Nomura on The World Ends with You: “I definitely want to make a sequel”

Tuesday, 10th August 2010 08:52 GMT By Nathan Grayson

worldendswithyou

The world may have ended, but the franchise goes on.

Two-screened, completely chaotic combat? Angsty, pointy haired teenagers? Clothes that are – proportionally speaking – more zipper than cloth? The World Ends with You should have been a disaster worthy of its own Japanese monster movie, but instead, it’s one of the few games that – on its own – is worth buying a DS for.

And hey, what a coincidence: designer Tetsuya Nomura just expressed interest in developing a sequel! Good timing, Mr. Nomura. We doubt our previously planned article – titled “The World Ends with You is pretty great, but it’s three years-old and there will never be a sequel” – would have gone over quite as well.

“I’m really happy that the game was so well received in North America,” Nomura told ONM. “I definitely want to make a sequel. I’m very busy working on other titles right now, but when the time is right, I would love to make another installment of The World Ends with You.”

Oof. Yeah, it sounds like great news, but read between the lines. “Other titles”? We’re guessing that includes Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which may or may not come out before the world actually ends. Why must you dangle this plump and juicy carrot in front of us, Nomura, only to yank it away?

1. mington

OMG, The World Ends with You is the worst game everrrrrrrrrrrr (IMO)

i played it for about an hour and a half after reading all the good reviews, and i’ve never had such a violent dislike towards a game before in my life, the story and presentation really wound me up

2. Nathan Grayson

@mington: If we ever meet, we have to fight now.

3. mington

I remember absolutely hating the protagonist, biggest prick in gaming, i kept thinking ‘give it a chance, after i’ve played it for 10 hours they’ll probably reveal why he’s such an angsty prick’ but i just couldn’t stomach it

honestly, the game put me off owning thumbs

4. Johnny Cullen

I think this needs to be one of the first games I get when I buy a DS.

Whenever that may be.

5. mington

nooooooooooooooooooooo

i spent 60 hours in FF13 with Hope in my team, practically the whole time, so i can do angsty, pointy haired teenagers.

6. Erthazus

@1 Fuck you sir.

The World Ends with you is the game why i bought the DS. Basically it’s a masterpiece, who never played it on DS can fuck off.

and it’s my favourite DS game EVER. PERIOD.

I wish they could give some love to HD consoles or PSP.

7. Boris Fett

Really great game, very unique, although the teen angst crap was just as annoying as it is in every other Square Enix game that has it.

8. Rudderless

But the ‘teen angst crap’ was much better-written than usual, and actually had a point to it, in that it was necessary as part of Neku’s character arc.

Amazing game. Not sure how they could make a sequel work, but I’d like to see some of its ideas return.

9. Boris Fett

There is no such thing as meaningful or well written teen angst. There’s also never, ever any justification for it.

Doesn’t stop the gameplay from being awesome though.

10. dirigiblebill

Nietzsche on teen angst:

“The angry and reverent spirit peculiar to youth appears to allow itself no peace, until it has suitably falsified men and things, to be able to vent its passion upon them: youth in itself even, is something falsifying and deceptive. Later on, when the young soul, tortured by continual disillusions, finally turns suspiciously against itself—still ardent and savage even in its suspicion and remorse of conscience: how it upbraids itself, how impatiently it tears itself, how it revenges itself for its long self-blinding, as though it had been a voluntary blindness! In this transition one punishes oneself by distrust of one’s sentiments; one tortures one’s enthusiasm with doubt, one feels even the good conscience to be a danger, as if it were the self-concealment and lassitude of a more refined uprightness; and above all, one espouses upon principle the cause AGAINST “youth.”—A decade later, and one comprehends that all this was also still—youth!”

Sorry :p Couldn’t resist.

11. NinjaMidget

Well quoted!

12. Ge0force

I would definitely buy that sequel, first game was awesome!