SCEE: PSPgo has “performed in line with our expectations”

Monday, 5th October 2009 14:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

pspgo6

SCEE has said in a statement to GI that sales of the PSPgo have performed in line with their “expectations”, with sales of up 100% for PSP hardware since the Go launched on Thursday.

“PSPgo has performed in line with our expectations, driving 100 per cent incremental volume for the category and has benefited the broad PSP portfolio with PSP-3000 also enjoying a big lift.

“PSP software sales also having been a standout with both new releases GT PSP and FIFA 10 performing well,” said SCEE in a statement.

However, Chart-Track are refusing to confirm if that is indeed correct as they have said they will not reveal any information on sales for the Go.

More through the link.

1. Razor

It won’t last…

2. Syrok

That reads like the sales of the PSPgo were up 100%, which wouldn’t really be a great surprise. ^.^

3. Psychotext

“driving 100 per cent incremental volume for the category”

What the hell does that mean? I’ve read some non specific PR in my time but that takes the biscuit.

4. Bulk Slash

Yeah, it almost sounds like Sony are claiming a 100% sales increase based on the fact that no-one was buying their unreleased machine the week before…

5. Blerk

Interesting that PSP-3000 sales have gone up as well. Almost as if, perhaps, the shops were recommending them instead of the new model when people come in to ask. Perish the thought. :-D

6. OrphanageExplosion

The screen is bloody awful on the PSP-3000… so happy I bought the PSP-2000. Seriously, I played Gran Turismo on the 3000 and the interlacing was horrible.

7. Blerk

Isn’t there supposed to be a PSP-4000 on the way? I’m sure I heard someone rumouring that a couple of weeks back.

8. JonFE

I’ve got the feeling that, by releasing the PSPgo, Sony are actually testing the waters of a UMD-less PSP, without taking the full risk of launching a new PSP2 handheld.

In other words, they are checking to see how would the market react to a downloads-only console, without spending huge amounts of money on R&D. So, they may well be prepared to expect low sales initially. After all, they *did* stick with the PSP even though it seemed like a lost cause to a lot of observers.

Time will tell whether this gamble will pay off…

9. Johnny Cullen