activision has yet to announce anything official about the next game in the Call of Duty series, although the game’s official reveal is expected sometime in April, as Activision has a history of revealing the first details about Call of Duty games during this month.

1. PenTaFH

Up front, I’m not trolling, this is what I think.

Activision and CoD shouldn’t bother anymore with marketing. What I’ve seen so far made me 100% convinced that Battlefield 3 will be blowing away all Black Ops and MW2 sales. Also, I still feel love for PC gamers with DICE.

IW, Treyarch and Sledgehammer can, imho, suck it.

2. Erthazus

“Battlefield 3, which got its official reveal at GDC, is “designed to take [Call of Duty] down” according to Riccitiello.”

I afraid these words. It’s like he is saying about making that game more casual and for dude bros.
    But even the adds won’t help them. There is a huge difference/distinction in the fanbase. No matter what, bros are going to buy Call Of Duty FIRST. Because there are EXPLOSIONS, FECES flying everywhere, Russian SOVIET badass soldiers with terrorists that are worshipping in the red square and simple interface with small maps and simple mechanics. These types of games always win when it comes to sales. always. Nothing can stop them.

I expect Battlefield 3 to sell for 7-10 million units which is absolutely enough for this game. Even previous 5-6 million of bad company 2 was enough. You don’t need 20 million seller to be a successfull game.

3. Gama_888

While it saddens me greatly to believe this, cod will win :’(

4. Lewis247

Do you know what bugs me? Saying call of duty will ‘win’

In what sense are we talking about here? You’r kidding yourself if you think battlefield is going to come anywhere damn near cod’s sales, but that doesn’t mean it has ‘lost’.

C’mon clearly the true battle lies in the gameplay and campaign and I don’t see how battlefield can loose with the show of recent call of duty installments.

And yes as others have said what scares me is games trying to beat call of duty. It is so dumbed down it seems to beat it you need to dumb down also rather than being creative.. if the next cod is as generic as the others then I don’t see how battlefield won’t cope.

Sure the next cod is going to be remembered for it’s sales but hopefully battlefield 3 will win the true prize of being remembered for it’s stellar gameplay.

5. Erthazus

@4 we are talking about sales, not the quality of it. Everyone know that BF3 will be the best FPS of this year.

This thread main topic is about sales that Ricitello says.

6. The_Red

Battlefield 3 may turn out to be a great game and maybe even better than any COD game but even if Activision doesn’t spend a penny on the marketing while EA spends 200 million dollars, BattleField 3 can’t take down COD.
    It’s not just going to happen overnight. Plus, COD has become more and more casual friendly and the only way BF can truly defeat COD is to lose everything that makes it unique and go the same set-piece after set-piece method.

7. DSB

Saw this one coming from miles away. Ricitiello is going to be breaking open his mattress for ad money.

@4 I don’t see it. Where’s this supposed massive application of skill in BC2 as opposed to CoD? Steering a couple of vehicles, that basically handle like footsoldiers on wheels? That’s not difficult in any way, shape or form.

It’s just as simple and reduced as any other multiplayer shooter. You take your mouse, you point it at someone, and then you press the button. The maps are obviously different, but that’s still a question of preference and design philosophy.

In terms of campaigns CoD has always been the no nonsense shooting gallery, but you’d be hard pressed to deny that BC2 went above and beyond the call to mimick that with the latest installment, bad Russian crooks and big flashy weapons of mass destruction included.

Monkey see, monkey do.

@5 So in one thread you’re slamming a guy for predicting what a game will be like without ever having touched it, and in another you do the exact same thing? Morals, Erth ;)

BF3 would have to outdo Valves Portal 2 and Splash Damages Brink for that to happen. Maybe the Duke and Serious Sam as well, although my hopes aren’t pinned on those.

I remember people saying that BC2 was going to blow everything else away before that came out too, but what we got was a bog standard shooter that allowed you to take out a few walls. Hardly an instant classic.

8. datass

Yo dawgs, are you already played BF3?

After reading your comments i’m sure you are…

9. albo88

the fact is that this winter will come so much great AAA titles that it will be hard to predict sells and bullshit

10. LOLshock94

u do relize that bf will get pushed bk nd so will other AAA games

11. LOLshock94

@5 nd u sed crysis wud be the best fps this year nd u were clearly wrong

12. Erthazus

@11, i never said that. Crysis 2 was my personal anticipated game, but the best one? Hell, never.

@DSB, ” So in one thread you’re slamming a guy for predicting what a game ”

No, i’m not slamming the guy. He just started to say something about the quality when the topic is about marketing campaign and sales that Ricitello says.
    The fact is you can’t beat Call Of |duty in sales. Want to beat it? You need to make a similar game that is just better looking and just better.
    Battlefield 3 is different. Sure it’s a shooter but the similarities ends almost here.

“I remember people saying that BC2 was going to blow everything else away”

That game still blows by what DICE made with destruction, graphics engine. Some major bugs (but when there was a game from DICE or from other devs without them?). It was a very enjoysble spinnoff.
    But Battlefield 3 is going to be fantastic, because it’s just a main series. 6 years for F sake.

13. Blerk

Do they even need to spend a single dollar on marketing Call of Duty at this point?

It always amuses me that the biggest campaigns go on the stuff that’s already guaranteed to sell, whereas the smaller games that really need that money to raise awareness get kicked into the long grass and then berated for ‘not selling’.

14. pukem0n

cod buyers should keep buying cod.

i dont want them trolling on my BF servers. although they are easy targets when they run and gun all the tiem :D

15. DSB

@Erth Well, fair enough.

It’s always going to be a question of preference whether you like one or the other, but I don’t think anyone’s going to remember BC2, BF1943, BC2: V or the Medal of Honor multiplayer 10 years from now. It just wasn’t new.

It takes more than destruction and tech to impress me at least. You have to use it properly, too.

I just wouldn’t call BF3 a sure thing based on the most recent things they’ve done. DICE have been asleep at the wheel ever since they made BF2 in my opinion.

I’ll still buy BF3 though, there’s no way around it :P

@14 Funny, I had the opposite experience going from MW2 to BC2. In MW2 you actually have to be fast. In BC2, people are just kinda jogging along lobbing ‘nades at the walls.

Maybe they’re too busy marvelling at the amazing engine to fire back?

16. AHA-Lambda

please tell me marketing campaigns of this size are not the norm for games nowadays? No wonder we see half of the bullshit in this industry when so much rides on bought hype.