David Cage wants the game industry to grow up

Thursday, 5th November 2009 14:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

davidcage

Heavy Rain creator David Cage has said that he would like to see the game’s industry grow up a bit when it comes to creating characters for videogames.

“As an industry we make games for teenagers and kids,” Cage told NowGamer. “So we try to make things very casual and as clear as possible.

“The bad guys have to be very baaaaad and the hero has to have big muscles and look fantastic, and the women have to have big boobs and be very sexy because to a teenager, this is what women are.

“I think we’ve passed that stage and we can go to the next one and say, ‘You know what, you can be a very evil character, but it’s not written on your face’.”

The part one of interview with Cage can be found through here.

1. Sethos

Eugh! Massive growth on his face, can’t take it seriously then.

2. pleasant_cabbage

I despise this kind of argument.

So Farenheit didn’t have sex with lovely ladies etc etc etc with stupid Simon says levels of interaction and puzzles?

If you make a good adult themed game, market it properly and it doesn’t sell then sure, rant away, otherwise it’s a bit tripey. Show some balls and leadership rather than snidey snipes at the market.

p.s. Bewbs

3. Mike

Can David Cage stop talking now please? He’s making not want his games, which I’m sure isn’t the effect he’s trying to put across.

I’m sure he’s made more soundbites this year than anyone else.

Stop it now, Dave: we get it; PS3 is awesome, Heavy Rain is awesome, HR can only be done on PS3, PS3 is awesome, if you don’t like HR you’re not mature enough, PS3 is awesome.

WE. GET. IT.

4. Gekidami

Dont kid yourself, you werent going to get the game either way.

5. LeD

“the women have to have big boobs and be very sexy because to a teenager, this is what women are.”

That’s what women are, or should be. Full stop.

6. Blerk

But Fahrenheit had very sexy ladies with normal boobs! That’s the difference right there!

For once I think he’s right – it’d be nice to have some more ‘subtle’ characters in gaming rather than just going with the action-movie stereotypes. They are already around, but they’re definitely in the minority.

7. pleasant_cabbage

Oh it is time the industry grew up. Absolutely. It is shamefully teenage-o-centric in almost every way you can think (stories, characters, plots, language, marketing, etc).

It’s the hypocrisy and blubbing behind excuses such as the market isn’t mature enough that grind my gears. I think the market for maturer stuff is definately there (even on consoles) yet few really bother to crack it.

Build it and they will come, well *they* might, I will :)

8. Psychotext

There’s nothing more grown up than fighting the Internet.

9. Quiiick

He’s absolutely right.
    I’m so fed up with these action-movie stereotypes in games.

10. OlderGamer

Ok I can handle this one: I think.

There is a difference between a Mature Gamer and a Mature Game. I am a Mature Gamer. I do not like GTA. I will NOT buy CoD MW2 BECAUSE of the leaked Airport scene. I will buy DA:O inspite of its Sexual Content, not because of it. I often turn off gore and blood in games(example, why does Fat Princess need gallons of blood spewing from each hit?). And etc etc.
    Why?
    Because in all honesty I am not impressed with those things. They do not add one ounce of actual FUN to the game.
    Todays Mature Games load up on over the top violence, blood, sex and language. To me, thats prety imature. Its reflective of the M rated game demographic” Kids and Teens. Ever eves drop on a group of kids? It would make a marine blush. The content all too often found in games is the type of stuff that kids THINK makes them mature.
    At the time my youngest was 10, he had a friend over the house. His friend didn’t like our selection of games(I keeped M rated ones in my room at the time), he was braging that HE played GTA. If a game wasn’t M, he didn’t want to play it. He honestly thought that by playing a M rated game he was being more grown up.
    In talking with other older gamers, I often find that we aren’t the ones truly playing so many of these M rated games. No one I know that isn’t a teen plays Gears. I know one man that plays GTA(but he is 25 going on 12).
    I don’t know, I am sure a few of you would flame a post like this. But tough. I think the guy is right. Not because I like his game. I haven’t tried HR yet. But because, being older, I have seen a hell of a lot of video games evolution. I also fully understand that the bulk of games are indeed made for teenage boys. And far too often parents don’t enfource the ratings systems. Of course many game devs/pubs understand this too, and make sexy big breasted sterotypical female chars, they also make the classic “tuff guy” hereo that has said female char at his becon call. Its pretty lame really. And I think Cage is right.

11. Gheritt White

Hey, I’m all for less muscular heroes, but I’m with LeD when it comes to women (or “chicks” for short). We all know that boobs are meant to be the size of your head or larger – anything else is abnormally small.

12. Blerk

To be fair, I do like the big-boobied meat-headed stereotypey games too. :-D

13. Mike

@4: No you’re right. I’ll cut my nose off to spite my face.

14. Mike

Anyway: just read the headlines/look at the dates: http://www.vg247.com/tag/david-cage/

The man’s a machine.

15. Stephany Nunneley

@14 Wow. If I talked that much I would be told to shut my piehole and go make some dinner in something skimpy while the man ran out and sawed a bunch of zombies in half with a machine gun. :-D :-D :-D

16. mescalineeyes

It’s nice to want things, david.

17. NiceFellow

Sigh. Why so black and white?

Should we stop making games for kids and teenagers and only make games for adults? Are no more teenagers arriving on the scene?

While (as an adult who started gaming as a kid) I’m glad to see more titles aimed at adults, I very much expect and hope to see fun titles, relaxing titles and titles for all ages as well.

Anything absolute is just limiting. The battle is always for variety and risks and innovation vs everyone narrowing towards a single offering.

Anyway, looking forward to the game, still slightly cautious as Indigo Prophecy had nice ideas and lots of weak execution, but don’t buy this argument, at least as given.

I do buy its nice to see an audience for a broad range of titles emerging, from fun to mature themes (real ones, not cartoon violence and swearing clearly a’la GTA – which is actually a rather juvenile if clever with it) but please don’t give me nothing but heavy adult stuff – I want some nice shiny Ratchet and Clank or Flower as well.

18. Mike

@3 @14 That’s far more likely to be one interview broken up into many statements presented as different pieces of “news” than an individual randomly blurting out things day after day.

It’s very common for context to be removed and things to be distorted by those doing the reporting. There’s no need to distort things even more.

19. Hunam

He was pretty fucking funny at the expo, let the man do his thing.

20. Stephany Nunneley

I suppose I am immature then, because I like bloody action and RPG games where I am the hero running around like Rambo without a jock strap killing everything in my path. Granted, I am not very good at shooters, but I liked Gears 1&2, and I clicked the gratuitous blood button for more gore in Dragon Age. I also got a bit upset when it took quite a few tries to “please my women” in the button mash section of God of War 1 & 2. But I prevailed. :-D

Yes, loads of games also make women large busted – so much so that in real life they would topple over and mark their faces up – but I don’t personally feel it degrades women because it is just fantasy and nothing else (imo).

Women degrade themselves in real-life enough as it is – just look at the Girls Gone Wild videos and those “nab a has-been rock/rap/movie-star” reality dating shows as proof.

/gets off soap box and shuts up like a good girl

21. Gekidami

I fail to see where Cage says that ‘meat-head’ type games need to die and make way for ‘serious business’. Again, context is being picked up by the collar and thrown out into the gutter.

22. Psychotext

You’re my kinda guy Stephany.

…wait. :P

23. Johnny Cullen

I do agree with Mike somewhat that he is mouthing off a bit too much. He needs to take a bloody break.

Look through what we have posted on Heavy Rain for this week alone, and you’ll probably find at least one story per day on the game involving him.

THAT SAID… I do agree wtih him on wanting the industry to grow up. We do need more mature games like Fareneheit and Heavy Rain.

Although the last part of what I said can be seen as a “no shit, shirlock” comment.

24. Bojangles

I’d rather listen to the carefully de-contextualised comments of a game developer who is trying to make a game that’s a bit different, a bit experimental and a bit risky than hearing about every bodily function from a bunch of guys making yet another mainstream FPS.

25. Petulant Radish

Though I understand his sentiment, I play games as a form of escapism, I like the ridiculousness of it all, the fantasist in me revels in doing things that I would never do in real life, which people seem to equate with maturity. Mature life is not all it’s cracked up to be, why should it have to invade my interactive entertainment?

26. freedoms_stain

I never really think about this shit, but when I consider some of my favourite video games there’s a pretty wide variance in the muscle:boobies ratio.

Love HL, no muscles, normal sized boobies.

Love Gears, lotsa muscle, no (lady) boobies

Love DMC, loadsa muscle, boobies big (and in DMC4, excessively jiggly) but not back-breaking.

Final Fantasy, lady-boy heroes, tiny boobied heroines

Onimusha, average on the muscle, low and normal on the boobies.

Okami, loads of boobies, but they were all on the Wolf.

GoW, muscle head anti-hero, sex scenes.

Batman, Is muscular, only set of boobs on Harley.

I could go on.

So yeah, I think it’s clear now that massive muscles and massive tits aren’t a given.

27. MushroomStamp

I Love Boobs ( o Y o )

28. No_PUDding

I love the first comment xD