Cage rules out Heavy Rain sequel

Monday, 18th January 2010 15:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavyrain16

Quantic Dream boss David Cage has ruled out Heavy Rain 2, despite the fact the first game isn’t even out yet.

Cage made the revelation in an interview in the latest issue of OPM (via tLG).

“I don’t want to do a sequel because I’ve said what I had to say about these characters and this story,” he said.

“Honestly, I have nothing else to say,” he further added.

Explaining the reasoning behind the game’s “Chronicles” DLC, he said: “The game tells a full story, nothing is missing from it. The approach to DLC was to say, let’s work on prequels. What led the characters to be who they are in Heavy Rain? What happened to them before?”

Last summer at gamescom in Cologne, Cage told VG247 in an interview he wasn’t “sure” there was going to be a HR2.

But there is your proof, kiddlewinks: there ain’t.

The thriller got a 9/10 in its first review in the same issue of OPM, it emerged this morning.

The sex scenes and violence in the game also got detailed today, thanks to its ESRB listing.

Heavy Rain releases on February 23 in the US, February 26 in the UK.

1. Doc Robotnik

I’m going for an 8.4 metacritic average. You heard it here first ;-)

2. Razor

No way, mid 7′s.

3. Blerk

Doesn’t really rule out a sequel though, does it? Plenty of sequels feature different characters and stories. :-)

4. The Hindle

Well Faranheight got a high 80s score so i think could get low 90s

5. Quiiick

“Cage rules out Heavy Rain sequel”.

Thanks! Finally someone who understands that real art NEVER has sequels.

This doesn’t mean however that we will not see a game with similar mechanics or overall mood-settings from Quantic Dream in the not so distant future.

6. AHA-Lambda

high 80s i’m going for but personally for me if this is better than fahrenheit then it’ll be in my top 10 :D

also nice to hear for a change something not getting a sequel O_o

7. Blerk

Finally someone who understands that real art NEVER has sequels.

Nonsense! Haven’t you seen “The Last Supper 2″ with Jesus and the disciples at the kebab shop after deciding to go out for a ‘swift half before bed’?

8. Psychotext

Not to mention The Scream 2, 3, 4…

…wait, I’m thinking of something else aren’t I? :D

9. sennasnit

I tell you a game that does need a sequel
    HOGS OF WAR.

10. Bulk Slash

I think the games industry is the only one where sequels are generally better than the original. Being able to re-use your existing engine and just concentrate on optimisation, new levels and extra features means the sequel is often of a higher quality.

Of course there are always exceptions, like PoP Warrior Within…

11. Doc Robotnik

“Finally someone who understands that real art NEVER has sequels.”

“I think the games industry is the only one where sequels are generally better than the original”

Erm… Teminator 2, Aliens, TTT/ROTK, Godfather Part 2… Toy story 2?

Maybe not the last one.

12. Blerk

I still think Terminator and Alien are better than Terminator 2 and Aliens. So there. :-D

/actually loves all of them

13. The Hindle

Or DMC 2 which single handedly put me of the DMC games.

@9 fuck yea that game was awesome

14. Quiiick

A game that is innovative but lacks on some fronts may gets better with sequels but the innovation has worn out by then.
    Good example for this: Assassin’s Creed 2. It’s what the first one should have been but it’s lost all the magic of the first one by repeating the formula 2 years later.

15. NoxNoctisUmbra

Doc Robotnik said:
    January 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’m going for an 8.4 metacritic average. You heard it here first ;-)

a 7 or up, 8.4, or a 9, it wont matter, its aimed for adults who love to watch, solve and get involved with the story line. So I do not think people will look at the score and say Oh its not a HALO score so it sucks.. This is a different kind of cake.

16. Quiiick

@ NoxNoctisUmbra
    Good point. As long as HR is above 7.0 there’s nothing wrong and the game will sell to those who are interested about this kind of experience.

17. KAP

I hate the way the internet works, asking for Heavy Rain 2 when one isnt even out yet. If i was a game dev and was asked that question in an interview on the eve of my game being released, i’d tell ‘em to fuck off and ask me about a sequel ‘once youve completed my game’ atleast.

18. Hunam

No doubt the next Quantanic game will have FROM THE STUDIO THAT BOUGHT YOU HEAVY RAIN (and that other game with the mayan internet… and the one before that with david bowie. That one rocked.)

19. onlineatron

@Human

From the developer’s who bought you ‘That game(ish)/thing with the dead son’ and ‘Mayan internet strikes back’ comes the exciting new thriller… ‘Cry More Sadness O’ Mine’