Confirmed: Leaked MW2 civilians vid is real, scene skippable through “checkpoints”

Wednesday, 28th October 2009 14:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

modernwarfare2logo

Activision has just confirmed to VG247 that a leaked Modern Warfare 2 video of civilians being gunned down in an airport is of real, skippable content from the shooter.

We’ve just been given the following statement in response to a question as to whether or not the scene is from the game. Here’s the full thing:

“Yes it is. The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player’s mission to stop them.

“Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two ‘checkpoints’ where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can’t be disabled.

“Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.”

So there you have it. Go nuts.

1. Gheritt White

Is they’d *really* wanted to push the boundaries, they’d have made him an American.

2. Santa Clause

Only two more weeks.

3. Johnny Cullen

Fair play to them for trying it.

At least it’s somewhat skippable for anyone who doesn’t want to play it.

4. Gekidami

Expect to see alot of stuff on the game from here till it comes out. I’m hearing that a shop in Paris is selling the game this saturday.

5. Matt

Interesting. And it’s still being released in Australia for now? :P

6. mescalineeyes

WELCOME TO THE REAL ZONE!

7. Gekidami

Hum, good point. Surely for this to pass in Australia the people would have to be replaced by zombies, have green blood and the bodies would have to instantly disapear. :D

8. Patrick Garratt

Rated mid-October – http://www.oflc.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/5b6ebdff7f5b9a24ca2575ca00062226/5e421768112bcde6ca25765100580273!OpenDocument

9. Gekidami

Wonder what cuts were made. CoD4 was only 15/16 in Europe and i’m pretty sure its mainly thanks to this scene that MW2 has gotten an 18.
    Surely its not atall ok with the Australian rating board.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Leaks and spoilers suck. I’m glad the video was pulled so I couldn’t watch it. Can’t wait for Nov 9th!!

11. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, now I know a part of the story even though I haven’t even watched the video, which is quite annoying.

If any more comes out, I think I’m just going to stop reading all gaming news for the next two weeks.

12. Windsmeare

I can t wait until “Beat Em & Eat Em” bursts onto Xbox Live.
    Off topic I know, but I stand strong.

13. Sethos

Awesome!

14. Patrick Garratt

You would really help me by Digging this:

And help is good. Remember that.

15. Mike

h3lpz

16. Gekidami

I dont know… I mean i dont really understand this article to begin with. Was it ever really assumed the video was fake?

17. pracer

I’d say the whole game is skippable.

18. johnjohn

ERRRRRRRR

Is IW forgetting that they actually allow YOU to shoot the civilians? And your actually playing as a CIA agent undercover with the terrorists. Why are you being encouraged to shoot them… at the start the way it move you into line with the terrorists then raises your gun. Its encouraging you the shoot them, and its disgusting.

Should not be allowed. I can imagine sick people getting satisfation out of it. And I’ve seen countless sick comments on forums such as

” Anyway, whats the difference between shooting people with guns and shooting people without ”

War and Terrorism are too different things. You shouldnt be allowed in a game to act like a terrorist murdering people in an airport.

How can they say its meant to make you hate the terrorists more if your the one shooting them. Fucking stupid publicity stunt. The games going to be shit. A minor change from COD4 with extra gimmicks and important gameplay elements taken away which they will charge for in DLC.

19. Gekidami

“How can they say its meant to make you hate the terrorists more if your the one shooting them.”

You know, far as i can see its the guys with you who are doing all the shooting and killing up intill the cops show up. Its up to the player weather he/she wants to shoot civilians or not.

20. pracer

johnjohn your very VERY right.

21. El_MUERkO

Dugg

22. XDamage

I saw the video just now, and just thought “hmm, whats so spoiling about this vid…oh”. :D

But meh, MW2 is not on the top of my list this year. I’m probably one of the last people in the world who hasn’t pre-ordered it. If someone spoiled Assassin’s Creed 2 like that for me though I would probably go ballistic.

23. No_PUDding

Can you link it XDamage? I didn’t see it.

24. TJ

@johnjohn

What about freedom of speech mate? I can’t imagine IW is going to do a great job of pitching this in anything like a moral fashion, but all the same it’s important the other side of the argument can legally be represented. Should we stop people portraying murder, rape, or theft in an interactive environment as well? Or is it just terrorism that bothers you? If so, why?

25. pracer

“I don’t agree with a word you have said, but will die to defend your right to say it”

Thats a quote from an American founding father.

It completly doesn’t apply to this situation. It isn’t always about the msg, but instead it is about the venue it is delivered. You can have freaky sex if you like, but you can’t do it in a public forum. Lest you get caught :P Walking into a church and droping F-bombs is not going to be cool. You get the idea. There is a time and place for everything. Plus.
    You have to consider things like public opinion. Not just some core gamers reaction(which I can tell you has not all been favorable). How your game will be recieved by the masses is important. Yes some people will jump on this game as an example of why violent games should be censored/restricted. And with the imigary the game uses, it is hard to agrue.See, its like this. COD represents Acti, Acti represents the game industry. If CoD gets bad press, and it is, that is bad for Acti, they are publicly owened. That bad press can tarnis there public image and that in return can hurt there sales. And THAT catches the eye of ACTI shareholders. Its all connected. On top of that the game industry didn’t need this kind of publicity. The NEW YORK TIMES was picking this up last night before I went to bed. The story they run will not be pretty. Why? Because they know that a game like this is gonna create an outrage. And that outrage will fuel sales of said newspaper. Conected.
    In the end it isn’t about free speach. Honestly what do you think IW/ACTI/CoD is trying to say? Anything? Nope. They are trying to sell a video game. They are trying to make money. Telling the story in the fashion that they have chosen will offend and shock many people. And that procces will give ACTI and the Video games industry in general a black eye. I think IW made some poor choices and I think they should address them quickly and change them quickly. You can still tell the same story, without the killing of civilians.
    This has NOTHING to do with free speach.

26. pracer

@TJ

” Or is it just terrorism that bothers you? If so, why?”

I live in New York. Would you like me to take a stab at that one?

27. freedoms_stain

How is this any different from levelling Megaton in FO3 or taking a walk through Rivet City with a fatman and a healthy supply of mininukes and going to town?

Was there a furore about that? I don’t recall.

28. yumkaax

@pracer

lol you crazy gringos think every quote comes from a “American founding father”.

The phrase you quoted is from Voltaire, a french writter and ideologist of the French Revolution.

“Je ne suis pas d’accord avec un mot de ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu’à la mort pour votre droit de le dire”.

———–

HURR DURR TERRORISTS MADE 9/11 BECAUSE THEY HATE MY FREEDOM DERP!!!…

———–

Please americunts, read a book and stop bitching because a videogame depicts weapons and killing.
    And just for you to learn something about your history and AMERICAN TERRORISM:

Torture:
    *http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/21/guantanamo.humanrights
    *http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/03/guantanamo.usa
    *http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18414
    *http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/MDE14/001/2006
    *http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2005/05/20/afghanistan-killing-and-torture-us-predate-abu-ghraib

Terrorism:
    *http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2002/US-Peaceful-Nation.htm
    *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Guatemala
    *http://www.pww.org/past-weeks-2000/CIA%27s%20terrorism%20exposed.htm
    *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Pigs_Invasion

Civil Murder:
    *http://www.hrw.org/en/node/69223
    *http://ww4report.com/node/7668
    *http://www.wintersoldier.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Swett_CID
    *http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

Do your homework, rednecks.

29. Psychotext

O_o

30. Johnny Cullen

*joins in*

O_O

31. yumkaax

inb4 flamewarz.

32. pracer

How can you take the deaths of 5000plus people so lightly?

And in todays world … you can not honestly believe that something like the scenes in CoD MW2 aren’t going to effect people. I am an American. A person, just like you. I am goverened by laws that I can not change. On a personial level I have done NOTHING. I can tell you this. My grandfather and relitives fought in Euro along side Brits, and others to fight back against the Nazis. We have mass cemitaries in our country where dead bodies lay who died fighting to help liberate Europe. We lead the Nomandy invasion. We died in north Africa and across France, up into italy, and straight into Germany.

I don’t need to defend myself to you or to anyone, esp on a video game website.

All of those links you have, good for you. Where does it say that I was involved? We does it say I did those things?

But those attacks were in my backyard. People I knew where there. It was a nightmare. I never voted for Bush. That is one broad generelzation don’t you think? No I guess you prolly don’t.

For the record, I was wrong about the quote. Your right. I was under the assumption that Thomas Paine said that. He might very well have said it, but he was quoting someone else at the time.

Your response was filled with hate. It makes me very sad. I just don’t understand. I have chated with and debated with many here. I don’t think I have ever swore at or put down so visciously anyone. At least I try hard not to. That is why I took so long to respond to your attack. I think I am done here. I don’t think this is a place I want to be.

33. Scyrenn

“How can you take the deaths of 5000plus people so lightly?”

Look, I’m sorry, you’re obviously already upset, and I really don’t want to make you even sadder, but every time I read something like that I just have to think: there’s 6 billion people in this world. Six. Billion.

Which, you know, is basically killing the very planet itself, isn’t it? Which makes me sad…

I don’t like this topic, I’m gonna stfu now…

I mean I’m not even particularly interested in FPSes ffs…

34. Gheritt White

Don’t leave, Pracer! Yumkaax is clearly just some cunty keyboard warrior with a monolithic, monochrome world-view.

I didn’t want to weigh in on this topic because it’s quite a thorny one, but even though I completely disagree with censorship on all levels I do think this particular sequence was simply too much. As Johnjohn said, the game *encourages* you to shoot unarmed bystanders – it goes much farther than GTA in that regard.

Furthermore, the game *rewards* you for this activity in the form of level progression! Okay, this section might be skippable and you can choose to not fire your gun (even if you aren’t encouraged to), but if you do so you are are denied gameplay content with no restitution, so effectively you’re punished for *not* doing it. Why Infinity Ward chose that particular design decision is beyond me. I honmestly think it’s a little irresponsible.

We don’t have the full context in which this section takes place just yet, and perhaps that will go some way to mitigate the concern over the action here – such was the case with Manhunt. However, as it stands this type of thing does turn my stomach – but then again, I wasn’t going to buy this game anyway.

Lastly, for those who say this is nothing we haven’t seen in the movies – when was the last time you saw *the protagonist* of a feature film casually open fire on crowds of unarmed bystanders? In an airport, no less?

35. XDamage

@No_PUDing and anyone else who wants to see the clip in question: Go to http://www.isohunt.com and search for “modern warfare 2 leaked”. It is the first hit you want, the one called “Demonstrations, modern warfare 2 leaked single player.avi”.

I think torrent is the only way to see the clip now, but if someone knows of any sites still hosting it, post it here.
    And yeah, there is a bit of spoiling going on in it. ;)

36. TJ

@pracer

So we know why terrorism bothers you in particular, but is that a rational reason to react against terrorism in particular? No.

If I’m robbed in the street, there’s every reason for me to worry about robbery more than terrorism. But it’s not a good reason for me to publically pitch it as in some way worse than terrorism.

Free speech is free speech, and morals are morals. Whether 5,000 people get blown up in your backyard or 5,000 miles away shouldn’t affect what you think is right.

Personally, I don’t like anyone to tell me what topics I can and cannot broach in my art.

37. The Hindle

Woah strong conversation here people, lets keep it to the games cause thats what MW2 is just a game.

38. The Hindle

And to the guy who said people are entitled to free speech, you will be amazed how many people get called names and bullied if they say they vote BNP in England. So yea free speech is just a facade.

39. freedoms_stain

voting BNP is synonymous with racism and bigotry in the UK, if you come out and say you’re a racist and a bigot you’ll probably be called a racist and a bigot.