Sony: Introducing new IP defines our success

Friday, 27th August 2010 09:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavy rain

Beating Xbox 360 will lay out PS3′s success, right? Nope. New IP like Heavy Rain, though, will do just that.

SCE WWS European VP, Michael Denny, told OPM at gamescom last week it’s making new IP will define its success, not its battles with Nintendo or Microsoft.

“In a year like the one just gone, you look at a game like Heavy Rain,” said Denny.

“A lot of people questioned whether that was risky and whether it [could] stand up. But I think that’s what really brings the pleasure of working for Sony first party – we’re willing to take some risks and look at innovation.

“I think that what that game’s delivered is fantastic – it’s not only new IP, but I think it’s created a new genre. [It's had] not only great critical acclaim, but great commercial success as well.”

Quantic Dream announced at GDC Europe last week that the game had sold 1.5 million units since its release in February.

Denny also promised “many more exciting announcements” are on the way.

1. Blerk

In this day and age of sequel after sequel I think it should be the duty of the platform holders to lead the way on new IPs. Sony are doing a pretty great job with their own stuff but even they could rely a little less of revisiting their old stuff. Microsoft needs to do a lot better at this, of course. And Nintendo…. I think they gave up new IPs altogether about five years ago.

2. DrDamn

Sony started this gen awash with new IP – I think they went the wrong way. Too much was unknown and a lot didn’t come off. They should have made sure their biggest and most reliable titles got sequels early too. I think they have a better balance now – though some teams could still do with a substantial kick up the arse (*cough* Polyphony *cough*).

MS did have a lot of new IP too – a lot of it third party but MS funded. That seems to have settled though as internal teams are shifted off onto Kinect and the third party stuff is becoming increasingly multi-platform.

3. Kerplunk

Hmm. Whilst I think they’ve brought about a fair amount of new IP (both successful and otherwise) they’re wasting no time producing sequels (Uncharted 2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3) and have exploited existing franchises pretty heavily (Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank etc). Not to mention HD re-releases of God of War, Sly Raccoon and, possibly, others.

I don’t know. It’s easy to be critical, of course, but if the games are good quality and fun then I’m not too fussed about a number at the of the end of the title. Same goes for Fable 3, Mario Galaxy 2 or Portal 2.

I suppose new IP seems to offer new promise so can be more easy to get excited about.

4. Crysis

easier to come up for stuff which is already out, you know your characters & their backgrounds etc, Sony tends to do 3-4 main games in the series & maybe a few spin-offs before leaving the franchise alone & getting on with something new, Nintendo… have they made anything new since the SNES?
    Microsoft, well they rely heavier on 3rd party developers then themselves for their exclusives, they have Halo, Forza & Fable (they DO NOT own gears of War)

5. Gekidami

I think the last, new story based IP from Nintendo was Pikmin on Gamecube. This gen they have made new IP’s but they’ve all been mini-game collections like Wii Sports. Nothing with actual new characters and a plot.

6. DrDamn

I was talking about the first couple of years. The biggest titles for them on the PS2 were Gran Tursimo, God of War, MGS, Final Fantasy, GTA. The PS3 was released in 2006/2007. When did these titles get sequels released?

GT5 – still waiting
    GoW3 – 2010
    MGS4 – End 2008
    FFXIII – End 2009/2010
    GTA IV – Mid 2008

Compare to MS. Big franchises Fable, Halo, Forza. Console released late 2005.

Fable 2 – End 2008
    Halo 3 – End 2007
    Forza 2 – Mid 2007

The earliest big PS3 established title came mid 2008 and was released on the 360 too.

7. Crysis

@6, i think your point was that it took Sony some time to pick up steam with the ps3, in which case it would be stupid to argue, because i agree :)

8. DrDamn

I’d love to see Nintendo step out of their comfort zone IP wise – think it would be really interesting. They do make a feckton of money from their current approach so you can see why they do it though.

A little mischievously I’d also love to see them do a classic band thing and release something under a different name – new ip – without telling anyone. Would be interested to see if they got all the fawning and undiluted praise which tends to accompany their usual releases.

9. Kerplunk

@6 Admittedly, I wasn’t factoring in the time taken between hardware release and game release. Sorry if I was coming off as being overly critical.

Of the games I mentioned that are already out, I own them all and have enjoyed playing them. I’m glad they got made.

All of the unreleased games I mentioned (all platforms) are on my “to buy” list too. :) (And you can add Metroid: Other M to that list too!)

10. DrDamn

No need to apologise, I was just clarifying what I meant :).

11. No_PUDding

This is kind of bullshit.

New IP means nothing. New design, and original and unique games matter.

Give me an Uncharted sandbox game. Give me a Heavy Rain, relationship RPG. Give me a Twisted Metal platformer.

The name sells it, as Bioware implies, the innovation, the risk is what matters.

12. chronoss2

Ico, Shadow of Colossus, Heavy Rain, EchoChrome and much more are very special and only Sony takes risks by offering something fresh and good!

13. Kuwabara

yes that’s true. only ps3 offer unique innovative bold titles. xbox has and never will bring anything new