Oblivion’s horse armour still selling

Thursday, 17th March 2011 00:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Players are still buying Oblivion’s first and most famous piece of DLC, the notorious horse armour, Bethesda’s Pete Hines has said.

“In one respect everything we’ve done has done well, including the much maligned horse armour,” Hines said, speaking to OXM.

“I swear to you – I don’t have the report in front of me, but multiple people bought horse armour yesterday! For some inexplicable reason. It happened, I promise.”

Hines said so that what matters most to players is value, but timing can be vital to the success or failure of DLC.

“Really what we try to find the sweet spot for is: what does it cost, what do they get, and – something that’s not often talked about, but that’s important to us – how long will it take us to get it out?

“We don’t want them having to wait forever to get something, so we try to find the right mix of time and expense and content that works, and what that formula will be down the road, I can’t say today for sure.”

The horse armour, a minor upgrade for mounts which cost 200 MS Points, was the first piece of DLC released for Oblivion. Its trivial nature, combined with fan expectation for large expansions and modules, was a byword in anti-Bethesda feeling for several years.

[image]

1. pukem0n

most useful piece of DLC out there :D

2. Bloodyghost

lol. There are some of my friends who bought the armor because they told me they wanted “THE COMPLETE” expereince.

Bethesda clearly brewed this up as a joke….

..I hope.

3. hitnrun

Do you think Bethesda realizes that they’re tea-bagging their customers in the face with their annual People Are Still Buying That Horse Armor You Guys Found Insulting declaration, or not?

4. UuBuU

The horse armour was a stupid mistake, but a completely forgiveable one given how Bethesda not only allows, but also encourages extensive modding for their PC games.

In a way I find it hilarious that PC gamers get thousands upon thousands of great mods to choose from for free, meanwhile 360 gamers get this meager crap and have to pay for it. More fool them for buying a vastly inferior version of the game.

5. Ireland Michael

More hilariously, horse armour is far from the worst example of minor update DLC anymore.

Though honestly, I’ve always preferred paid cosmetic upgrades and free extra content over free cosmetic upgrades and paid content. The cosmetic stuff essentially adds nothing new to the game, whereas as new content does.

6. Hunam

Horse Armour looks alright compared to 400points for a character in MvC 3.

7. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s no different to the downloads for Dead Space 2 in my books. It’s a skin and a few numbers. No more than that.

8. Dralen

Ah, back when DLC was reasonably priced. Those were the days.

9. mojo

if it gives advantage to the player which u cant achieve with only the game, than its not skin, its not numbers, its not content. its a cheat. period.
    in the same way the ds2 weapon packs are cheats.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

Let’s look at say Vanquish, where you get three completely new weapons free as DLC. They play differently, they require a fair bit of work, as the shape and the construction assets need to be sorted out. That’s good shit.

Dead Space 2 – a game I really like by the way – has a different colour scheme for a weapon, and it does +10% damage or something. That costs money? It probably took the programmers all of a day to create every single DLC pack. :^/ For shame.

11. Blerk

Did anyone even use the horses in Oblivion? They were terrible!