Toshiba shows off glasses-free 3DTVs at CES

Wednesday, 5th January 2011 18:46 GMT By Johnny Cullen

3dtv ffxiii

Toshiba’s shown off glasses-free 3DTVs at CES today following small launches of 12″ and 20″ models in Japan at the end of last year.

Showing off Final Fantasy XIII with 56″ and 65″ TVs in Las Vegas, execs at Toshiba have apparently said it’ll “probably launch two models, one over 40-inches and another over 50-inches”.

The company’s head of visual products, Atsushi Murasawa, has apparently said it’ll release these TVs outside of Japan.

“These will not only be for the Japanese market, but also America, Europe and China,” he said, as quoted by Reuters.

No word on prices or dates on the TVs.

Now look who’s laughing

Last year, Toshiba promised it would launch glasses-free 3DTVs. It’s also shown off a glasses-free 3D laptop at CES.

It all comes despite skepticism from SCEE 3D boss, Mick Hocking, when he said that glasses-free 3DTVs were far out from becoming a reality.

“The only way at the moment of achieving high-definition, high quality 3D on a TV is via some form of glasses,” Hocking told VG247 at gamescom in Cologne in August last year.

“There are methods that are called autostereoscopic where you don’t require glasses, but these are limited in various ways. They only work for a typically single viewer, and they can only show a small amount of depth, so for very small screens they’re OK.

“And you scale them up to a big screen; they don’t work very well at all. There are no technologies at the moment to do glasses-free technology on TVs, and I don’t think that’s going to change for a while, actually, because any way you try and do it glasses-free on TV is incredibly complex.

“The cost would be very high, even if someone could develop it.”

Hocking wouldn’t be drawn if glasses-free 3D would form part of a PSP successor in the future.

Nintendo, meanwhile, is set to launch a glasses-free 3D SKU of DS, 3DS, on February 26 in Japan.

A March release has been confirmed in Europe and US, with formal dates expected to be announced in two weeks time in Amsterdam and New York.

Thanks, Engadget.

1. Suikoden Fan

i’m no fan of 3d but skeptisism coming from SCEE? scee you are the worst company of this gen you have no right to be skeptical of anyone or thing.

2. Erthazus

Toshiba kicks ass. I want to see a price for these 3D TV’s.

3. MushroomStamp

I almost feel bad for all those suckers that bought 3D tv’s before a standard was set and have to wear the tard glasses.

4. Dralen

Having never seen one of these, I struggle to imagine how good these tv’s actually look in 3D. Trying to imagine something coming out of the screen without any glasses boggles my mind.

5. Suikoden Fan

@4 great way to scare kids though “if you dont shut up beetlejuice will come out of the tv and get you!”

6. Hunam

@Suko Fan:

They were the worst last gen and the gen before. It’s embarrassing how poor SCEE is compared to SCEA or SCEJ.

7. theevilaires

@3 you feel bad for anyone buying anything PIRATE!

@4 I have the latest SONY Bravia 3D tv that uses glasses and its amazing if you’re into 3D, but 3D as a whole doesn’t necessarily make games or movies better…..well maybe movies.

For instance CoD Black Ops uses 3D. Its really cool as the gun pops off the screen in your face and you feel like you have it in your hands, but its hard to get kills (at least for me) using 3D. I don’t know why but it just is. I hope it doesn’t apply to FPS because I’m looking forward to KZ3.

Any other games like Super Star Dust HD is awesome and playing that in 3D is worth it.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hey Tea, you play that Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D demo yet? Curious how Motorstorm looks in 3D

9. theevilaires

Yes I did specifically at your request and it ROCKS! One of the best 3D games out. Your Car pops out, weather effects, water, mud, the tress all pop out very good and balanced. Can’t wait for Motorstorm Apocalypse.

Cheapy D played it he said and it was awesome (and he’s a XBOT). So if that demo uses the same tech then we are in for a good treat.

10. osric90

I’m sticking to my old 56′ 1080p LCD TV… For at least 10 more years.

11. earlyrock

Buying (hopefully) a Sammy 3DTV in a month or so. The one I’ve found is much less than I thought i’d be paying so im pumped. Hopefully in 10 years when I need to upgrade that one, the glasses will be gone! Not for a few more years yet though, with the pricing and screen sizes.