Red Dead Redemption facing retail crisis in UK

Friday, 21st May 2010 16:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Red Dead Redemption 2

The UK’s gripped with a massive epidemic today: Red Dead fever. But despite that, the game’s facing a massive crisis at retailers across the land.

Supermarket Asda’s told MCV that the Rockstar western won’t be stocked in its stores today or over the weekend due to a “dispute” with the developer’s parent company Take-Two. Asda is hoping to resolve the situation with T2. Rockstar’s refused to comment on what’s happened.

It is, however, currently listing the game for both PS3 and 360 online for under £40 for the standard edition, with the special edition for both platforms sold out.

But it’s not just Asda suffering problems. Most supermarkets and high street retailers, including Game and Tesco, are reported to be facing shortages for the PS3 version of the game. Suppliers issues are thought to be the cause behind that, but CVG‘s reporting it could all actually be down to a sunken cargo ship.

So far, Game is retailing both SKUs of the game – normal and special – for PS3 and 360 on its website, with Tesco also showing the standard edition is still available.

HMV is also currently unaffected online, but is out of PS3 copies in-store and running low for 360, according to MCV. For anyone who does get a copy from the retailer, it is offering either 800 MS points or the movie 3:10 to Yuma on Blu-ray for free with the game when you purchase it, depending on what platform you buy it on, as advertised in today’s edition of The Mirror.

rdr hmv

If you’re getting a copy, best option right now seems to be getting it online. Full shot of the HMV ad can be found below.

1. reask

Yeah my local gamestop had no PS3 copies left and just a few 360 ones.
    I live in Ireland so obviously selling like hot cakes all over the place.

2. NGCes26294BIV

Nowhere has it on the high street for PS3 – HMV. GAME, ASDA, Gamestation,, you name it. Even Amazon are only selling it through a 3rd party.

Rock* will not be happy bunnies.

3. reask

The guy in game stop said to me they under estimated the PS3 sales big time.

4. Razor

Like it would have sold well on the PS3 anyway.

Oh, yeah, I went there :D

5. reask

Hey JC what’s with the PS4 tag?
    You know something we don’t. ;)

6. kofoed

Here in denmark they had huges problems getting PS3 copies, most shops had less than there was pre-orders on.

7. Erthazus

O_O PrayStation 4 tag. OMG. Something we don’t know ;)

8. reask

Shit I missed that HMV offer. :(
    Wouldn’t mind but they are only 50 yards away from each other (or should that be metres) never mind.

9. DaMan

another one has been sent to die I see, heh.

never doubted this game.

10. Johnny Cullen

Tag was an accident. Obviously meant PS3. All fixed now, chaps.

As for the game, I thought ahead and pre-ordered online, innit. ;)

Only played the first half-hour or so on it so far. Too soon to give an impression of any sort.

11. cookiejar

Went and grabbed a PS3 copy in Gamestation earlier, and the stockpile was small compared to the 360 bunch. Obviously no Special Ed’s anywhere to be seen for either platform, though.

The 4 or so people in front all bought copies on the PS3 as far as I could see.

12. humanfish

Had it on preorder for £29 from Tesco Entertainment and it was on the doormat when i got in yesterday. Very impressed.

13. NoxNoctisUmbra

The game is that fucking good!

14. ninjanutta

glad i avoided all the shit,i got it over a week ago

15. satsugai

I walked into Blockbuster this morning and the guy at the till instanly started yammering on to me about how there isn’t any RDRs in, lol. I wasn’t even in there for RDR.

16. AHA-Lambda

WOW they have SERIOUSLY underestimated the PS3 demand for this game.

17. Johnny Cullen

I think everyone has, to be honest. :|

18. AHA-Lambda

i didnt rly =/

it wont sell as much as 360 but its still omne of the biggest titles this year and the ps3 has gained a whole lot of momentum from this time last year.

Made sense to me :P

19. xokero

trophy Red Dead Redemption in http://www.clandragonrojo.es/guia-de-trofeos-red-dead-redemption

Cheat Red Dead Redemption in http://www.clandragonrojo.es/trucos-de-red-dead-redemption

20. Mike

Danish retailer told me that they can only sell PS3 copies to people who have pre-ordered. The “official PS3 release” has now been put back.

21. The Hindle

Thats weird why would they put it back

22. Mike

Dunno. I told him I saw the PS3 version for sale in Blockbusters but he said his shop got an email from the supplier saying that only pre-orders are to be honoured.

He was gutted as he wanted one.

He’s now going to Blockbusters to buy it.

23. frostquake

Now I feel guilty that I haven’t even opened my Special Edition of RDR, to busy playing Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Awakenings, and Aqua. Oh and buying Empire Strikes Back Clothes for my Avatar and getting him a little pet…My Tauntaun is SOOOO cute!!