Alan Wake: Remedy talks DLC, flashlights

Tuesday, 16th February 2010 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

alanwake

Remedy’s Sam Lake has said that the DLC released for Alan Wake will have a “seasonal” feel to it, kind of like different volumes of a television series, with the original game being considered the “first season”.

Speaking with Game Informer, Lake also revealed to the magazine just how much the use of light comes into play during the action in the game. Don’t worry though, there’s other weapons besides light.

“From the very beginning we have created Alan Wake to be something bigger than just one game,” said lead writer Sam Lake told the mag.

“That was the goal all along, so yeah. The first game is the first season and it takes you deep into Alan Wake’s world. We feel that different TV series do this thing differently but we felt that the season needs to have a satisfying ending.

“Alan Wake needs to reach a certain conclusion and the player needs to be able to reach his goals but at the same time we want to open doors beyond this first game into a larger story.

“Yeah, this is the first season and we are going to be doing downloadable content afterward. Right now we are still concentrating on final tweaks and final, small polish issues. Once get this shipped then we are looking into downloadable content.”

As far as atmosphere was concerned, Alan Wake will make use of different light-based gameplay placed “on top of the conventional action”.

“Light is very important, it is the key gameplay element, said Lake. “You definitely can’t survive in Alan Wake without a light source. That’s what you need. You can almost think of light-based gameplay as an additional layer on top of the conventional action.

“So we have a wide variety of light-based tools in the game, different kind of flashlights, handheld flares, a flare gun…[a turret, the headlights of a car (added Oskari Hakkinen, head of franchise development)].

“We have more conventional weapons there as well. So the basic situation is that Alan Wake’s – this mysterious thriller manuscript that Wake cannot remember writing but seems to have been written by him is coming true and it talks about the dark presence that has woken up in the town of Bright Falls. In darkness, the dark presence can pretty much take over everything; people and animals and inanimate objects and vehicles as well.

“You need light. It depends on the strength of the light source and how strong that particular enemy is. How strong the dark presence is in this enemy. It’s a combination of these things. A flock of birds, for example, that is attacking you, you only need a normal flashlight and you can burn them away and they disappear. But for a stronger enemy you can only burn the dark presence away but the enemy keeps on coming at you and you need that conventional weapon to – although, if you have a very strong light source such as a flash-bang grenade or a flare gun or a searchlight you can destroy these enemies with light only.”

Remedy says the game will not be all doom and gloom though, as flashbacks or memories take you back into the light in order to keep the player “grounded to reality”.

“If it was just action from the beginning to the end, you would get numb to it and the scary bits wouldn’t feel scary for long,” added Lake.

Game’s out on 360 May 18 and 21 in the US and Europe, respectively.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

DLC ? waiting like 400000 years for it, and they talk about DLC … wtf man.. after waiting so long, they should pack in the disc as much as the can.. no excuses.

2. Psychotext

@Nox:

They’re simply going to be continuing the story after the game is finished. DLC vs waiting another 5 years for anything new.

3. Tamo123

Instead of DLC, how about a PC version? You know, like originally planned.

4. NiceFellow

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a nasty suspicion this is going to be rather short at launch and padded for length, like the first Assassin’s Creed.

I get the feeling they’ve spent a fortune on the tech and are now stripping down the story to get it out the door, dumping PC version for example (although I’m sure MS also wanted that to make the game a true exclusive).

Their description makes the first game is just an episode with the rest available as DLC, which sounds fairly suspicious too.

I hope I’m wrong, but this game has taken too long really with too much seeming to be ‘streamlined’ towards release.

I mean GT5 (as a PS3 example) has taken forever as well, but the feeling you get is the game is getting bigger steadily, not smaller as seems to be the case with Alan Wake.

I hate this whole we’re working on DLC thing before the game releases as well – just makes me think if they’re working on content then stick it in the bloody game instead of letting me know you’re going to want to charge me more for it.

5. Phoenixblight

Nicefellow in game developement they lock the content that actually goes on the disc 6 months prior to release if they plan on dlc guess what they do for that 6 months? If they wanted they could just do it like Ubisoft and Capcom, lock the content in the game and make you pay for it.

6. Psychotext

The PC version has been gone for almost a year now. All we got recently was final confirmation.

7. NiceFellow

@5 I know. I’m talking how it makes you feel to hear about it even before the game is out. It just reminds you they’ve probably locked content and are testing, etc. but also have plans for additional content as well.

I prefer DLC to be announced post release with a decent gap.

You’re right though, having locked content simply stinks. I feel like I’m being mugged with that kind of DLC.

I know development costs have gone up, but really, this whole DLC angle is simply crazy – mind you its our fault for buying it so eagerly. If you give someone permission to charge you in installments they will.

8. Phoenixblight

I agree the DLC model is a slippery slope but there are honest companies like Bioware that do it right (with giving it away free if you buy the game new)

EA CEo mentioned that games will eventually be broken up in episodes. I fear that day.

9. polygem

wtf…i hate it to hear about dlc plans when they game isn´t even available at all yet…to me this sounds like: rather short game…in case of alan wake it´s a shame that they talk about dlc pre release…so many people (including me) are waiting for this game for ages, and it´s STILL not even out yet…and they reveal their glorious dlc plans…they should better make this game a decent length…but we´ll see maybe they will – i just can´t wait to play it…i wanted so bad to play this game this winter. this is a winter game. april isn´t the best month for a game with this setting. omg. never mind kids. this is just brainstorming i guess…

10. Blerk

Gah, I was kind of hoping that Episodic gaming was dying a death, but it suddenly seems to be on the up again. Bloody hell.

11. The Hindle

Will it take 5 years to release the dlc i wonder?