Rumor: Planetside reboot to be revealed in March

Thursday, 9th December 2010 20:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

planetside_logo

SOE’s John Smedley has added more fuel to the Planetside reboot fire today, thanks to recent comments he made regarding the MMOFPS.

Speaking with Escapist, Smedley said SOE has a big game reveal planned for March 2011, alluding that it very well may be the long speculated Planetside reboot.

“It’s a big first person shooter franchise that we’re really happy with,” he said regarding the upcoming game, and saying it “could be” the reboot although Sony “haven’t technically announced it.”

Smedley goes on to say he may have revealed too much, stating: “This is the farthest I’ve gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me.”

Back in October 2009, we’d heard the retooling was called Planetside Next, but Smedley quickly but the boots to that when he said it was only the game’s “working title”.

Regardless, Smedley is a fan of Planetside, calling it “the coolest god-damned game” and declaring to be “so in love with” it.

Thanks, BigDownload, DSB.

1. Erthazus

I don’t think so that they can TOP FIREFALL.

2. Vistrix

This is HUGE news.

The game was awesome.

3. onlineatron

Chances of this being on PS3?

4. Gekidami

^ Good i’d say.

5. Erthazus

If it’s going to be on the PS3 than it’s automatically going to be dumbed down no matter how you put it. PS3 have not enough Ram to support decent MMOFPS with huge landscape (Planetside 1 used 512 MB ram for recommended settings because of the large scale battles). Unless graphics will be like in DC Universe Online.

If Planetside will be PC only, they have chance to take Firefall.

and i’m sure as hell want next Everquest to be only on PC and on the Ps4 or something next.

6. lovemoose

Yes. YES. YES!!!! I TELL YOU.

This is brilliant news. Planetside was the best multiplayer experience I’ve ever had in any game, ever.

7. DSB

Hopefully they’ll keep it off consoles. It might be an FPS, but it’s still a subscription based MMO first.

Very excite!

@6 I’m inclined to agree with you. Until they fucked up the rules and ruined the pacing, it was easily the most addictive MMO I’ve ever played. I’m amazed at how good that game was at making people work together.

8. El_MUERkO

I remember well piloting a Galaxy over a hotly contested base, one of five in convoy with air-support covering us as we flew to drop reinforcements, the front Galaxy was taken out by anti-air but the remaining four got through. The scale was beyond anything at the time few games have come close to it since.

Here’s hoping SOE have finally realized it’s potential and are going to do a reboot!

9. DSB

@8 I could swap stories like that all day. I don’t even understand what it was that made people act like that. In most other shooters they just ran around like chickens without heads, but in Planetside you had actual platoons, acting like actual platoons.

I think my highpoint was defending a bridge from about 150 blues with only 50 Vanu on my side. It took us a couple of hours until the zerg set in and purple won the day, but it was just a nonstop adrenaline rush.

Glad I’m not the only one that remembers it like that. Amazing game.