Halo: Reach sees 1 million players in first 24 hours

Thursday, 6th May 2010 08:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

haloreach3

Microsoft’s announced that over 1 million players had played the multiplayer beta of Halo: Reach in its first 24 hours.

The taster had an exact figure of 1,170,112 users in the time it launched between Bank Holiday Monday and Tuesday, while 157,972,986 kills had been made in the same period.

We salute you, the Halo hardcore massive. Keep up the fight.

Microsoft also announced this morning it would open up the beta to Silver Xbox Live members from next Friday, before closing on May 19.

The full game releases this fall.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. manamana

Could’ve been 2m players imo. The servers screwed. Silly, since Bungie could’ve known how many gamers would be online …

2. DJ Deathstar

Yeah especially as a couple of weeks ago weren’t they saying they expect over 2m people to play

3. Gadzooks!

1 million in 24 hours, they said they expect 3 million over however long the beta lasts (around 2-3 weeks?).

That sounds achieveable.

4. Erthazus

I played this game just 1 hour ago in my friends place. Unbelievable crap.

Same slow mechanics where this does not working very well. It’s a slow Quake III wannabe with 2003-2004 graphics and with licensed speed tree engine. It’s not enough deep. Guns have no dispersion at all (Thats fine if it is something like Quake 3 or Unreal), but it’s slow and it’s not working. You have no feeling that you are in the middle of the battlefield. Or some competition, tournament i don’t know.

this game is just overhyped. I played 15-20 minutes and i was done. It’s so easy. Well, maybe Halo is targeted for children that never played games before. It’s not deep enough for me. It’s just boring in my opinion.
    Abilities are an interesting stuff, but it was created long ago. It adds some personality to your character in the multiplayer, but there is no fucking team work in it. It’s not working. It’s just bad.

Team work in fast-dynamic FPS games was created since first Unreal Tournament. This game need so much work. That i can’t describe how much it needs. It’s not deep enough.

But people will buy overhyped crap. Good luck.

5. Tonka

Well halo there, I bet this will reach a lot of players.

6. Aimless

Has anyone else noticed an annoying buzzing noise when visiting this site? It seems to be loudest when reading articles related to Halo.

Could the staff look into this?

7. daytripper

@4 I agree with you about Halo but if people want to play it and enjoy the game whats the problem? i thought final fantasy xiii was a big bucket of beaver jizz but loads still love it, is patronising people over this justified? hell no.

8. Erthazus

@7 Because Final Fantasy XIII is a BIG BUCKET OF BEAVER JIZZ + Overhyped BUCKET OF BEAVER JIZZ

Thats the problem. Enjoying – ok, but praise this is another story.

9. mington

/casts Thundaga

10. daytripper

11. Gheritt White

That ignore button can’t come soon enough, Pat.

12. daytripper

sorry :(

13. mington

you should be ashamed of yourself

you’ve let us all down, but more then that…

you’ve let yourself down

it’s ok, wipe away those tears and go get yourself cleaned up and we’ll go get you an ice cream

14. Gheritt White

Also, FFXIII was hardly overhyped – press editorial and community interest was lukewarm throughout the life-cyle of the game’s media campaign.

I think Erthazus is confusing hype with Squeenix’s marketing and ad spend – marketing is publisher driven, hype is media/community driven.

15. daytripper

13@ (blushes) i’m ashamed, good enough?

16. mington

you can have sprinkles and strawberry sauce

17. mington

TWO SCOOPS?

do you think we’re made of money

18. jeremycafe

I played two games, and my response was:

They made a new engine? Sure LOOKS AND FEELS the same as halo 3. Someone get a bit addicted to the copy/paste?

Bungie is incapable of creating a new game. Too bad I will still buy this for the single player.

19. daytripper

three scoops and a flake

halos all about the online imo, especially winding up retards like this

20. Erthazus

@14 I’m not confused. Marketing campaign is hype in its own way. You need to tease people and make them excited and make everything right. I was excited and waited for the Final Fantasy game. I liked Tetsuya Nomura character design, graphics were good from the trailers.
    Then,
    It was the worst Final Fantasy experience i ever had. Did i mentioned before that this generation is the worst generation?

I’m sorry for that post about Halo:Reach Gheritt, but i will not post anymore about Reach, so please sorry if i did something to you. I played and it is my last opinion on it. I still think, that Halo:Reach drives marketing campaign, media campaign and other great stuff that makes Microsoft/Bungie. I don’t see something special about this game, it’s like a phenomenon. Same goes to Modern Warfare for example. An awesome marketing campaign (they spent 50 million on it) and great sales, not so great a videogame in my opinion.
    For me, 20 minutes of Halo:Reach was an underwhelmed experience. It fails to impress me.

21. mington

Maybe i’ll enjoy the multiplayer in this one more as they’ve sharpened up the accuracy. I had real issues with the bullet spray in halo 3

i loved dual wielding the machine pistols though

have they still got dual wielding?

22. OlderGamer

I have to agree with both Erthazus and Day.

I played Reach Beta, I don’t like it.

But Day is right too Erthazus, live and let live. Your a pretty hardcore Sony guy. This is a MS exclusive game. Millions of gamers will buy and enjoy Reach. Thats gotta bother you I am sure. No biggie. Live and let live.

To each, their own.

Oh and I agree with you guys again, I hated the new FF as well. I went back and replayed FFII on the VC, Wii – what a great game that was.

In the end Eth, share your opinions, but respect other peoples too. That will take you a long way, esp on this site.

23. manamana

@21: Not in the beta. And @4: Whats the problem with having a big sack of fun? Being 20minutes into a game you probably didn’t even get the controls right? For Kids is ilomilo. Halo is not, even if it looks so … but you wan’t get it, since you will not spend an hour or so on that. But it’s ok, KZ3 will be on your way …

@Olde: good point, m8.

24. Dralen

I was really hoping they would try something different with this Halo, but its pretty much exactly the same as all the others. Only difference is the armor abilities, but it’s not a big enough deal for me to want to buy it though.

25. reask

Yeah been playing it since launch and I am not too sure about it really.
    Looks good and all that but wtf with killing players.
    I mean how many rounds does it take to get someone. :(
    I must have sprayed thousands of shots into guys to no avail.

I would be the first to admit that I aint the greatest online player but this game seems unreal to me.
    Dont get me wrong here I manage to get kills but it just doesn’t feel right somehow.

I will stick with it for another while but somehow I reckon this could be skipped for me as an online game.
    btw this is only my opinion and I am not knocking it as I know it is loved by millions so chances are its me.

26. manamana

I think Bungie has got the dilemma not to change too much, because millions get to know the controls and everything must be familiar and so on. On the other hand, i think they have just shown a little of what will come in september, sice this is more of a tech-test. But who knows? It’s not that the graphics “blew my socks off”. But this is beta and MP. Chances are, that the campaign will have more punch. Hopefully. And if not – who cares, it’s the last Halo game! ;-)

27. Gheritt White

Personally, I’ve no intention of playing Halo:Reach’s online multiplayer mode, so i couldn’t give a monkeys. I’m hoping that the single player campaign is at least on par with Halo:CE, as Halo 2 and Halo 3 were a bit of a let down on that front.

28. mington

@oldergamer

reading your comment sounded like i was listening to jerry’s final thoughts :P

Are you Jerry Springer?

i’m Pamela Anderson, honest ;)

29. Mauller

@oldergamer SNES FF games were their pinnacle.

30. zoopdeloop

I have to agree with some thoughts here…this indeed is the worst generation of gaming.
    As for the latest FF…it wasn’t so good but it was decent much better from the latest XII in many departments while in some others much worse.

Back to the topic’s title.Halo is indeed over hyped,i played it(Reach) myself and i don’t “feel” it at all that makes me wonder how on earth millions of people worship this franchise.Then again all these numbers we hear like in this article could be bollocks…and sales of Halo games “well paid lies” from Microsoft just for the sake of hyping the game more

31. DaMan

exactly, Mauller. late SNES was the pinnacle of jrpgs in general.