Sega of America confirms Japanese VOs, English subs for Yakuza 3

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 19:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

yakuza3a3

Sega of America has told VG247 that the US edition of Yakuza 3 will contain Japanese voiceovers with English subtitles.

The company’s European arm told us on Monday that the EU version will also contain English subs and Japanese VOs.

A SoA PR told us: “Yakuza 3 will actually have full English subtitling only, no English voice-overs.

“The only Yakuza game to have English voice-over was the first one and with Yakuza 2 and 3 we feel that subtitling would be the best way to go in order to convey and preserve the emotion and intensity of the dialog.”

Earlier in the week, SoA’s Constantine Hantzopoulos said the game would contain an English-speaking voice cast.

But Sega Europe told us then later in the day that was not true.

Well, now you know. The action game is released in March for PS3.

1. MushroomStamp

HUH??? First line says they WILL have VO, then 3rd says “…Subtitling only, no English VO”..

I’m confused.

2. Patrick Garratt

It’s Japanese VO, English subtitles.

3. MushroomStamp

Ok.. that word Japanese wasn’t there before :) now it makes sense

4. Hunam

SO basically, the who english VO was someones wet dream made into internet rumour.

This has been a fucking spectacle so far. I hope the game actually shifts a few copies to make the 2 year drama worth living through.

5. Patrick Garratt

I really do hope people buy it. I’m looking forward to playing it. I’ve never tried a Yakuza game.

6. MushroomStamp

I will borrow from a friend or gamefly it, but won’t buy it. I refuse to spend hours and hours reading. I think it TOTALLY kills the immersion into the gameworld.

7. Hunam

I prey for the world when people aren’t prepared to read.

8. Gekidami

Reading is for dorks! YEEAAAHHHH!!!!! *Throws ‘pig skin’* *Drinks a keg of beer in one go*.

9. The_Deleted

At least it’s not fucking Leona Lewis. Will FFXIII have the same option, cus I’ll import the twat.

10. Johnny Cullen

Deleted – Japanese FFXIII is Japanese, innit. :)

11. Gekidami

The Japanese version of XIII only has Japanese audio and text if thats what you’re asking. The US (and most likely every western version) will have full English VO’s but from whats been said no Japanese along side it on the disc.

12. Johnny Cullen

I think my sleepyhead is starting to come round, so correct me if I am wrong. But I believe Square might have said there will be Japanese VOs as an optional choice in the English version in March. Don’t quote me though.

Again, sleepyhead. So forgive me if I get this wrong.

13. Gekidami

If i remember correctly Square said for sure that the 360 version had no chance of coming with Japanese audio. But later on they said that to keep both versions “equal” the PS3 version wouldnt have the option either.

14. MushroomStamp

@7, I have no problem with reading. I enjoy reading books. But, i do NOT enjoy reading while i’m trying to play a game or watching a movie. It separates you from the content and over-all immersion of the product.

15. The_Deleted

I’d sooner have subs than some piss poor acting. That’ll fuck your immersion far more than having to read. At least it’ll come across like a Chan Wook movie.

16. MushroomStamp

Then don’t get shit acting. That’s simple.

17. The_Deleted

But not cheap.

Or obvious to the money men.

18. MushroomStamp

So, better manage your product or get financing to do your product right. You want a great game, you spend money, you want to cater a niche market and do things your way and not make as much money, then do what they did. It’s not difficult to get great voice acting MANY games do it. Lazy developers and poor product managers use it as an excuse.

19. The_Deleted

I’m on your side, mate!!!