Italian setting will help Ass Creed II pass original’s 9 million sales

Tuesday, 25th August 2009 11:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

assassinscreed29

Assassin’s Creed II will beat the original game’s 9 million sales, dev boss Patrice Desilets told us at GamesCom last week, thanks to its setting and sequel status.

“Why? Because of Italy,” he said. “Italy has something, really. I’ve met a bunch of people, and Italy has something. Italy is one of the most visited places in the world, and there’s a reason for that.

“Being able to visit Florence, or visit Venice and Tuscany, is something that people will be attracted by.”

The “II” at the end of the game’s title will help seal the deal, Desilets added.

“And it’s a sequel, and [there's been] good press on it, so I think we’re going to outsell [the original],” he said.

It’s not all serious business, though.

“My producer and I were joking that we’re going to sell, like, 725 million copies of it,” Desilets said.

Everyone needs a goal. The game looks properly awesome. You will buy it on November 20.

1. freedoms_stain

“You will buy it on November 20.”

Yes I will.

In 2010, possibly 2011

:D

2. Phoenixblight

Or put it on my gamefly list. Not wasting another red cent on a AC title. You left a bad taste in my mouth from the first one.

3. Patrick Garratt

I was really impressed with what I saw in Germany. Looks like a lot of fun to me. I didn’t get to play it, though.

4. Freek

They’ve got allot of work to do though, AC1 left a very bad taste in the mouth of allot of people.
    Sure, this one is looking allot better but they have to convince gamers of that fact.

5. SticKboy

AC2 is the only game I have pre-ordered for Xmas.

The original AC remains among my top 5 games of this gen, a truly phenomenal, unforgettable experience that was so good I 100%’d it *twice*. So, it just goes to show that it didn’t leave a bitter taste in everybody’s mouth.

As far as I’m concerned, Ubisoft Montreal can do no wrong and have the best track record of any developer aside from Blizzard and Valve.

6. Captain Fruitloop

Yeah, I’m sitting well back on the fence until I see that this one isn’t the same small number of tasks repeated over and over again.

7. Phoenixblight

THe missions were horrible the combat was absolutely horrible I could press one button and take down 20 guys with no prob, WTH is with that. It was an underdeveloped medieval GTA…

8. freedoms_stain

SticKboy must get a massive hard-on every time he passes a flag.

It’s the only feasible explanation I can come up with for his comment.

9. SticKboy

Nothing has approached the grace of combat or fluidity of movement I so enjoyed in AC. Plus, it had a stellar plot with not one but *two* awesome twists.

I also adored the old-school adventure game-esque sequences set in the future with Desmond. Realising I could hack the computer to uncover hidden story points with barely any pointers from the game was superb, IMHO.

Btw, I should also mention that I’m a medieval history buff and love anything that deconstructs theology (aside from Dan Brown’s stuff), so even AC’s premise is right up my alley.

10. rrod360lol

Not having a frankly shit ps3 version this time would help a lot too… I ain’t touching it with a bargepole until digital foundary have taken it to bits.

11. freedoms_stain

SticK, what you describe as “fluid” I describe as “cutscene” which is largely what AC combat consisted of.

12. Retroid

Despite its faults I really, really enjoyed the first one. Pre-ordering this :)

13. SticKboy

That’s why I said fluid in the context of movement, not combat. When you have 30 – 40 anims just for getting on and of a horse, that’s the very definition of fluid.

The hardest thing to achieve in terms of interactive animation is going from at rest to in motion, and from in motion to changing direction. AC nailed both of these better than any game released before or since.

14. Jadeskye

A shame that despite all that animation it was a very short game. or rather, the same short game 9 times in a row.

15. SticKboy

Bah… you guys have no appreciation of its plot. Anyway, there was more than enough emergent play just discovering speed runs through the three cities, IMHO.

16. Egon Superb

Classic Viz Up-The-Bum moment in the screenshot anyway.

Yes, I have the mentality of a 7 year-old. What of it?

17. Patrick Garratt