Kotick: Black Ops “the biggest investment we’ve ever made” for launch

Friday, 6th August 2010 11:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

callofdutyblackops2

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has said Call of Duty: Black Ops will be getting “the biggest investment” the company has ever made for a title launch.

The Treyarch shooter has already surpassed Modern Warfare 2 in terms of pre-orders, despite Acti saying earlier in the year it has “not planned on repeating the same level of success as we enjoyed in 2009″ with Modern Warfare 2.

“This across the board, the biggest investment that we’ve ever made in a launch of a title,” said Kotick during the company’s Q1 financial conference call last night.

“And I think when audiences see the product, they’ll see why we’re doing it this way. But the market opportunity is bigger than it’s ever been. The installed base of hardware is bigger than it’s ever been.”

Even Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime jumped on the gravy train.

“I think one of the things I’d add also that’s important, we have gotten an incredible amount of benefit from this very, very large installed base of players and the way people are reacting to the downloadable content,” he said.

“And a lot of that learning has now been incorporated into what you’ll see in a lot of the functionality of Black Ops.

“And partly why we’re so enthusiastic about our prospects for the back half of this year, but Black Ops is turning out to be one of the best products that we’ve ever created.”

Call of Duty: Black Ops releases on November 9 for PS3, 360, Wii, PC and DS.

1. scuz

Oh do shut up you prodigious wang. Your franchise died when infinity ward vaporised and it’ll only take one game for people to realise this.

2. AHA-Lambda

i’m going to just copy/paste what i said on another forum:

“oh FFS!!! I thought that every IP had a shelf life or an expiration date of some sort. I never would have thought that ACTI could sustain the critical mass they achieved with MW2 until MW3 (Just like how i dont think halo will ever get as big as it did with halo 3 until halo 4 comes out); how in the name of christ does CoD manage to outdo MW2 before MW3?

In most peoples eyes the treyarch projects may as well be spin offs anyway. **** all of you ******** who buy this **** . I would rather buy MoH over black ops just to spite them (tho i wont but still)”

3. EscoBlades

Treyarch will always be the B-Team in this franchise. And Activision will milk CoD till we all bleed the damn thing.

That is all.

4. ninjanutta

im goimg to dissagree,i think that treyarch really improved with world at war and i beleive that blackops is looking to be another step up in quality again,I think it will be a suprisingly good game and they will become the better developer in the COD franchise.If im honst though,i think they should just wrap it up and start something new but that will never happen ACTI are just milking the money so it will just run and run.

5. freedoms_stain

Of course it is (the biggest investment), they need the hype machine in overdrive to convince people an average game is a must-have.

6. EscoBlades

@ ninjanutta: Improved with World at War? Treyarch had 2 betas (one public and one private) and still, everyone of their Multiplayer maps was released with geo glitches allowing players under the map.

How in any way is that an improvement?

7. LOLshock94

i smell bullshit

8. EscoBlades

@LOLshock94: That’s Kotick’s natural odour. Normally eminates from his mouth….

9. Dr.Freeman

they r tryin to send a hidden “FUCK U” message to IW by this.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe this just means that for this game, Kotick’s assigned himself the biggest bonus cheque that Acti’s ever written.

11. stretch215

I think that the hate shown for cod on this site(not everyone) is so fucking hilarious. O.k., let me guess, the millions of people who play this game daily are all mindless sheep and you guys are the most intelligent dudes on the planet. Sounds to me like some elitist bullshit. That being said, WaW was a solid game, imo an improvement on cod4. The “geo-glitches” didn’t really bother me as they were quite easy to avoid.

12. EscoBlades

The geo-glitches were found in both betas, and yet they somehow still made it into the finished game. Regardless of how easy they were to avoid, that just stinks of lazy development.

Now that’s bullshit!

13. DeSpiritusBellum

I think the franchise bashing is pretty hilarious, considering it’s been going on since the birth of gaming. Back in the 90′s it would be a huge surprise if a succesful game went a year without a sequel.

EA makes the same sports games every year, and they’ve earned a lot more doing that, than Actvision ever will with CoD. Last time I checked Madden NFL was selling about 7 million copies a year.

I kinda missed the outrage over Assassins Creed 2 as well. That came out exactly two years after the first one.

@11 Chances are that a lot of the people who bitch and moan play the game themselves, though.

14. Erthazus

“you guys are the most intelligent dudes on the planet”

I played all CoD games. My favourite Call Of duty is the first game and maybe second. 3rd is shit, MW1 was OK, i enjoyed it, but MW2 is just the same old shit on the old engine on the next gen consoles.

Liked a lot Battlefield:BC2 because of many players, big maps, innovation in the destruction, i like vehicles in the modern games a LOT. So, go figure.

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is like Starcraft II these days. I was so fucking excited about SCII, but after playing all 26 missions, it’s the same game, just polished and in………. 3D.
    Even the story was for teenage children, i was so surprised that this story was made by Blizzard.

I exactly know that Black Ops will suck, i already hate this old 2000 engine with old mechanics, maybe Infinity Ward will make an amazing Modern Warfare 3. Who knows.

15. AHA-Lambda

“Just gamers that have experience in gaming. I never said that i don’t like MW formula, but it’s just the same, with same engine, with bullshit campaign, with OK multiplayer.”

this altho personally i would swap around the MP and SP

“maybe Respawn will make an amazing new IP.”

Fixed :P

16. DeSpiritusBellum

@14 I guess pro-gamers are a bunch of inexperienced noobs, then, considering they’re playing CoD games and not Battlefield?

17. Erthazus

@16 Go to the Steam and see how much people play Battlefield:BC2 and how much people play Modern Warfare 2 :D MW2 is 100000 or less than 150000 at best.

Top Sellers on Steam now:

4) place Battlefield:BC2
    7) place Call Of Duty: MW2

Even Counter-Strike: Source is on the 6th place now. That game is still better than Modern Warfare 2 that uses that formula. I can play it any day. Just facts.

18. DeSpiritusBellum

@17 According to Steam’s current player count (which I’m assuming you failed to look at) the tables look like this:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – Multiplayer (51000 players)
    2. Counter-Strike: Source
    3. Counter-Strike
    4. Team Fortress 2
    5. Football Manager 2010
    6. Left 4 Dead 2
    7. Alien Swarm
    8. Garry’s Mod
    9. Empire: Total War
    10. Condition Zero

With Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2′s singleplayer coming in at 11 with 5100 players.

And Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Single and multiplayer) at number 12 with 3700 players.

Brutally owned, much?

What a moron.

19. G1GAHURTZ

ZING!

20. Erthazus

2 happy CoD Fanboys are always together

“Brutally owned, much?”

Except Not.. This list is powered only by STEAM and Modern Warfare 2 is powered ONLY by Steam, while it counts only Battlefield:BC2 copies that are Online and were bought from STEAM. + D2D. I completely forgot about that.

Full EA history you can see at the Global Stats in Battlefield:BC2 EA site or the better way just install BC2 and you will see how much players on each servers and there are a lot.

21. DeSpiritusBellum

@20 Just change the subject whenever you get proven flat wrong. It’s real smooth. We don’t really notice it, man.

Pro gaming picked CoD, and the gaming community picked CoD. You can try to bend that any which way you like, but it doesn’t change fact. Experienced gamers play CoD as much as the next person.

You should try making yourself look less like a moron, and just stick to actual complaints with the game, rather than relying on statistics you pretend are true, because they’re all against you.

22. stretch215

@ 14 so what counts as “experience” when it comes to gaming, in your opinion? Shit I’ve been gaming since the 80′s, if that doesn’t count as experience I don’t know what does. I play games to enjoy myself, not to bitch and complain about the engine, framerate, etc. “I exactly know that black ops will suck” – most ridiculous thing I’ve heard all day. Thanks for the laugh, idiot. What else did your magic crystal ball tell you about the future?