F2P launch of LOTRO delayed in Europe

Thursday, 9th September 2010 15:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lotro

Codemasters has delayed the European free-to-play launch of The Lord of the Rings Online in order to better prepare its infrastructure for the massive influx of new and returning players.

Book 2: Ride of the Grey Company and the Store are now up on the US end for head starters, but the European launch will be later than expected.

“We are really pleased with the performance of the game and excited about the response to Free to Play from our players,” said Michael Rowland, Codemasters online producer to Eurogamer.

“Given the complexities and challenges faced in the preparation and implementation of the new store to work within our infrastructure, we feel more time is needed to deliver the high level of service our players have quite rightly come to expect.

“As a result, we have decided to delay launch to ensure that we can support the massive increase in players that we are anticipating and deliver them a Free to Play experience like none other.”

The update to the game adds the new Store, and the area of Enedwaith, along with the addition of level 20 skirmishes.

So far, the Store is offering stat increases, cosmetic clothing, buff items, mounts, extra wardrobe and shared storage space, emotes, destiny items, housing decorations, and loads more. Eventually it will hold around 2500 different items.

Players will earn Turbine points for completing deeds and certain quests, and if you happened to gain reputation with some of the different factions in the game before the F2P went live – the second you log in, you will earn points for those deed completions.

No date has been set on the relaunch in Europe, but we’ll send a mail to see how long of a wait you can expect.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Droid

Unfortunately (as has been stated on the lotro europe forums) people who want to play f2p from Europe will login to the US servers and begin playing on those instead. The longer Codemasters delay the update, the less new people there will be to play on Euro servers. All I can say is I hope they don’t delay too long, but knowing codemasters, they will.

2. OlderGamer

Just my two cents, and I have played LOTRO. If you want to play a f2p MMORPG go play EQII Extended. It is a far better game, a hell of a lot more people, and while it does nickle and dime you, it isn’t as bad as LORTO. You could spend absolutly nothing and play either game, but you will get farther, easier, and feel less outcasted in EQII doing it.

All of that is just my opinion btw, to each their own.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 How do you play on a US server? I have had friends ask me how to do this.

@2 Not all the servers are as busy as others, esp Nimrodel which is the one I am on. I have thought about switching to a busier one though, but I have too many friends on the one I use now.

4. SplatteredHouse

At a guess, Steph, wouldn’t registering with Turbine, and downloading the client from them, instead of CodeMasters get that done?

5. OlderGamer

I am not too sure what server or even game your talking about Steph. Must be my meds, lol, sry.

In EQII Extended, they only have one server. Each “zone” is instanced. Whne the game first launched we had a good 12-15 instanced noob starting zones for New Halas. Thus far, I have two toons in the 25-35 range, the game is crawling with players. I expect that number to dip as the newness of it fades. But for now its been great. My guild has near 1000 players in it, always someone on, your level to quest with.

I tried LOTRO this summer for a bit, i was going to switch full time when it went F2P to join you and a few other fellow VG247ers. But in the end I just didn’t connect with the game. It seemed like a poorly done version of WoW.

In the past I had played EQII. I enjoyed it, but everyone I knew played wow. So I went with wow. At thispoint I am burnt out on wow end game focused grind for gear. Boring. So when EQII Extended was anounced I jumped in. I enjoy it.

Just to add, the Live, pay 15/month EQII servers are still going and still avalible. But they do NOT interact in anyway with the F2P one. Also one could pay 15/month on the F2P server for a Gold membership. That unlocks everything that f2p players must buy and upgrade for(like Classes, extra bag/bank slots, shared bank, etc). So far I am just f2p, and having fun with that.

6. Droid

@3 Yeah you just register with Turbine. As it’s now f2p no US credit card is needed now.

7. Gekidami

I know that for WoW changing server region is as easy as opening a text file and changing a line of code…

8. bugmenot

Well, first sfme[sorry for my english] but i cant sit still and watch or read comments like play Everquest 2 Extended instead of any other MMORPG out there.

I played eq2ext as brignad up to lvl 23, while the “mechanic” of the game itself is good or standard, the game has other problems which other mmorpg dont have.

Graphicly the game is very, very poor. Even at extreme settings[4gb of ram, uhhuhu], the game looks more like everquest 1 with updated[partial] textures. The game is so empty[the higher u are], that the maps/worlds look more just a mere flat paper with brown ground color and every 10miles 1 set of trees.

I havent played yet Lord of the Rigns, but the uT video tells me, that gfx-wise it is alot better. It is more dense, than eq2 can ever be. U need yo merge all the maps in eq2 to have the density of any other free/p2p mmorpgs.

berserk at lvl 13 – icy land island start area
    wizard lvl 14
    bringad lv 23, so i had to delete one of the others..and fankly if you want to have as amny new players fo rur game, which is an mmropg and not anything else, then thats is the wrong way.

[sfme]-besides, eq2 ext. is not an mmorpg, its a 3rd view roleplaying game with a map system like call of duty or any other ego shooter games, come on thats pathetic, that u have to select a map before travel[per ship or teleport thing]…..but i had my fun, until the emptiniess[landscape, some maps are just empty floors] killed it…

9. Stephany Nunneley

@4 and @6

Awesome to hear. Now my UK friends and I can play together! :)

10. Droid

@9 Exactly… the Euro servers will be empty like I said with you poaching everyone. :p Codemasters need to pull out all the stops to get the f2p update out asap. Did you get a reply from them on a possible date? I’m sure they won’t say though. :(

@8 And yes EQ2 isnt great compared with other other mmo’s. The graphics can be ok, but not great, on max settings (even though it says you may crash if you dont have a ridiculously good pc, I guess this idea is based on the idea of an amazing pc in 2004, maybe time for them to change the wording), but then it is 3 years older than lotro. There’s so many options for gfx, it’s a minefield. Not sure if it has dx11 now like lotro does either which obviously would help. And the gameplay and stories etc dont seem very good.

11. Droid

For anyone who cares here’s an update: