Homefront ships 2.4 million worldwide, sells 1 million units

Thursday, 24th March 2011 20:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ’s announced that it’s shipped 2.4 million units of Homefront since it launched last week.

In addition, the Kaos shooter, which sees the US invaded by a United Korea, sold 1 million units in its first week on sale.

“We are very pleased with strong worldwide shipments and sell-through for Homefront, and we continue to fulfill new retail orders for the game across the globe,” said THQ president and CEO, Brian Farrell.

“Homefront is clearly resonating with gamers and we are certainly pleased with our initial sales results.”

The game saw a heavy promotional effort, arguably the biggest in THQ’s history, and went in earlier this week at number one in the UK charts.

However, reviews were very mixed, with Meta scores now at 71, 70 and 69 for the 360, PS3 and PC versions respectively.

1. Crysis

impressive

2. Gekidami

So the marketing worked then. Shame the game really doesnt deserve it.

3. Johnny Cullen

As Alex has just pointed out to me, it’s 2.4 million units, not 2.6 million units shipped. D’oh.

4. lexph3re

Smh… if only good games shared this marketing and not expected to sell themselves

5. OrbitMonkey

Hopefully they will improve on the good, cut out the bad. I mean more competition can only be a good thing.

6. The_Red

Just shows how uber expensive marketing is the only thing you need to make a millions selling video games. Good level design, great visuals, deep and innovative gameplay and other lame stuff aren’t for the mass market that just wants to buy clone modern military shooters with big marketing budgets.

7. Gekidami

Being a modern day setting FPS probably helped too. They’re all pretty much surfing on the CoD craze this gen.

8. loki

1 million idiots

9. xino

i’m so happy, I just sold my Homefront for £40:)

piece of shit garbage game on ps3!

thank god I bought it for £31!
    damn amazong tax i should get £33 back.

good enough, will use money on a better game!

10. Crysis

I want the Modern-warfare stylized FPS to quickly die out, it was great in the PS2 era with BF2, but now it’s just craptastic.

11. triggerhappy686

I just finished campain last night, its eh… not bad, but not that good either. No major faults but no stand out moments either. Finished it in about 5 hours, in all honesty it was an enjoyable 5 hours even with the cheesey dialog. Last mission is actually pretty good. If it gets a meatier sequel then I would play it again as a lead in for the new one.

12. polygem

ok then….great marketing for a supermediocore game…not deserved…played it…was bored….played the mp as well…even more boring…who needs an uninspired lazy game like this one…noone does.

13. triggerhappy686

^^ It might pave the way for a decent sequel. Who Knows. Suppose its hard to get new IP going these days, in that genre anyway. I wouldnt mind seeing more of this universe.

14. M. K.

I know a few people who bought this game just to get something else than the “always same” CoD or BF experience and all of them have a lot of fun online. I wont buy it though. There’s no demo and there’re a few games waiting for me in the next months :P

15. RandomTiger

I enjoyed it.

16. viralshag

Good for the game, I guess. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews for Homefront but it didn’t do much for me to warrant a purchase.

I do think it’s sad the game is getting a lot of hate from people who have never played it.