Miyamoto: Nintendo working on new hardware

Monday, 8th February 2010 12:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nintendologo

Shigeru Miyamoto has yet again confirmed that Nintendo is working on new hardware.

Speaking at the Annual Japan Media Arts Festival on Saturday (via Andriasang), Miyamoto admitted the company was working on something new.

His words come following a rumoured reveal for new Nintendo hardware at GDC in a month’s time.

Official confirmation of new, in-the-works hardware is nothing new: company execs regularly assure fresh meat is on the way.

Speculation surrounding new Nintendo consoles is picking up. Wii HD is an evergreen story, and was joined recently by talk of a new DS with motion controls, which was apparently suggested by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata last month in a Japanese newspaper article, only to be flatly denied by the exec last week.

At the same event, Miyamoto confirmed he was working on a new title involving WiiMotionPlus, but isn’t the new Zelda in development for Wii.

1. Dannybuoy

My bet is Virtual Boy II…

2. mington

i hope it something that’ll make stupid people bust there tv’s and hurt themselves in new and interesting ways

i laugh every time

3. onlineatron

Can someone please talk me out of re-buying a Wii?

I sold my first a year ago after playing all the games deemed worthy…. Yet now I’m eager to try out Wii motion plus (Resort) and I want games like No more heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Metroid other M, Galaxy 2 and the next Zelda.

The black Wii is desirable as well! :S

Is it worth it?

4. Psychotext

I bought a black wii… I’ve spent less than 8 hours on it so far I reckon. Wait for the HD version. ;)

5. locus2k1

I wonder if this will be the GBA2 coming back to light after the DS ended up being as popular as it was it and so was put on hold…

6. TravisTouchdown

The last year hasn’t been wonderfully kind to the old girl – Jambo! Safari aside, obviously – but all those you mention are definitely on The List. Sports Resort’s a lot of fun too; though I can’t pretend it’s shown the legs that Sports did, perhaps predictably. Grand Slam Tennis wasn’t bad either.

Not something I’ve done a great deal of, but I do hear there’s plenty of very interesting bits appearing on WiiWare these days too. And you missed Sin & Punishment 2 off your list – so combine all that with the charms of the black machine, and sorry, but I wouldn’t try to talk you out of anything.

7. mington

@onlineatron

if you must, wait until Metroid, there’s loads of games coming out over the next couple of months on the xbox/ps3. and i bet you’ll regret it when you’re playing wii sports and we’re all talking about god of war 3

….how much does a decent gaming pc cost these days

if you’ve got money to burn. pc > wii

i’d love to get back into pc gaming

8. Bulk Slash

If you want to play all the best games you’ve got to own all the platforms. Even the Atari Jaguar had Tempest 2000. Admittedly I’ve not turned the Wii on since last year for New Super Mario Bros Wii, but it was worth continuing to own a Wii to play that game.

Hopefully Metroid and the next Zelda will also be reasons to turn the Wii on again at some point.

9. DJ Deathstar

I would love it to be the GBA2 with no touch screen or any gimmick like that because thats the reason i don’t play my DS or don’t want a Wii, give me something that just plays games via buttons please it doesn’t always have to be some gimmick involved! I used to love my old GBA!

10. onlineatron

A new Gameboy is highly unlikely given the success of the DS.

I doubt Nintendo want to confuse casual consumers by calling it anything other than the DS2.

11. DJ Deathstar

Fingers crossed its the Wii No.2 the Poo

12. Len

You can buy mine off me if you want onlineatron. ;)

I’ve had enough, I never use it and it just sits in its box in the cupboard now, not even gathering dust next to the tele like it used to. Saddening really but c’est la vie… :(

As for new hardware, not sure a Wii HD would tempt me back though you never know. Surely they’d save that for E3 if it’s gonna happen…?

13. Tonka

The Mighty PAchter was right AGAIN!
    I will never doubt thee again oh choosen one.

14. onlineatron

@len

Details? Price? Games etc?

15. Len

Christ I’ll have to plug it in and see what I put on it etc.

What’s yr mail addy and we can discuss…? Though I’ll state now it’s an NTSC-US machine, which may or may not put you off…

16. onlineatron

Ah… That does put me off unforunatly.

By ‘see what I put on it’ do yout mean to say it’s hacked?

17. Len

Lol…no, no. As in what I dl from WiiWare and all that shenanigans.

Not to worry I shall go put it on the forums elsewhere.

18. onlineatron

Lol, sorry, didn’t mean to offend :)

Yeah ok, shame I couldn’t be of much help .. I just don’t fancy using a freeloader disk for all my UK PAL games

19. NGCes26294BIV

@onlineatron – I have a virtually unused Wii (white) and Wii Fit (with balance board) and am not much of an ebayer. They’re both in perfect condition. Would be happy to see them go to a decent home for a decent price? ;)

Ah, floggin’ wares on a comment board. Awesome.

20. onlineatron

Lmao… I’ll give you my email address and we can talk price etc.

But don’t expect a concrete sale..I’m still deliberating on whether or not I should actually buy one right now.

Email: cnewby36000@hotmail.co.uk

21. NGCes26294BIV

No worries – Just thought I’d put it out there. Will send you a mail :)

22. Len

Don’t do it…especially as you didn’t buy mine!

Only joking…they’re great, that’s why I’m sell…oh… ;)

23. G1GAHURTZ

sgotta be the Wii HD, innit.

24. OlderGamer

I have no idea what it is.

WiiHD makes a lot of sense. But knowing Nintendo it is just as likly to be a new GameBoy or just a new GameBoy Color.

Whatever it is, I see flaws in Sonys 10 yr plan. Because no matter what it is it is silly to think that 10 yrs from now Sony will still ne competing against the Wii(orig) or the xb360. Cnaces are both Nintendo and MS will have newer better hardware out there. 10 years is a long time. This gen has already been around for a while.

This could very well be a New Wii. If it isn’t I wonder how long before they do announce one. And how long before MS start talking Xbox Next?