Elena VO mentions new Uncharted work

Monday, 6th September 2010 18:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

elena uncharted

News! At last!

Uncharted voice actress Emily Rose has said she’s doing continuing work on the series.

She said in a tweet:

“Landed in LALA land yesterday and already the schedule is a buzz…. filming my first Night show today 4 #HAVEN then work on #UNCHARTED!”

While Rose didn’t exactly say Uncharted 3, Nathan Drake voice actor Nolan North has already said a third in the AAA Naughty Dog series is “common sense”.

Uncharted 2 is among one of the best critically rated games this generation.

Announce it soon, please?

Thanks, Gekidami.

1. The Hindle

OOOOH cant wait for details, im thinking VGAs reveal with a early 2012 release.

2. Tallon 4

Oct. 2011 would be nice :)

3. Razor

Tweet getting pulled in 5, 4…

4. Gekidami

Its good to see that shes gotten over that case of demonic possession… Or has she?!

5. Moonwalker1982

YES! U2 was awesome, bring it on.

6. LOLshock94

first 1 is good 2nd is completely shit theres nothing new

7. Erthazus

Son of the motherduck.

NAUGHTY DOG, RELEASE AT LEAST CONCEPT ART. PRETTY PLEASE!

8. The Hindle

“Son of the motherduck”

Im stealing that Erz

9. Johnny Cullen

I want this so bad right now. Admittingly, less then ZoE3, but I still want it so bad like it was my second child.

10. Erthazus

@8 Sure :D Have fun :D

But seriously, i really want to know what Naughty Dog can do with the hardware… But most important, what they can improve with the graphics and gameplay?

I want a concept art of it.

PS: Naughty dog MAKE DESTRUCTIVE Environments this time and your game will not be a masterpiece, it will be a legend. I so want this.

11. Anders

Was about to ask @6 whether he was serious, but then I noticed his username. Question = null and void.

12. Johnny Cullen

@Gek – 8|

13. RETARDED VIKING

thats some good news ehh kinda regret trading U2 away.

14. LePlatypus

I’m gonna be hated forever by everyone for this but Uncharted 1 was better than Uncharted 2. Sure Uncharted 2 had the ‘wow’ factor but Uncharted 1 had a lot better story and environments. Don’t get me wrong I loved Uncharted 2 but I think Uncharted 1 was better

15. Erthazus

@14 Better enviroments like: Beautiful Jungles, Beautiful jungles, Beautiful jungles, Beautiful jungles, Beautiful jungles.

16. Quiiick

@ #11
    :D

@ Gekidami
    That’s Jennifer Carpenter, not Emily Rose. ;-)

17. onlineatron

Dear Emily Rose

Dress up as Elena and get freaky with me

Chris.

18. Thalius

The first was awesome: story about “Sir Francis Drake”
    The second was AWESOME: story about “Marco Polo”

The third should be about “Machu Picchu” cool scenery with alot of potencial for great visuals and mystery.

19. Gekidami

Yeah but the characters name is Emily Rose

… I’ll get my coat.

20. onlineatron

I want the third to involve Atlantis, under the sahara.. or something crazy like that.

I’d love to see Naughty Dog’s tech applied to sand, and then some awesome underwater stuff.

21. Dannybuoy

I did a little sex wee

22. onlineatron

It’s amazing how much I care for the Uncharted characters.

Seeing the header image and the news that the actors are brining life to the characters again fill me with glee!

23. Gekidami

Thats creepy, The Exorcism of Emily Rose just happens to be on TV right now. Thats a crazy coincidence.

24. Quiiick

@ #19
    I saw the movie … ;-)

The character is based on the german girl Anneliese Michel.

25. DSB

I would kinda hope that Uncharted 2 was a major improvement on the first one, if not that’s one overrated game. I played it for like an hour once, and it was just about the most boring game I’ve played on consoles this gen.

26. onlineatron

Speak of exorcisms, you seem in desperate need of one

And God turned to DSB and proclaimed ‘DEMON, LEAVE THE BODY, LEAVE THE SPIRT AND THE SOUL. LET THIS POOR BOY REST, LET HIM FIND JOY IN AWESOME GAMING EXPERIENCES AND BE RID OF THE EVIL SHACKLES OF BOREDOM!!!’

(also, stop killing cattle… dick)
    :P

27. osric90

I hope Uncharted 3 comes early 2012 or even finals…it’ll be too soon and there are too damn much games to buy right now. Uncharted 3 should have a level in the beach, crowded places, more “escape” secuences and longer…QTE should be back and hand to hand combat should be improved. And it would be cool if you actually could have levels in the night in open lands, inside a big, big plane or ship, ufffffffff… so many things… I know Uncharted 3 will be 10/10 game too…just want it to take more time. 2012 finals would be the perfect season for it to come out (1080p hopefully and 3D option for the 3D freaks). COOP in the same console would make it DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN PERFECT as there is kind of always a partner by your side (with the vertical or horizontal split option).

28. DSB

@26 There’s absolutely nothing awesome about lackluster gunplay, embarrassing cutscenes, slowed down ledge-platforming and laborious puzzles that aren’t even clever or rewarding :P

That was all I saw for that one hour of the original Uncharted. It was basically a less fun Tomb Raider with no tits and awful writing.

The exorcism thing is old news though. They just can’t find a priest willing to take the job.

29. AHA-Lambda

@25 – i liked uncharted 1 but i didnt think it was anything particularly amazing or anything but still good, whereas Uncharted 2 is one of my fav games…ever ;)

can not wait for UC3!! :D

30. Gekidami

its actually quite amazing just how lame that museum level is compared to the rest of the game, so much so that its like it isnt actually a level from UC2. If you played past that part and still found it boring then you’re just bat-shit insane.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean the first game.

The first one isnt bad, it has issues but its far from boring.

(EDIT AGAIN: Seeing as someone addressed the bit i deleted i’ve put it back in)

31. onlineatron

@30 (pre-edit)

Agreed, the museum level really does suck.

It doesn’t really work as a level or a tutorial.

A real laps in judgement on Naughty Dog’s part.

32. DSB

@30 I think you’re talking about UC2. I was talking about playing the first one. The whole boat/temple deal.

EDIT: Yup :P

I didn’t find anything that worked for me in the first hour. The shooting was run of the mill, the climbing was really boring and the puzzles were so lame.

The first puzzle is just stupid easy, but for whatever reason they make sure you waste loads of time actually pressing the buttons. That sort of thing pisses me off.

33. onlineatron

Yo, you want GT5 Damage?: http://kotaku.com/5630851/lets-look-at-damaged-gran-turismo-5-cars/gallery/

PS: It looks shit

34. Erthazus

@DSB there is a big difference between Tomb Rider and Uncharted.
    Uncharted focuses on gunplay, fighting and stealth, puzzles are easy just not to slow the pace.

and the writing in the first one was great. Naughty Dog 20 years write very good dialogs and story.

+ Amy Hennig is behind Uncharted series dialogs and writing. Nuff said.

35. DSB

@34 Clearly you wouldn’t know good writing if it bit you in the ass. I was cringing every time there was a bit of dialogue.

It’s like watching a Swiffer commercial.

The acting doesn’t exactly help it along, though.

36. onlineatron

It may not be Oscar grade (aka very melodramatic and overwrought) but it seems natural and reminds me of a Joss Wheadon joint.

Anything that reminds me of Firefly is aces in my book.

37. Erthazus

@35 First of all it’s natural. There are emotion and expression and there is no melodrama and cries. It’s a typical holywood blockbuster aka Indiana Jones. Nothing clever, just natural and just a human being with sarcasm and interests.

You don’t need to tell Amy Hennig what to do here. Nuff said. She is brilliant and she did an awesome job, not to mention that she has “Writers Guild of America Writing Award”.

+ about acting. This is all motion capture that was made in the Sony Pictures studio, so again, you are here wrong and a lot of people will disagree with you here.

38. LePlatypus

@35 This is the first and only time (hopefully) I’ll ever agree with Erthazus. The writing/dialogue of both Uncharteds is phenomenal and makes all the characters seem so real and made of awesome

39. Dragon

Loved the first one; Also 2nd. Awaiting for third! :‌D

40. DSB

@36 Well, if Joss Whedon is your yardstick, then it’s obviously very high grade :P I mean it takes a lot to surpass Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I think it seems extremely unnatural and composed. The actors are missing any sense of urgency, in spite of having been attacked by a veritable army of pirates, and the dialogue just keeps pounding on the fact that these are about the most common archetypes in the adventure genre. You got the cocky adventurer, the tough female sidekick and the greedy bagman. Basically like any 80′s adventure movie ever made.

Still, it’s not like bad writing is ever gonna knock a game down for me. We should be used to it by now. It just didn’t exactly add to what was a pretty boring game to me.

@37 You compare that to Indiana Jones?! Really?

Christ…..

With lines like “Just point and shoot, right?” or “Nothing a bit of therapy can’t fix” I can see how she earned those awards… Massive ammounts of cocksucking.

41. onlineatron

Forgive my ignorance, but, are you being sarcastic?

Because Buffy is pretty awesome.
    I’ve only recently started watching it and it’s a good watch.

42. Erthazus

@40 It’s just a characters sarcasm. You can play the second one. It’s absolutely the same with more jokes. these stupid jokes give a characteristics to the Nathan Drake. A typical person.

It’s a matter of taste. If you like these jokes or not.

43. DSB

@41 Dude… Gimme a break.

I don’t care what people like, but calling it good writing is just beyond silly :P

Basically all their lines can be reduced to “Raaar, I’m a big bad demon” or “Harhar, I’m a badass hero”. It’s great fun if you’re like a 13 year old girl, but it’s hardly stimulating stuff.

Truly good writing should be about saying as much as possible with as little as possible. No depth, no talent.

@42 Not really dude, it’s just using lines that have been used in bad movies for more than 20 years because you’re too lazy to make up your own stuff.

44. Erthazus

“Truly good writing should be about saying as much as possible with as little as possible.”

Thats your opinion. And i agree with you, but this is not the character that will say something like this Ever. Can you understand it? It’s his manner to speak.

“it’s just using lines that have been used in bad movies for more than 20 years”

Prove links of script from other movies with these sarcastic dialogs. Or it never happened.

45. DSB

@44 No, it isn’t. He’s not a living person, he’s a design piece.

It’s the way he’s designed to speak, which is what I’m critisizing. Instead of taking it a bit further than the “cocky douchebag adventurer” template, she just dives straight in.

@Prooflinks – Bite me, jerkoff. I’m not gonna go through every movie of the last 20 years because you don’t know the first thing about writing :P

You could easily make a montage of the first 40 movies to use those lines. I can’t help the fact that you’re ignorant.

46. onlineatron

I wasn’t trying to put you in a position where giving you a break was necessary. I was merely trying to clarify your post.

I do, however take issue with you saying ‘I don’t care what people like’ and then writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of why they are wrong for enjoying/liking something. It’s hypocritical and contradictory to your self-proclaimed blase attitude.

Humour is incredibly objective, so it’s foolish to try and negate someone’s opinion on what’s good comedy writing or not.

47. Erthazus

“Instead of taking it a bit further than the “cocky douchebag adventurer” template, she just dives straight in.”

And what? Whats the problem being a cocky douchebag adventurer?????? Is this…. hmmm… BAD?

48. DSB

@46 You’re reading too much into it. I’m not critisizing you for liking it, I’m critisizing you for claiming that it’s good writing, when it simply isn’t.

It’s very base, very simple writing, which doesn’t really go anywhere, it’s just there to reasonably support what’s on the screen. I fail to see how that’s impressive.

I might like an oreo cookie, but it doesn’t mean I’m about to describe it as a complex flavor. It’s just a sugary treat.

49. DSB

@47 I’m not saying you can’t make an interesting cocky douchebag adventurer, I’m just saying clearly she wasn’t up to the job.

You’re always going to subscribe to some sort of archetype. It’s what you do with it that’s important.

50. onlineatron

I never suggested you were criticising me. I am merely pointing out that you apparently ‘don’t care what people like’ but go to great lengths to tell them why they are wrong.

I also never said Buffy had good writing, I just said I find it awesome. I do think the the relationships between the characters are well-formed, the group dynamic too, something Whedon excels at. It is very much a pulp show though, I view it as more of an anthology show (like the Twilight Zone) than one with an engrossing over-arching plot. Each episode has a story that can at times get ridiculous (a mother fucking demon computer-robot ffs)… but it’s done in a way that’s entertaining and fun to watch.

May I ask you to give some examples of TV shows, games, movies you like? Just to get a handle on what you find entertaining, who knows, we may even agree on something!

51. Erthazus

“when it simply isn’t.”

O’rly?

X-Play – Best Writing
    GamePro – Best Storytelling
    Gametrailers – Best Story
    IGN – Overall Best Story
    Writers Guild of America – Videogame Writing
    International Game Developers Association – Best Writing
    Game Audio Network Guild – Best Dialog
    British Academy of Film and Television Arts – Story

and so you can shut up:

*Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences* – Outstanding Achievement in Story – Original.
    Nuff said.

52. Gama_888

surely she wouldnt be allowed to post that on her twitter?

53. onlineatron

I usually hate resorting to critics to prove my point

(I see it as an inability to express one’s own opinion, plus most, idiots, dismiss it with the phrase ‘I don’t listen to critics’… which pisses me off as critics are people with opinions, they are just trained to write those opinions in an intelligible manner!)

Anyway, back on point. Erthazus was right (jesus, what have I done?!) to post those as they demonstrate a consensus which is very hard to argue with.

54. Erthazus

“I usually hate resorting to critics to prove my point”

Same, but that was just too obvious.

55. DaMan

I like how awards mean nothing when they’re talking about Halo or Modern Warfare, but now critical acclaim becomes relevant all of a sudden. no really, double standards ftw. heh.

56. DSB

@50 I fail to see how that’s so difficult to understand :P

I don’t care what people like. That’s none of my business. But if they argue an underlying quality to what they like, then they need to define that as well.

There’s a big difference between what I like and what I think is good writing.

It’s hard to start analyzing all the stuff you’ve seen, but off the top of my head, I’d say the best shows in terms of acting, directing and writing at the moment would have to be Mad Men and Breaking Bad. For movies that would be Apocalypse Now, Dr. Strangelove, Fight Club (although the screenplay is 95% identical to the book) The Great Dictator, Up, Taxi Driver.

Those are all favourites of mine, but basically I’ll watch anything from Hellraiser to Magnolia.

@51 Nice work, moron. Those are all for Uncharted 2. I haven’t said a word about that game, as I haven’t played it. The idiocy just keeps on coming with you, huh?

@55 If Erthazus actually lived in the same reality as us, that sort of logic would actually mean something.

57. LePlatypus

@55 +1

58. Erthazus

@56 Except that they are the same in most cases. ;) Story was not better than from a first one. They are equal.

@55 Oh just shut up already. Halo is overrated. It’s just overrated by the marketing campaign. When i saw something like critical acclaim there was always a question: Does someone played FPS before?
    It’s like a trolling system: Halo invented FPS, duh…

Modern Warfare? There are a lot of critical acclaims that this game deserved in FPS genre clearly because in that year there was nothing better than THAT game. Basically what was awesome from FPS when MW2 came out? Nothing much in FPS genre. Modern Warfare 1 really did a good job.

59. DSB

@58 Right right right….

So where are the awards for Uncharted, again? Equals indeed!

Not that the people actually handing them out have ever played a videogame in the case of Bafta and the Writers Guild.

60. onlineatron

I actually love, and watch, all those things you listed.

And I completely forgot what game we were discussing… Forgive me, I’m working on 4hrs sleep here!!

61. Erthazus

@59 none of them except of shitty IGN.

but if you want to judge the story first of all play two games. Not just first game by one hour. Full games.
    In the story aspect they are absolutely the same. SAME.
    Uncharted 2 just had more dialogs and thats it. Writer is the same Amy Hennig who did story for Legacy of Kain series and Uncharted series.
    Legacy Of Kain had not much awards and what? The story is still awesome.

62. DSB

@61 Bullshit. A game is a game. If it really needs a sequel to justify itself, then clearly it isn’t a very good game.

I realize you have no idea what you’re talking about as usual, so now you’re just left babbling like an idiot again, but seriously man. Just get a clue, and stop trying.

Your argument was that Uncharted 2s writing was great based on the awards it’s won. Given that Uncharted won none, that would suggest the exact opposite.

Can we please move you up to a 5th grade comprehension of logic now? It gets pretty tiring to see you run away from what you’ve just said, every time you’re called on all your bullshit.

63. DaMan

LOL!

‘shut up’?
    look, man. say, are you on acid?

I wasn’t even talking with you, imbecile. heh. perhaps it will surprise you, but this a comment section, akin to a forum thread you’re posting in. I was commenting on another nice example of your pathetic nature.

no really, Erthazus is nothing but sad cunt. sorry, continuously posting your own opinionated bollocks doesn’t negate the fact that Halo (as well as MW2 that you continuosly bash) won all those things, and got universal acclaim. you’ve been caught on double standards.

if I were him I would at least admit it, I guess he really has zero dignity.

64. DrDamn

@DSB
    I agree that Uncharted 1 was a disappointment, Uncharted 2 was fully deserving of the praise it got though. Gunplay was much, much improved. Engine and environments again much better. The only thing lacking for me was the puzzles were a bit easy. The battles made up for that though – as mentioned that is the primary focus, lots more variety, some great tactical options and different approaches too.

65. onlineatron

I think what Erthazus is trying to say (in his own, special, way) is that Amy Henning helmed writing on both games, she also worked on the Soul Reaver games which had decent writing.

Amy’s writing wouldn’t have changed much over a two year development cycle and her stamp could be found in both games. So if the 2nd receive plaudits, perhaps the first is of merit as well?

I’m not sure I agree with him, but I will draw your attention to the state of consoles in 2007 and 2009. Drakes Fortune released in 2007, at a time where the PS3 was still being lambasted by many people. 2007 was also the release of many fantastic titles such as The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead etc… Uncharted could have been lost in the shuffle come awards season.

In 2009 the PS3 had just been granted a breath of life with the slim relaunch and had a better reputation. Come awards season the only real competition for it was MW2 and ACII… It would have garnered far more attention.

I realise I’m making Uncharted 2′s plaudits seem like consolation prizes ‘well done, there wasn’t much to chose from so CONGRATS!’ but what i’m really trying to point out is that more attention would have been on Uncharted 2 in 2009 leading to more awards; perhaps Uncharted: DF would have received similar accolades if released in 2009?

I think that’s it from me, I can’t be arsed to write anymore. Know that I respect your opinion, I just hope you can understand why many people enjoy the writing and story in the Uncharted series.

EDIT: FUCK ME, that’s an Oldergamer-esque post!

66. DSB

You’re both grasping at straws onlineatron. You don’t judge a writer on the books he’s done in the past. We’re talking about a single game.

That fact that Hennig may or may not have done well before or since doesn’t mean that her abuse of 1980′s action lines get any more impressive.

Either you stick to the subject at hand or you shut the fuck up. I think that’s a principle we’ll never teach Erthazus :P

67. DrDamn

Though you want to maybe swat up on your logic before mocking someone elses. There are plenty of real world examples where if A then B is true but if not A then not B is false.

68. onlineatron

Errgh, you’re irritating me now DSB.

I was trying to finish the convo in a playful manner. Throwing out some hypotheticals for closures sake and you carry on like there is only one school of thinking (yours!).

Give it a rest, it’s a fucking game, it exists, people enjoy it, you don’t… so what?!

69. The Hindle

So lets bring this back for the Uncharted fans, DSB its obvious you dont like the series so from now on i dont think this convo will appeal to you. Anyways what do people want from UC 3?

Like someone said i wouldnt mind seeing what ND can do with sand, like sandstorms or quicksand could be intergrated im to UC setpieces really well.

Story wise id like to focus on Drakes past something like that. Gameplay wise hmm melee weapons and a none lethal way of taking enemies as well. Rather do away with boss battles or make them way better.

70. DSB

@67 This is getting old in a hurry.

You could also argue that awards don’t prove anything on their own, and that people would only resort to an argument like that because they have no informed input on the subject themselves.

And so it goes on… And on… And on…

@69 I have nothing against the series. I just didn’t like the original game.

71. Gekidami

I want Victor ‘Goddamn’ Sullivan to be in it more.

72. DrDamn

I’d like to see some more difficult puzzle elements, and the lead me by the nose help turned *off* by default, not on. I’d also like to see a few more elements where the climbing stuff is used for more than a way to get from A to B. Online wise keep the co-op drop the adversarial stuff.

73. The Hindle

@ 70 so if you dont like the first game you wont like the sequel man hence why i said you dont like UC….

Yea more Sullivan is a must, the guy is a ledge.

74. DSB

@73 Facepalm. Whatever, man. I’ll decide on that when I get to it.

75. DrDamn

Don’t care so much about the actual argument – it’s all opinions and context, just you were berating someone for their lack of knowledge of logic and using flawed logic yourself :)

76. DrDamn

It depends why you didn’t like the first surely? I didn’t enjoy much of the first but absolutely loved the second.

77. onlineatron

@Hindle

Yeah, before all this rigmarole started I said I want to see a desert setting mixed with underwater stuff (atlantis?).

Sullivan needs to be in it, I know he departed ways with Drake last game but plot needs to ensure that he’s more prevalent this time round. I’m not sure if I want to see too many new characters, just more Chloe, Elena etc.

As for gameplay, more set-pieces, more variety, more co-op mp.

Oh and speaking of Uncharted 2, this looks hella lot like it: http://www.destructoid.com/see-enslaved-s-full-opening-the-escape–183204.phtml

78. The Hindle

@ 76 well yea good point. And a baddie that isnt English or Russian as well!!!!!!!!!!

79. DrDamn

They would absolutely have to nail the underwater controls. Could go horribly wrong if they went that route and didn’t. I’d like to see a Chinese angle to it, lots of myths and legend to delve into there, not to mention a dash of martial arts too.

80. NinjaMidget

I like Uncharted! Oh please somebody pick on me because I have an opinion contrary to yours!!!

+100 posts FTW!

81. Isaaclarke37

Another Uncharted game was predictable.

82. onlineatron

Yeah, that’s what I want to see… underwater gameplay that works!

Indeed, the bad guy needs to be pitch perfect. DF’s baddie kinda sucked and AT’s was close, he just needed to be a tad more brutal (perhaps kill a character who is important to the player, not just a poxy camera man?).

An evil force works best if the audience is shown what destruction it can wrought before being told to be afraid of it. I want an evil that is so brutal, and unforgiven that it gives the story a sense of jeopardy and weight.

Uncharted 2 was fantastic, but I never felt like the world was at stake. Perhaps Naughty Dog could allow the enemy to get it’s hand on the mystical relic this time and actual cause chaos in the world before being defeated?

83. onlineatron

83 posts in and we’re back to relevant news story conversation: http://kotaku.com/5631154/hmmm-uncharted-voice-actor-doing-some-new-uncharted-work-this-week

The official word from Sony is that it’s voice work for DLC. So what, more Co-op levels? :D

84. Kuwabara

Both uncharted 1/2 are my fav games this gen, however im amazed how uncharted 1 didn’t win as many awards as uncharted 2. it still stands among the best looking games this gen, and i actually preferred the story in 1 over 2. I loved the chemistry between Nathan and Elena, it was done perfectly, right till the credits. Plus i loved the wit and sillyness from Nathan in the first game, in the second game it felt like they forced it upon him sometimes and tried to add one liners to try make him seem funny, where as in uncharted 1 it came about more naturally. even though the gameplay and sequences in uncharted 2 topped uncharted 1 overall, i still feel uncharted 1 needed many more awards.