Bright Falls: The prequel to Alan Wake now online

Saturday, 15th May 2010 16:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

alanwakea4

Remedy’s six-part prequel to Alan Wake, Bright Falls, has landed online, and you can check it out on Machnima’s YouTube.

Co-written and directed by Phillip Van, you get each episode via the following links:

Alan Wake was released yesterday in Europe, and hits the US on Tuesday, May 18.

Thanks, Shack.

1. AbracadaverAK

I thought the plan for this was to built a little hype prior to release? Seems a little bit pointless to release the final episodes a few days after the game’s out…

2. Moonwalker1982

I received my game this afternoon in the mail, i made sure to have finished the episodes first though. So this evening/tonight i’m gonna start with the game.

These episodes are awesome, and i can especially recommend watching the analysis(sp?) of the episodes from Machinima themselves. They noticed things i hadn’t noticed at all. Very cool!!!!

AbracadaverAK

A week ago the first two episodes came out, and last week another two. And i think yesterday the last two came out.
    So they have been out for awhile, but now you can simply see all of them at once.

3. Eon

Already seen the first 3 but wasn’t going to wait for the 4th, 5th and 6th before I played Alan Wake because I got the game on Thursday. Ahwell, just completed it…LOVE IT. Can’t wait for the dlc. I’ll watch these from start to end now and hopefully some bits will make more sense now.

4. AbracadaverAK

The official Bright Falls website didn’t even have 5 and 6 online last night.

I should say that I really enjoyed the first few when they came out. That’s part of the reason that I was a bit disappointed with the way they released them. I would’ve though releasing an episode a day up until release would have made sense. Nevermind.

5. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i agree, i was waiting for episode 5 and 6 when basically the game was already in stores, yesterday. The timing is indeed rather strange. But plenty of stuff happens in these episodes and at the end it will still have you asking what the hell happened. So i really hope the game will answer this for me.

6. MushroomStamp

Considering the gaming world revolves around the US, and it’s not out here yet, these videos DID come out before the game.

7. JL

Agree with you AK – the release schedule was in tatters even before the first episode was officially released. The New York Times got to host the first two episodes before NA/EU XBL users had even got a sniff of it, let alone the Bright Falls site. And from there to YouTube in no time. Don’t think MS’ PR people knew too much about it either.

Other thing was that the episode release dates were timed to build up to the NA release, rather than the earlier EU release (again, don’t think they realised EU release was first). Hence the last two going up a bit “early” in an effort to fall in step with EU consumers.

Shame because the live action series is really good.

The best thing MS / JCPR/Edelman did to recover from the mixup was to make the Machinima crew part of the marketing push. Machinima did a good job of it too.

8. Moonwalker1982

Loving the game, wow. The atmosphere is incredible, and i’m really taking my time with the game. I noticed on other forums that people say the episodes are quite short and all. But i’m like a hour and half into the first episode and still not finished, short? Not for me.

I am loving these environments and everything, i walk around and explore outside of the path that i am ‘intended’ to go and find collectables and ammo and items.

9. Dralen

I just got Alan Wake today, and bloody hell is it good. I really wanted to take my time with it, but I honestly couldn’t turn off my xbox (only just turned it off because I need to go to bed :P). I’ll probably watch these episodes now.

10. Enkeixpress

Lucky you did turn it off Dralen.. Spend more than 6 hours on it & there’s a 90% chance of your 360 getting the RROD/E74 error

11. Moonwalker1982

You mean just that game will cause the RROD? Or because you spend 6 hours using the 360?

12. Dralen

Lol! I was on it all day in the end, even left it running when I went down for dinner. So that error thing must be BS.