Acti confirms 88 job losses, closure of Budcat, as Lucasarts confirms cuts

Tuesday, 16th November 2010 23:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lucasartslogoa

Activision has confirmed that 88 staff have been dropped from company QA in California, and that Budcat has been completely closed.

“We continue to streamline our music development resources to ensure that they are aligned against our slate and strategic goals,” said the firm in a statement.

“As a result, we are implementing a targeted reduction in jobs in our Quality Assurance team in California and closing our Budcat studio in Iowa. Budcat has been a great partner to Activision and has created a lasting impact on the Guitar Hero franchise.

“Approximately 88 positions, or approximately 1 percent of our global workforce, will be impacted by these reductions. We are working to redirect those employees that are impacted to other parts of the company where possible, as well as offering them outplacement counseling services.”

In addition, earlier, sources were  claiming Lucasarts was laying folks off: Twitter was all abuzz with chat supporting the rumor, which has now been confirmed by Lucasarts as “minor”.

“LucasArts recently made a minor adjustment in staffing to help us better address the needs of the business,” said a studio spokesperson in a statement. “We remain committed to our internal studio – and to fostering relationships with trusted external partners – in order to deliver quality games that amaze and inspire fans.”

It’s being rumored the number of those affected hits around the 50 mark.

The news broke earlier today thanks to a tweet from the Radar Group’s Will Kerslake, he received the news via Facebook from “a friend that works there” who “posted he was cut today,” but Kerslake had “no idea the scale” of the lay-offs just yet.

Then there was one from 3D Realms’ George Broussard just a short while later, whose lay-off tweets have been correct in the past, that redundancies were happening “as we speak”.

Earlier this year, Lucasarts reorganized its studios, but declined to specify how many employees were being made redundant. It was rumored to be around the 30-80 mark.

The news comes just hours after Activision revealed it’s to “explore” its options regarding the “future” of Bizarre Creations.

1. Hunam

Fucking hell, how many lay off does Lucasarts need? How many people can actually be left there now?

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well. So much for Christmas. Let’s just call the whole thing off, shall we? :(

3. Erthazus

Another one who created Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II that was hell of a bad game.

this is how it works. It’s not because i’m heartless or something. It’s because people there don’t want to work or just don’t know how to work.

Thats just the beggining. I can’t wait to see the results of Star Wars: TOR MMORPG. If this thing will fail than oh my god, what will happen next year… It will be a much worse scenario than we saw with APB devs, Bizzare or this.

4. manamana

Well, Activision must be somekind under pressure (by investors), pulling so much lay offs at this time of year. I don’t get, why they don’t wait till january, would still be fourth quarter fiscal year, wouldn’t it? For some people it might be validating, for me it’s sad business.

5. Hunam

It’s probably to do with project schedules and the like, most companies wont have too much going on in december development wise and it’s probably pitch season at a fair few places. If the pitches they’ve got don’t set the publishers a light to begin production in January, then it’s shut up shop and send everyone home.

Possibly the most brutal thing you can get but it’s just how it is.

6. Hybridpsycho

It’s all very simple, if the developers don’t succeed with a game. They lay off quite alot of people to make the quuarterly report look better.

7. Grimrita

One of my friends who has been at LucasArts for almost 5 years has just been let go. Very sad indeed. But he left a couple of weeks ago now.

8. revolting

@3 The problem with that logic is that the people ultimately responsible for disappointing games are hardly ever the ones being laid off. How many of those 88 staff do you think were involved in design decisions of big-money franchise sub-par games? If anything, cutting nearly 100 people from Quality Assurance is only going to lead to worse games, not less blunders. These people weren’t fired for poor performance, they were made redundant. There’s an astronomically huge difference.

9. bpcgos

@manamana
    Man, when do you want to go to bali for vacation??
    You can call me if you need something in Bali cause I live in Bali too ! Or if you wanted to go to some beautiful place unmarked by your travel agency just call me !!
    See you in Bali, and have a nice vacation!!

10. manamana

@bpcgos
    Dude, we will be starting 6th of Dec. with a nice resort. As my wife and I are the kind of what some people referred to call backpackers, we will be traveling around, to see more of the beautiful island and to meet interesting people.

But how can I contact you? You should not post any private adresses or phone numbers, neither will I … Well, we can set up a fake email-account, but how will you know that its the “real” manamana writing you?

Any suggestions? Anyways, you have choosed a nice place to live …

11. Blerk

revolting is spot on. Most of the time the people who get laid off are not the people who were responsible for the failure of the product. It’s always the poor development team who take the flak, while the poncey focus-team-fuelled designers and upper-management yes-men swan off to do some coke and whip up another bland piece of me-too on the back of a fag-packet over cocktails.

Blimey, did that sound bitter?

12. bpcgos

@manamana
    Wow,real bacpacker me think!

The last train station before you off by ferries were actually my hometown (its called Banyuwangi)! I was live there till six years ago, when I moved to Bali for a living of course!

Banyuwangi also had many beautiful places, one of them are plengkung beach (or may I say G-LAND, just google it)with extreme waves for surfing !

Ok, I’ll try to ask for patrick help! Just wait for the e-mail, man!

P.S : BAli were actually very hot recently and I believe its become very nice place to darken your skin ^_^!

Edit : what is going on with this site, my post before was transformed just looks like my last post!

13. manamana

@bpcgos
    Heh, we will land in jakarta, stay for two days and than travel by train and ferrie to bali. Ask Patrick, for forwarding the email-adresses, if you like … would be fun!