Crysis 2 gets “slightly more performance” out of PS3 than 360

Wednesday, 14th April 2010 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

crysis 2

Either one will do.

According to Crytek’s business development boss, Carl Jones, the developers got only “slightly more” performance out of the PS3 version than the 360′s, but at the same time it will look great “on every platform”.

“We haven’t found it more difficult to develop for PS3,” he told PSM3 (via CVG). “We’re lucky in the fact that we’ve come to the generation slightly later than other people – the ones who were trying to build the first technology and games were surprised at how different the PS3 was. We took our time and worked out the right way to approach it.

“At the moment, we’re getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360. I’m very confident that products using CryEngine 3 are going to come out as the best looking, or at least in the top three, on every platform.”

Crysis 2 is slated for the end of the year for PC as well.

While you’re here, check out Part 2 of Pat’s interview with Cevat Yerli where he discusses game narrative.

Thanks, mington.

1. naffgeek

Seriously, show us the game or shut the fuck up for a bit.

2. Happy Hardon Harry

I’ll be playing this on PC, so likewise, i don’t give a fuck about the console versions.

3. AHA-Lambda

Yea, guys can we actually request no more crysis 2 stories? I’m sick of hearing it too.

4. AlmightyDogbert

Thought they would,
    No biggie, if I cared about graphics I would have got a PC.

5. Robo_1

6. Redh3lix

It’s shaping up to be an awesome game. LOTS of people want to hear about it…. dont read the story if you dont want to… nobody’s forcing you. I fucking hate people who need decisions made for them. :/

7. Robo_1

Then just ignore them. I hate people who have to whinge about people whinging about things when they could just skip over their comments. ;)

8. Gekidami

This must be the 360 version then. :D

9. Redh3lix

Then you should just STFU and ignore the fact I’m tell you to ignore the fact I’m telling you to ignore the article…. hmmmm kay?

10. AlmightyDogbert

@Geki, where is that from?

That looks shit, really really shit.

11. Gekidami

Its apparently a shot from the recent Crysis 2 demo.

12. subversus

@Geki

wow, that looks great!

/pumped

13. DaMan

hehe, would be hillarious if it ended up like Haze now.

14. AlmightyDogbert

This = overhyped,

overhyped more than modern warfare 2 and its only just been announced, how is that possible?!

Oh yeah…

15. ybfelix

No one ever mentions PS3 came out a full year after 360. In PC graphic world that’s like forever. Yet PS3 was mostly on par with 360 hardware-wise.(And was more expensive)

16. AlmightyDogbert

PS3 does have more potential than xbox, everyone needs to get over that and realise it isn’t a big deal.

I only have an xbox and I don’t care, why? I like my exclusives slightly more compared to what I would have on PS3 and my friends are on xbox, that’s what really matters, not graphics

17. DaMan

it’s because of the cpu, ybfelix. as well as extra storage. PS3 gpu is even slower.

18. ybfelix

I know, but can’t help thinking of the original xbox, it was a year later than PS2, undisputed technically superior, had extra storage, and launched at a lower price than PS3.

And it doesn’t break :S

19. AlmightyDogbert

But the original xbox was still held back because of the larger install base on ps2

20. NiceFellow

Is the narrative going to be slightly better on PS3, too?

Also, couldn’t these guys just run some ads for their game hitting consoles rather than this constant stream of ‘net bait comments and interviews?

21. Retroid

The demo videos from last year did look a bit better on PS3 than 360, but little details.

At least we know it that if the game itself is any good, it shouldn’t be a lemon on either console.

22. KAP

Gotta love VG247…

“Those who own both PS3 and Xbox 360 wondering which version to pick up when Crytek releases Crysis 2 need wonder no longer.

Either one will do.”

Yet when Bayonetta or Ghostbusters came out it was clear you mention to get the 360 version.

PS3 cant do anything right these days can it.

Jokers.

Time and time again the PS3 will prove to everyone what its capable of when its developed by talented people, yet when it gets a better port the opinion is “get both”

STOP CASHING M$ CHEQUES GUYS! PLEASE!

(easier said then done though right?)

23. Aimless

If all Microsoft are getting for their supposed cheques are neutral comments, I would say the onus is on them to stop wasting money.

24. Erthazus

Who fucking cares? I saw console graphics screenshots and it looks really bad compared even with Low-Medium settings with CE2.

I have PS3 and won’t play Crysis on it. The screenshot that Geki showed to me is just REALLY, i mean, R E A L L Y bad.

25. DaMan

hey KAP check this out

26. 2plus2equals5

@gekidama:
    It’ s a fake right? Looks terrible!

27. Stephany Nunneley

@22 If MS was paying us the big bucks, I would think we’d be living a lot better than we do.

Secondly, the reason the WHOLE INTERNET was saying to get the Xbox 360 version of Bayonetta was because of issues that even the developer admitted the PS3 port had, which SEGA took full responsibility for and got Sony to help out on making the framerate a bit better, as well as the jagged lines in it.

Other than that, thanks for visiting and have a nice day.

28. mtmind2

@22 who said “Yet when Bayonetta or Ghostbusters came out it was clear you mention to get the 360 version…STOP CASHING M$ CHEQUES GUYS! PLEASE”

I think you’re looking for bias that isn’t there.

As Stephany Nunneley mentioned, Bayonetta had major issues on the PS3, hence the 360 was the recommended version. Same with Ghostbusters, where the PS3 version was poor compared to the 360 version (for a number of reasons).

Hence Bayonetta and Ghostbusters were not just slightly better on the 360, they were *noticeably* better (read some of the reviews and comparison features!).

So for Crysis 2, with the devs only getting “slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360″, most gamers probably wouldn’t see any differences betwen the 360 and PS3 versions, because any differences will be minor, hence both are just as good, hence “Either one will do”.

29. dirigiblebill

Peoplewhoaccusepeopleoftakingbribeslol.

You know what I’d do if somebody ever offered me cash for favourable reportage? Write a big fuck-off editorial on the bastards, get X billion extra advert impressions and buy myself a new HDTV.

30. Mike

Slightly more performance, considerably less sales.

31. gomersoul

ps3 has more capabilities… end of. but games wise there is no reason to choose between the two consoles. i don’t care about sales, it’s not like i see the money. quality over quantity

32. ZeroX_9876

@mtmind2

did you see the loading time of Fist of the north star on 360 and ps3 comparison?
    check the vid
    it’s pretty damn horrible on 360!!
    it’s probably just a bad job at porting it that’s all, just like what bayonetta was.

33. blackdreamhunk

what a bout pc? will it get a lot of performance

34. Stephany Nunneley

It will probably be the best version, yes BDH. But I only say that because I’m paid under the table by the PC Market to say good things about it. That’s why I own a $200K home, and drive a Jaguar.

I also have a ocean front property in Iowa to sell, and if you like I will throw the London Bridge in free.

35. blackdreamhunk

too funny lol that is all I am going to say.

36. psxman

Ah, so this thread is what all the tweets were about.
    Fanboys will be fanboys.

37. Erthazus

I’m still waiting for the PC version trailer. They say that it’s not about the sales, then why there are NO *PC* TRAILER OF CRYSIS 2? :( *Really dissapointed and sad face*

And people ask why games sell bad on PC… Because of this…

38. mtmind2

@ZeroX_9876

Correct, they were not as good as they should have been, but that wasn’t the point I was making. My point was that KAP was claiming bias against the PS3 (read his post @22), when clearly there isn’t any bias being shown here, and the examples he gave (Bayonetta and Ghostbusters) were probably the two worse examples he could have chosen. :)