Infinity Ward: Modern Warfare 2 security patch in QA

Wednesday, 16th February 2011 10:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Infinity Ward’s confirmed that its security patch for Modern Warfare 2 has now finished production and has gone into QA.

No release date has been decided for the update, though.

“The latest patch for Modern Warfare 2 has finished production and is now going through internal quality assurance. This new title update will address security issues that have affected online play,” community boss Rob Bowling said on the IW forums.

“We plan to release this update for all platforms (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and PC). No release date is set at this time. Once an ETA is established, it will be posted here.”

The update will also fix a exploit on multiplayer map Fuel.

The update comes after Infinity Ward said it’ll no longer rely on the security of the platform holders following PS3 being hacked in January.

1. StolenGlory

Cool!

I’ll be sure to send it to those folks in 2009.

2. freedoms_stain

@1, a lot of my friends have traded Black Ops in and gone back to MW2 as their CoD shooter of choice. There’s life in the old beast yet.

3. YoungZer0

@1: Lol, so true. Though i actually enjoyed the multiplayer in MW2 more than i did with BO. Probably because i was freaking overpowered with my stealth options. BO tweaked that and now i don’t have the power. Also the maps in MW2 were a lot better than any map from BO. Still have issues with respawning.

4. StolenGlory

“As their CoD shooter of choice”.

I see what you did there ;)

5. OlderGamer

As a related note MW2 just was put on Games on Demand for xbl. And that pretty cool. Whats not cool is the 60usd price they are asking for it. I am not a CoD nut, but if I was I could get the game from a lot of stores for 15usd – 25usd.

And the reason I wouldn’t get a copy either way(assuming I could settle for its lack of depth) would be the DLC required to get caught up with the rest of the active fan base.

60usd and what another 60usd for the map packs? Was it 60 or was it more? All said it means 120usd or more on an old and already replaced CoD.

Leads me to wonder what the hell is Acti smoking?

6. freedoms_stain

@5, Me and some friends were talking about On Demand last night and the ridiculousness of the prices. But I’ll wager it’s a publisher thing.

MW2 costs £39.99 on xbox Games On Demand, it also costs £39.99 on Steam, that seems to fit with Activisions policy of putting a premium price on CoD. MW2 is almost a year and a half old and it’s still demanding a price that is in fact more expensive than the average £29.99 price tag for brand new titles on Steam.

The more disturbing fact is that publishers return ~70% of the asking price on digital distribution titles vs 30% for brick and mortar, so the asking price is in fact more than doubly inflated.