id: DOOM 4 will be “awesome”

Monday, 10th May 2010 09:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

doom3

Rage is “awesome” – we can verify that for you right now. But what’s the next big “awesome” thing from id Software? DOOM 4, innit.

“It’s gonna be cool. It’s gonna be awesome,” the firm’s creative director Tim Willits told X360A at a Bethesda press event recently.

“Hopefully, it’ll be even more awesome than Rage. For us as a company, every game needs to be better than the last. I truly believe that Rage is the best game we’ve ever made. When we made Doom 3 I said, Doom 3 is the best game we’ve ever made and Rage will be better.

“Hopefully. Doom 4 needs to be even more awesome than Rage.”

On Friday, Bethesda’s Pete Hines said it was D4 and Rage that will show id’s “true potential”.

News on the game, however, is being kept mum until Quakecon in August. But in the meantime, it’s working on the post-apocalyptic FPS. And it looks so “awesome”. Get our interview with Willits from the European Bethesda pre-E3 press event here.

Rage releases next year on PC, 360, Mac and PS3.

1. Isuru86

Can I has Game Now ???

2. Anders

I hope he’s right.

3. soqquatto

I’m still waiting for the day someone will say “our next game is going to be a total waste of your time”

4. Blerk

Reverse-psychology marketing! Brilliant!

“Man, our next game is SHIT! Really, don’t get it. It’s rubbish. You’ll hate it.”

5. mington

Wont we all be sick and tired of generic fps in 3 years time? I’m not saying doom 4 going to be generic, but it wont be a killer app if they follow the normal doom formula. i think they’ll stuff it full of gimmicky stuff like switching to a alternate demon universe on the fly n shit

I’d be shitting myself if i had to work on doom 4, they’ll be competing against crysis 3 and Modern warefare 25

6. Patrick Garratt

This sort of headline makes me proud of what we’ve built.

7. Erthazus

I want to see a PC version. Thats it. It’s going to be awesome.
    I don’t understand playing ID Games on consoles. The biggest stuff with their games are physics, graphics with great old school fast paced shooter mechanics.

@5 If they are not going to follow Doom formula then it’s going to be a FAIL. True Doom fans expect only that gameplay and ID won’t change it never.
    I’m sick of stupid Killzones with Gears Of wars where you need to hide and do some shit behind walls. No thank you, enough of that Casual bullshit.

8. Blerk

You prefer to do shit in the open? :-D

9. Benjo1981

I’ll do shit anywhichwhere.

10. mington

Doom 4 will have a new type of grenade ‘the poo stick’, you shit in the open, poke it with a stick then throw said stick. The enemy will pick up the stick to throw it back only to discover he is touching poo……and kills himself (or else it wouldn’t be a very good grenade would it, maybe the enemy’s are like super clean freaks or something)

11. Benjo1981

Or maybe they just LOVE shit. Player does a dump in the middle of the arena; enemies come running; find a grenade stashed in the middle of the dump: Shit Bomb.

Epic Win.

12. Erthazus

@8 :D YES, it’s kinda better to do in the open :D

Like Valve and ID Software with their games. They both know the right fast paced or slow paced oldschool FPS formula. ID of course in past years made sucky products with shiny graphics. But now, i hope they learnt their mistakes.

13. Whizzo

Weapons with lights this time please id.

14. Elven_Star

A developer saying its game will be “awesome”, wow I’m stunned. Gonna buy this day 1 blablablablabla. Seriously, people.

15. onlineatron

@Mington

I think you’ve got your information mixed with something else.

I heard the new weapon in Doom 4 is a ‘Monster Closet’. It’s a literal closet that you turn on enemies and fire out devil spawn at unsuspecting moments.

It’s irony at it’s finest.

16. AHA-Lambda

they said doom 3 would be awesome…it wasn’t. Can’t say I overly care about doom 4 at this point at all =/

17. blackdreamhunk

I am willing to bet money this game will be dumb down junk……id software has lost it’s mojo along time ago.

18. MushroomStamp

Hopefully he defines awesome by the ability to use a flashlight and gun simultaneously.

19. xino

after playing GOW3, I’m expecting d00m 4′s graphics to blow it away!

20. manamana

I’m sick of all that awesome, bigger, badasshietz talking! Get the game tight and gamers will buy it! If not you’ll lose credibility since gamers have an almost perfect memory(if enough RAMs available).