Sony announces God of War: Ghost of Sparta for PSP

Tuesday, 4th May 2010 14:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

godofwar37

Sony has announced that Kratos will be returning to PSP later in the year in God of War: Ghost of Sparta.

So that’s what all those teasers were about then, eh?

It’s being developed by Ready at Dawn, the same folks who brought you God of War: Chains of Olympus.

According to SCEA’s Eric Levine, the new title will be “pushing the limits of what PSP can do with state-of-the-art visual technologies, higher resolution environments, and greater depths of scale”.

The handheld version will also contain 25 percent more gameplay, an improved weapon system, and new magical powers than the first outing on PSP.

As for the storyline, it will serve as a prequel, picking up where God of War left off. Ghost of Sparta tells the story of Kratos’ ascension to power as the God of War, and in order to prove himself worthy to the Gods, Kratos must face his past and journey into lost worlds.

The game is also expected to answer questions regarding his family, scar and tattoo.

More is expected to be shared closer to the game’s full E3-reveal in June.

We’ll have more on this for you as soon as we get the official press release on it, so expect another post.

Meanwhile, head on over to the US PS Blog for screens.

It will also be made available on PSPgo.

1. Anders

Thank god. First interesting PSP title for quite a while.

2. Bulk Slash

Excellent, enjoyed the first one recently on the Go, it will be nice to have another one to play.

3. Erthazus

PSP is getting great games. I love my PSP.
    Maybe i’m mistaken, or i’m complete wrong about this, BUT for me personally PSP is the best handheld system with games right now.
    DS have not bad games, but not suited for my gaming tastes. I like The World Ends With You, but thats just it for me.

@1 How about Peace Walker? :)

4. V_Ben

I suppose with sony announcing the 2nd biggest psp game of this year a month before E3, they must have some pretty big news for the actual event!

5. Zarckan

I’m anxiously awaiting PSP Gravity Crash :D

6. itsucks

Move over please, let the cow in, she has a lot of milk to be milked.

lol, god of War: Now we kill ghosts of gods.

7. sennasnit

@itsucks
    Go back to N4G

8. Joe Anderson

The SpartanStandsTall Site hasn’t changed and it also has a subheader saying GOW III, so I’m guessing that this announcement is perhaps unrelated? Who knows though.

9. V_Ben

The Spartans stand tall web site is for this game. It just hasn’t updated yet :-/

10. Anders

@3 Never cared much for the MGS series, to be honest. Gave it a try last gen but quickly realized that it wasn’t for me.

11. Joe Anderson

@9 Ah fair enough :)

12. Boris Fett

Nice to see the PSP getting some love.

13. DJ Deathstar

@ Zarckan

Me and you both!
    passed beta today!

14. Blerk

That looks rather good for a handheld!

15. The Hindle

If i was to speculate id say we could be getting a Psp gow trilogy as well.

16. Bikki

Im really looking forward to this.

17. ianbenoir

well, i’m still disappointed with gow3. amazing game, but it seems like i’ll never have a reason for playing it again… and it was all over so fast..

anyway…

This game looks amazing. Shame its only for psp, they should release it as a psn game for ps3 too. I bet there are many ppl like me who have no interest in buying a portable.

I never played chains of olympus and now i will not play this one.

Tks sony guys for bringing exclusives inside their own company! LOL.
    So much money they could make of this…