Ubisoft on Beyond Good and Evil 2: “Keep the faith”

Thursday, 24th February 2011 18:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

As George Michael once said, you gotta have faith.

Beyond Good & Evil HD producer Wang Xu has said that those still hanging onto dear life on Beyond Good and Evil 2 should still sit tight.

Speaking to Eurogamer, all Xu would say was: “Keep the faith.”

“Yes it is true; please buy Beyond Good & Evil HD if you want more BG&E games,” he jokingly added when asked if the HD re-release was being used as a test bed for the sequel.

“For real… I don’t know.”

Literally for eions – or at least nearly three years – all has been quiet on the Beyond Good and Evil 2 front since its first showing at Ubidays, with Ubisoft boss Yves Guilemot saying last year that it has to be perfect.

“What is very important with this next product is that it will be perfect,” he said at gamescom last August.

“Michel Ancel’s intention is to come [out] with something really exciting. But everybody needs a little bit of patience.”

Beyond Good and Evil HD releases on March 2 for Xbox Live Arcade.

1. Wesker

Do it as an XBLA/PSN game and release it in Episodes!

What?! Who gave me that idea … stupid.

2. Bloodyghost

I am losing faith.

I am losing my religion – REM

3. Moonwalker1982

I just don’t get them, first they released that BG&E2 trailer, lots of people looking forward to it. Only to keep quiet after that, not show anything and eventually just say the development is ‘on hold’ or something like that. Seriously…why?

4. DSB

Ubisoft are scared of making good games for some reason.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

That concept trailer looked phenomonal. I never completed the gamecube version of this, may give it a second look when it’s on sale.

6. Moonwalker1982

A little bit of patience…right. Doubt we’ll ever see a second one. I guess they are afraid not enough people will play it, and they would be right about that too sadly.

7. Shonak

@4: word. Ubisoft has very ambitious games but since BG&E no game was really that impressive. They try to build up depth and try to be intelligent, but they just scratch at the surface. BG&E was like a breath of fresh air, and I hope the second one will be at least as good.

8. Blerk

If they build it, I shall come.

No, wait – that sounded bad! :-D

9. onlineatron

No, I’m pretty sure George Michael was too busy at the banana stand to say something like ‘You gotta have faith’.

10. TheWulf

I’d love to see them return to the stylised approach of the original Beyond Good & Evil, though. The sad part with the trailer is that it looked like they ditched a fully fledged colour palette that resulted in a game as pretty as a picture for a limited one that looked like an old greyscale photograph that’d been dropped in mud.

I think/hope the reason they went quiet is to take another look at their art assets, and thus realised why their first game was a success. I hope that the next time we see a trailer, it’ll be in the more stylised and colourful look of the original game.