Rumor: Uncharted 3 to be set in the desert

Tuesday, 30th November 2010 05:16 GMT By Nathan Grayson

uncharted

Poor Nathan Drake. Last time he tackled the frozen tundra with a gaping hole in his side, and now he’s apparently headed to a place where there are multiple animal species betting their survival on the fact that – left to your own devices – you will eventually drop dead.

Why can’t someone just bury treasure at Disneyland for once?

According to a source that spoke with Kotaku, Uncharted 3′s stocking up on sunscreen, kissing the color green goodbye, and heading to the desert.

The same source also said that Sony’s big VGA reveal will be none other than Uncharted 3, so we’ll see whether or not this source is full of it soon enough. We’ll let you when/if it happens, or if Sony instead decides we’d be more interested in hearing about a 14th (or whatever number we’re on) video service for PS3.

1. Dralen

I’m guessing we’re gonna get amazing sand effects in this one then.

2. theevilaires

please be in 3D! If they squeeze more graphical prowess out of the RSX and make this look twice as good as UC2 I may have a heart attack.

3. Kuwabara

Even after a year of playing uncharted 2 i’m amazed at the graphics. I was watching avatar on blu ray last night, the collectors edition, and the graphics of the environments made me think that it was the same level as what i saw in uncharted 2. I was stunned. It tool me straight back to the natural environments of UC2.

4. OrbitMonkey

I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t in 3D and if it looked anything less than specfuckingtacular. CAN. NOT. WAIT. :D
    P.s. If it comes with Move support, I’ll finally buy one of those coloured dildo’s, 3rd person shooters can be superb with motion control (Resi4).

5. osric90

Please do not be 3D and be 1080p instead. And I don’t fuckin’ care if it’s in the desert or the under the sea (good info by the way!) I only care that it doesn’t come next year, it’s too fuckin’ soon. March 2012 please or something like that… They’ll need to work until 2012 if they want to get the 1080p resolution. Something really cool would be to have cooperative in a single PS3 (split-screen) even if the res downgraded to 480p for it…as Nate is ALWAYS or almost ALWAYS with somebody… Why not somebody human this time? I like being Nate and I like my hot AI friends, but be able to play it COOP (entirely) with a friend would be FUCKIN’ AWESOME… So make it 2012 please. Split screen coop (when finishing the game once) and 1080p… Lots of extras, perfect multiplayer and the other things the previous 2 had… Nauthy Dog, do it, I know you’re reading this. Yes, sure.

6. Crysis

@5, nah, you would need a 50″+ display & a magnifying glass to tell 720p & 1080p apart.
    Higher resoloution does not equal better graphics.
    I would rather a smoother framerate over higher reoloution any day, even though i do have a 1080p diplay but framedrops seriously piss me off.

7. Dralen

Someone hold me back before I say something I might regret.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

well, we only haven’t been to he Sahara yet, so it’s a logical choice and a good one too.

9. back_up

Awesome
    U3 will killed game once again

10. Herlock

Égypte \o/

11. Dannybuoy

It could be set in an Asda carpark for all I care. UC2 was and still is my best game of my life. Hands down. I’d buy the 3rd one in a heart beat. A desert setting would be good. At least there wouldn’t be a fight with a yeti. That yeti freaked me out

12. CaptPierce

Knowing Naughty Dog, they could make sand the most appealing thing in the world. I’ve always wanted the 3rd to be set in a desert. This series is my favorite of this current gen, and the 3rd will be well over the wait.

13. Michael O’Connor

Just make the gameplay and the experience fun, and that’s all that matters.

But it’s Uncharted, so I doubt that will be a problem. Can’t wait for this, whenever it happens.

14. themadjock

My controversial opinion is that I thought U2 was slightly overrated… no hate please. I thought the museum level and shangrala were dull and don’t start me on the final boss… Still liked it though and the characters made the game. If anyone on here hasn’t yet played Enslaved they should do asap, it has good graphics and the characters and acting are arguably better

15. Dannybuoy

@14. I agree there are a few slower sections, but think it helps the pacing and makes it all the more exciting when things do ramp up again.

16. Detale

Just finished my second playthrough of Enslaved and while it’s a really good game which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed, I wouldn’t put it in the same league as Uncharted 2. That game still stands head & shoulders above everything else I’ve played over the last few years. Can’t wait to see what they’ve got in store for U3.

17. AHA-Lambda

can not fucking wait!! :D

18. onlineatron

I suppose we’re going to have a Spec Ops/Uncharted 3 face off next year then if they are both desert bound.

19. Isaaclarke37

I am looking forward for this game, please Naughty Dog don’t make the game in 3D.

20. Erthazus

DESERT?
    DESERT?
    WHY THE FUCK IT IS DESERT
    I so hate this… If they are going to egypt i will kill all Naughty Dog staff myself *__*.

It’s boring for this type of game… But if they are going to Dubai than thats something. But i doubt about that when there is already a 3rd person AAA title that is set in Dubai.

@Crysis,
    “Higher resoloution does not equal better graphics.”

REALLY? I mean…. REALLY? Just go and play 720p and 1080p Crysis and you will see a huge difference.

1080p if it is done right with games will be noticable even with 32* TV’s

“nah, you would need a 50″+ display & a magnifying glass to tell 720p & 1080p apart.

for movies you need more than 32, but for games if it is done right. 1080p looks absolutely fantastic.
    You just saw upscaling on your PS3. 1080p is amazing.

21. Detale

It’s a good thing you didn’t just make that comment on Twitter, you’d have the local police knocking on your door :)

22. Erthazus

@Detale,
    “It’s a good thing you didn’t just make that comment on Twitter, you’d have the local police knocking on your door”

I just did XD

“Have a little faith in the developers, they managed to squeeze in a number of varied environments last time round, so I’m sure they’re not going to limit themselves for the new game.”

Desert is very limited. Yeah, you can make really good looking sand and make the engine that utilize sand physics. But the scenery and everything else is absolutely pathetic.

They could go somewhere in China or Japan or Russia… But no…
    If they are going to Egypt… Than oh man, thats so fucking boring for this game. If they are going to Dubai then thats a brilliant idea, except there is already a THIRD person shooter with DUBAI.

23. Detale

Part of the game could be set in the desert (a vehicle section like the truck section in U2?), but I’d imagine there will be other areas too. I can’t see them setting the whole game in one location, they’re not going to want to limit themselves in that way.

Although like you said, an urban level based somewhere like Dubai would be fun.

24. Erthazus

“Although like you said, an urban level based somewhere like Dubai would be fun.”

oh yeah!

But i hope they won’t limit themselves. But desert is so meh… Without something Urban it’s =/

25. back_up

@Erthazus DESERT? FUCK NO… WHY?
    DESERT?
    WHY THE FUCK IT IS DESERT?

New york ? Fuck No Why ?
    Why the Fuck New York ?
    Crytek Fucks and John Carmack Idiot
    Naughty Dog >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crytek
    Because PC gamers are pirates even witcher 2 developer said it

26. HighWindXIX

First off, I’m replaying UC2 right now so its very fresh in my mind and my 2nd time through now (first time was a year ago when it came out), I’m still blown away by how great it is. Both graphically and gameplay wise. Its just a perfect storm of awesomeness!

As far as a desert setting, it could be very cool if done right. I was hoping Nate might go searching for Atlantis or something this time around (if I was head writer, that’s what I’d do at least) but desert could be fun. Of course though, it won’t all take place in the desert I’m sure, just like only about half (or less) or UC2 takes place in the snow. You’ve got the museum, then Borneo, then the city, then the train, and then the mountains. I doubt they’d scale things back for UC3!!

As far as 720 vs 1080, its a toss up. I’ve definitely got a tv that would benefit from it but I think art direction and polish contribute more to our impression of graphics than raw resolution. UC2 looks great in 720p on my screen. However, I will note that the XMB and all text and logos and such do look much sharper and crisper in 1080p compared to their 720 counterparts. I have faith in Naughty Dog and I’m sure they’ll squeeze every last bit of power from our PS3s and wow us again and hopefully in 3D this time!

27. Erthazus

@25, go play with your lovely Sub-HD system :D enjoy your games in 1024×768 resolution :D

“Crytek Fucks”

You! :D

28. back_up

@27:
    Keep on buying/downloading Pirated games
    ” Naughty Dog Fucks”
    You :lol:

29. back_up

@26 :
    Agreed

Desert setting will be amazing and Naughty Dog is a great developer.I am sure they will get it right.

30. OrbitMonkey

As someone said earlier, its Naughty Dog. This could be set in Nates 1 room apartment, centre on him looking for lost change down the back of his chair & it would still knock the spots off any game in terms of visuals/gameplay:D

31. Fantastic

Hey I think I have seen this one somewhere…oh yes, there it is:

Indiana Fucking Jones.

And just a little bit over rated? You think?

32. Detale

I think you guys are onto something here. Nate searches his apartment for lost change & his car keys, then takes a thrill packed ride to his local Asda. After fighting his way through a pack of feisty OAPs in the car park, he finally makes it inside and searches for the fabled ‘edible’ Asda pork pie.

33. Psychotech

@31 I have seen Mass Effect million times before in movies,series etc. but that doesn’t take away the fact that it’s still one of the greatest games.
    The same goes for many titles who have almost the same concept,setting,story with others or even movies.
    Guys when you want to troll at least don’t spat out nonsense

34. GwynbleiddiuM

@20, Egypt would be awesome, and unlike emirates there are some amazing ancient history in the country. Why would Naughty Dog base a game on the single city of Dubai which has no ancient history what so ever?! Dubai is just a city, and a modern one, sure it’s a cool place as far as middle-east goes but come on…

35. OrbitMonkey

@31 No.

36. Kuwabara

id like to see naughty dogs take on an african setting or china/japan

37. tontsa91

Well if it’s set ONLY in the desert its a step backward but I don’t think so. Gonna pre-order as soon as possible :)