Kitase “really interested” in FFVII remake

Monday, 15th February 2010 21:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffviiacc

Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase has said in an interview he would be interested in a “more complete form of Final Fantasy VII.”

Yep, it could only be the remake.

Speaking to GT, he said:

“I’m really interested to see this more complete form of Final Fantasy VII portrayed more realistically with the voice and animation and all the suttle expressions there.

“I’d be interested to see that and to make that, it would be a great experience. I don’t get tired of people asking that question, so I’ll continue to answer my thoughts as long as people keep asking.”

That’s despite comments made a while back by him and FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama, saying the game’s “style” was too hard to translate from the old PS1 days.

Comments from FF Versus XIII director Tetsuya Nomura weren’t too promising either, saying there wouldn’t be a remake anytime soon.

Get the video interview below. Kitase’s comments come near the end.

FFXIII is out on March 9.

1. JimFear666

Nothing new under the sun. I’ve heard the same answer 2 years ago.

2. Herlock

Remake company…
    Make a new game with a good story, leave this one alone!!!
    (make Xenogears if yu want really take the best)

3. Gekidami

Remake Front Mission 3. Hundred times better then this rubbish. A million times better then that ‘Evolved’ shit Square thinks will please Westerners because its ‘all action’ to.
    Or atleast release it as a classic on PSN you bastards!

4. Phoenixblight

Parasite Eve or Vagrant story far better then Front Mission or this game.

5. Talyis

Why are all of you putting this game down like it’s bad or something! All those games are good Front Mission, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, FF7 and Xenogears, but be honest what remake do you actually think will sell the most. It would be FF7 by far I’d say at least 5 to 1 ratio! Plus I personally loved FF7 and wish they made the remake, they already gave us a teaser in 2005! But I would really like to see another Xenogears or even Legend Of Dragoon even though it’s not made by SE! Hopefully if they do they will use the PS3 only for the fact that they could use 2 to 3 bluray discs to keep everything in the original game like world map, all summons, story, weapons, meteria. Basically keep it all the same except fill in some of the missing pieces with new graphics and maybe some extra content, new characters, ect.

6. SunKing

I’d probably prefer to see a remake off Front Mission 3 over FF7.

7. Hunam

To be honest, the thing with 7 was that there was so much of it that felt… odd, in that, the game was constrained by the PS1 rather than embracing it like 8 and 9 did. It always felt like it was wanting to do more than it could do and it just wasn’t comfortable.

Every one since has felt like it was built for that console, could have just been over ambitious design but it really was special and could do with a do over.

8. DaMan

the only thing they could actually improve in that game are graphics, unlike Chrono Cross or other Squaresoft games FF7 completely realized it’s potential both story and gameplay wise.

9. Crazyreyn

Out of 7, 8 and 9 it’s this one that could do with a remake the most.

10. Hunam

@DaMan

Not really though, whilst the gameplay was fine back then there have been a lot of incremental upgrades done over the years to the base system to improve and bring up to date. Plus it’s well known the game had a chunk of story pulled out due to dev time constraints. There was much more in the original working script than what made the game at the end.

11. Bulk Slash

12. Hunam

Heh. The problem now is though could they afford to remake FF7 without rushing it. Their performance of late hasn’t exactly set the world alight, DQIX not withstanding.

13. DaMan

um, that ‘s absolutely not what I was talking about.

why should the gameplay evolve if it’s a remake?

“Plus it’s well known the game had a chunk of story pulled out due to dev time constraints. There was much more in the original working script than what made the game at the end.”
    I meant stuff like Xg second disc, or CC ending. what you ‘ve mentioned happens to almost every game.

14. tatsujin

remake it on the PS3 please, give us Japanese voices too <3

15. Scyrenn

…did that guy (yeah, you) just call FF7 “rubbish”?

Well I never.

How. Rude.

Seriously, it could probably do with a new translation, at least…

16. JDemalai

I hate when ignorant people go ahead and call Final Fantasy VII rubbish because they think it’s overrated or something. Or when game journalists try to analyze the game now and say “Mate, we were wrong back then! The game’s story is bloody terrible!”

Well. You’re wrong. It’s great. It’s bloody amazing.

Also, I saw this earlier on Scrawlfx. I see you didn’t source them. How rude. Especially considering the large user base of this site compared to theirs.

17. Psychotext

The original source isn’t Scrawlfx JD, it’s GameTrailers.

18. Blerk

I wonder if they could actually remake this without screwing around with it too much? I get the impression they’d try to change all kinds of crap that everyone would hate.

19. abnormal alan

what’s up with all the FF7 hate? This is stupid last week we got never gonna happen now someone else wants to do it. Just do it or dont either way shut up going on about it

20. Michael O’Connor

“what’s up with all the FF7 hate?”

To be honest, I imagine many of the haters probably hadn’t even started puberty when this game was originally released. I also get tired of people lauding Xenogears as the greatest artistic masterpiece of all time.

21. SilkVG

“If the Enix part of SquareEnix would like to remake Actraiser I would be most grateful.”

Agreed.

I’d like to add to this my favorite Enix game: Soulblazer! A remake would rock..