Kitase: Final Fantasy VII to be remade only if takes a year to do so

Saturday, 20th February 2010 23:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ffvii

Yoshinori Kitase has said that Final Fantasy VII could be remade if it were feasible to do so within a year’s time.

Speaking to TechDigest, Kitase said that with today’s technology it is possible to remake the game, but being able to do it within a year would not be possible.

“If it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we’d very much like a go at it,” he told the site (via Kotaku).

“But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we’d imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together. So it’s looking pretty unrealistic.

“But if any such situation came about, by any remote chance, then yes, we’d do it”.

Looks like it’s just the PSN version for the time being then, kiddos, despite Kitase being really interested in seeing how it would turn out. Even if he does think it would be hard to do in this day and age of HD.

Don’t worry though. FFXIII is out in a few scant weeks, and there’s always the chance that our hero, Cloud, could turn up in other games.

1. Phoenixblight

Really? I would say let an up and coming RPG studio give it a whirl.

2. SadyFarah

I wouldn’t mind if the scenarios where pre-rendered as the original. But I do understand that a FF7 would require a stupidly insane amount of work…

What I don’t understand is WHY spend more than a year in a ff7 remake would be a wrong choice.

I can imagine how fast money will flying into their pockets with such a project.

.. Special editions… DLC with extra materials and special ultima weapons… spin offs…

3. JimFear666

the game isnt out yet and im tired x 1000000000 to hear bs about FFVII

4. hitnrun

I can only hope something was lost in translation there.

5. Joe_Gamer

I don’t get it, a FF7 remake would sell like sex in a bottle, damn near everyone I know would buy a copy. So why the hell are they so reluctant to actually make it?

6. 51googlepm

It’s a testament to a bag’s inherent beauty and good design if the color it’s featured in is baby puke brown and I still absolutely love it. I’m opposed to all forms and iterations of brown and tan, but the Gucci G Wave Large gucci handbag Leather Tote is easily beautiful enough to shine through a color choice that I may not particularly care for (and that a lot of people may really like). When Gucci gets something right, they get it right, and this bag is all kinds of right. The leather looks absolutely touchable and soft, but still thick and a bit rugged, which is perfect for Gucci’s slightly exotic aesthetic. Not only that, but the bag looks utterly functional, and is probably not too showy to use as a work bag,gucci handbag, as long as your office isn’t particularly conservative. But my favorite part of the entire design is the details. When details are bad, it can sink the whole bag (and, quite frankly,gucci shoe, lessen my opinion of an entire brand), but the details on this one are so spot-on. I love the braided gucci shoe details, which appear to be an emerging trend across the handbag landscape, but obviously my favorite aspect is the crocodile trim. I wish more brands incorporated exotic accents into their designs ‘ it’s a great way to add texture and visual variation to a bag, not to mention a note of luxury, with a relatively minimal expense (compared to making an entire exotic bag, of course). Gucci gets it exactly right with this one. Buy through Saks for 190.

7. Eregol

Must be feasible.
    They already have the core game down. And it works on PS3 too.
    So, if they just whack a few extra polygons onto the characters and re-do all the textures then they’re good to go.
    Not like they’ve got to build a new fighting system or anything is it?

8. Gekidami

They’d still need to redo aload of assets even if they used the XIII engine. Then most likely have to hire voice actors, they’d probably want to go over the games plot and make changes to things they may have thought didnt really need to be in there, maybe even add new stuff.

I doubt it would be doable in under a year, VII was a pretty big game already.

9. Dimacorgan

@6 WTF?????

By the way, I’d love to see this game enhanced to today’s standards, it would kick FFXIII in the nuts!
    And yes, considering the original sales and ones of the PSN version, I bet that would get Square a pretty penny… so why the hell do you need more proof?! Go on and do it!

10. Yoshi

Wow with the recent news of these fuckers, if i was guna buy this game i wouldnt lol they seem so fuckin stupid, makin pathetic excuses… “Ohhh well i chipped my nail so i dont think we’ll make FF12 again” WTF *SLAP*

Its a good job i find the FF games rather borring lol

11. MushroomStamp

UGH… Why won’t this game just die! FF7 was overrated back then the rehashes are sad… this game is NOT that great for modern gaming… why not just make a new game that won’t be stale and played out. Squeenix has lost all creativity and ability to make quality games.

12. Brol

“A year” doesn’t mean much if he doesn’t specify the size of the team. The amount of work a single guy can do in one year is slightly different that the one done by a 200-person team in the same time.

13. Freek

Seems to be cultural thing. Japanese developers apparently can’t flat out say “No, never gonna happen” , so the issue is dragged out in “what if” scenarios and “we would like too…” style apologies.

14. Blerk

“If something’s hard to do, then it’s not worth doing.” :-)

I guess one of the reasons they’re not so bothered about doing it is precisely because the PSN releases of the originals have done well. Why bother remaking it if you can just flog the old version again?