DICE: Shooter competitors are just “treading water”

Monday, 28th March 2011 01:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DICE’s Karl Magnus Troedsson has said competing shooter series like the Call of Duty series aren’t innovating, they’re just keeping their heads above water.

“The competitors … are out there, they’re established, and they’re very, very big,” the general manager told games.on.net.

“We … are investing our time, our energy and money in actually innovating.”

Troedsson was dismissive of the idea that DICE should hold Battlefield 3 up for comparison with other series.

“Every time that we launch a new game, we ask ourselves – what can we do better? What can we make faster? More fun? So, first and foremost we always compete with ourselves,” he said, adding that the “blockbuster weight” of Battlefield 3 will help overcome opposition.

The manager mentioned that unlike the Bad Company series, Battlefield 3 is a “real” and “proper” sequel to Battlefield 2. It’s due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Northern autumn.

1. Erthazus

“We … are investing our time, our energy and money in actually innovating.”

huge step with graphics, huge step with destruction. I hope that they can deliver and not dissapoint fans *cough* Crysis 2 *cough*

2. Ercarret

I love DICE. I loved BF:BC2. But all this? This, “Oh, our competition doesn’t move things forwward” smack talk? Seems like it’s been a lot of that recently, and I’m not sure that’s such a wise move. Sure, they’re right about CoD, but is BF3 any different? Somewhat, for sure, but enough to warrant these remarks about their competition? I don’t know.

I haven’t seen enough of BF3 to really make any calls regarding how it moves things forward (or not), but that’s kind of what worries me. At this point, it feels like it’s all talk from DICE, and no … eh, well, whatever.* No proof that they’re any better. No actual innovations from their side.

Perhaps that’ll change as the release (and before that, E3) draws closer. But right now? I’m wary.

* Note to self: learn to finish your own sentences.

3. DSB

No matter how good your engine is, you’re still gonna have to squeeze it into three different platforms.

Bragging didn’t work too good for Crytek, and I think they’re off on even more of a tangent here. The FPS has ultimately changed incredibly little since they started letting you aim for yourself.

And “competing with themselves”? Christ, be more of a douche.

4. Big_Boss

@2, 3

Why the hate? Sure they haven’t released the game so we can’t tell if they’re gonna deliver. But at least they’re saying exactly what everyone wants them to say. Everyone is getting tired of the same COD being released 3 times and possibly more. At least they’re aware of the problem and know that if they want to gain respect from players and attract more people to play their game they need to address the problem (stale games). I mean if Modern Warfare 3 or whatever the next COD’s gonna be called is gonna run on the COD4 engine again I’m gonna be very disappointed.

I need something new and something well executed. If DICE is willing to promise this new experience and put their reputation on the line, let them. I don’t think they’ve said anything over the top as of now. I don’t like it when developers get cocky and it becomes obvious that they are just bullshiting people like Crytek. Based on DICE’s past performance I’m not worried. I think they’re doing all the right things to deliver an excellent game.

5. Grimrita

Cant argue with DICE here. They have brought innovation to the FPS genre. After all, I have never seen over sized hit boxes, bullet proof leaves and even invisible bullet proof walls in any game before. Nice one!

But on a side note, Frostshite needs to be better than it is now because it is a shit engine. Looks nice, but when it comes down to the fundamentals of an FPS, it cant deliver.

6. loki

Hypocrites.
    Innovation in Bad Company 2 – PC port.
    Innovation in Boringfield 3 – squalid PS3 and Xbox 360 ports.
    Dice, you so inovative

7. Christopher Jack

Innovation doesn’t always equal quality, but DICE hasn’t really done anything innovative that I’ve noticed, well they did set a standard for FPS with BF1943, which from that spawned two of my favourite games-Star Wars: Battlefront (1 & 2), they’re 2 out of 5 games that I would set my PS2 up for. If only the BC PS3 didn’t launch for $829 here =\
    Incredible to think that Sony were losing money on every console sold, were the circuits made out of gold? :P

8. polygem

@3: it didnt work for crysis2 ? I hear people saying that but i really cant see why… I think it worked absolutely great and its an awesome looking game for every platform. Consoles are the main market for videogames these days. Thats just how it is. Developers have to deal with that to stay in competition. Traditional pc developers even more so… Crytek did well imo. Really well. I believe bf3 wont fail either and will also show some innovative, cool stuff. But they are not the only ones trying to refresh the fps genre (which i love)… Theres id with rage and splash d. With brink. Its a good year for shooters…and still i like my stupid but technically super fluid black ops competitive free for all cod gameplay fix once in a while….On an xbox yep. So what…

9. DeathJynx

@7 was the random troll remark really called for? CPU Technology development cost them a pretty $400million. At their price point plus blu ray, ps3′s were grotesquely under priced. Anyway… they are hyping this game so much that it is almost turning me off. Hence lowering my expectations for it. Which in return will probably make it a better first impression. I kinda like this marketing ploy, assuming they deliver. Black Ops was the most hyped game of all time, and EVERYONE was sure that it was gonna be ground breaking. Almost without questions. Look how well all that hype did for black ops… aka the worest fps sequel ever made. If DICE can generate this much attention, before EA even begins their heavy marketing campaign that will come inevitably, then good for them. Someone needs to push boundaries and get cod of its undeserved pedastol.

10. DeathJynx

@8 technically super fluid? I hope your not refferning to the animations/controls. Because that is problably one of my biggest complaints. How shitty the character controls are in that game. As far as responsivness and animation reactions go, MW2 is God. Say what you want about gameplay, but never have I felt like I had more control over a character then I did in MW2. The seniors at infinity really knew what they where doing. Call it cheap, but 180 drop shot head shots and 720 quick scopes off of roof tops where only so rewarding because it felt like a huge accomplishment to earn that degree of control.

11. Christopher Jack

@9, I know, but the production costs don’t include R&D (I don’t think) but the Cell must have also been expensive to produce too. Imagine how much cheaper (& easier to develop for) if the Sony stuck with a traditional PowerPC & simply one upped MS with a hecta core CPU & a much more powerful GPU, more memory also would have helped.

Still amazing how the PS3 is selling despite it’s price, they will beat MS in total home consoles sold before the end of this generation (assuming the PS continues to sell at a steady rate) but next one could go either way, if I were Sony i would just wait for MS to release their next console than just drastically improve upon their final design.

12. YoungZer0

Mirror’s Edge was innovative to a degree. But why all this smacktalk? Come on! Who are you bullshitting? Battlefield 3 is not going to be innovative.

13. StolenGlory

I agree. The smacktalk reeks of insecurity which is silly when anyone with half a brain in their skull knows that the BF frachise is pretty fucking decent to start with.

14. scuz

Twat marketing dept

15. xino

““We believe that they are not innovating, that they are treading water,” he added.”

exactly!

everyone is just copy and pasting what others are doing!

I can’t wait to finish my course then I’ll design my own FPS game, that brings the fun back to FPSes and isn’t a copy and pasted game.

I still don’t get the concept of Bodycount, it’s meant to be fun and better than Black, so far it looked more like another generic FPS:/

16. viralshag

I just hope they bring out another great game. No need for smacktalk, just tell me it’s going to look amazing and fantastic, and give me some more gameplay trailers to show it off.

Let your game do the talking.

17. ManuOtaku

Guys iam confused here, this is Battlefield 3, not Battlefield Bad Company 3, right, because i didnt notice this before, but it got my attention right now.

18. Christopher Jack

@17, Direct sequel, not another crappy Bad Company spin off.

19. Grimrita

it might be shit marketing dept but they have us talking about it….again lol

20. DSB

@8 Well, it all depends on the eyes that see I guess.

If you’re just looking at sales, then obviously Crytek is still a very succesful developer. If you’re looking at the actual product, then they’ve shot themselves in the foot five times over.

Thousands of genuine PC players still can’t play online due to fucked accounts and bad serials, or have to give up their nicknames. People are bitching about the quality of the different platforms versions, and the AI is simply the worst it’s ever been in a Crytek game.

When you hold that up to the pretty uninhibited bragging they were doing before the game came out, that just makes them look like idiots.

As an over the top action game it’s certainly not bad, but don’t try to tell me it stands out on anything but graphics.

@4 There’s no difference between saying you’re so good that you’re only competing with yourself, and what Crytek did. Same shit, different asshole. Except DICE haven’t moved anything forward since 2005.

21. ManuOtaku

#18, Thank you, now to put my worries to rest, not that i didnt enjoy Bad company, but i prefer the direct sequel too.

22. Hybridpsycho

So much ignorance in alot of post I’m not even gonna bother.

23. ManuOtaku

Well i know this way of talking is not the best to promote you or your games, at least as a humble developer or human being, but let me tell you DICE is pretty much stating the truth, the former call of duty games are pretty much the same thing, and i prefer not a every year same king of game, that a game that takes a few years, but that tries to innovate.
    The problem with this, is that now you will be messure by your own words so you better watch out. DICE, in other words you have to deliver.

24. OrbitMonkey

I’m seriously considering pre-ordering this. Limited edition. Just need some ps3 images/gameplay. Never played any of the others, so forgive the daft question. Is it likely to be squad based like Ghost Recon? Hate squad based :(

25. YoungZer0

@24: Recommend you rent Bad Company 2 first.

26. DSB

Really, theres no way you can not buy BF3. Even if you are worried about the fact that it’ll be on consoles or you weren’t impressed by the last few DICE games, it IS BF3, and as you can see from above, they’re very much using that brand to appeal to peoples sense of nostalgia. Personally I can’t not take the bait. It’s BF3, as in BF2+1.

@23 No argument there, CoD is certainly the symbol of that for a lot of people, but DICE have been just as stagnant as everybody else. “Let’s make holes in the walls” doesn’t constitute any kind of advance for the FPS. Red Faction did that a million years ago. In 2005 they were the biggest innovators on the scene, but they’ve barely moved an inch since then.

They even kept the same disastrous levelling system they had in BF2.

27. UuBuU

The COD series doesn’t need to be innovative any more. They have their huge fanbase of monkeys. A few new perks here and there, and the monkeys will throw money at them annually.

Then again, I haven’t exactly seen anything from BF3 yet which makes me think of the word innovation. I’ve seen strides forward in graphics and effects, but nothing which makes me think “wow, this looks completely new and different from any FPS game i’ve ever seen before”.

28. DeathJynx

I don’t think Black Ops is ANYTHING like MW2. But cod4/waw/black ops are pretty much reskins.