Rockstar: We’ve made a full game in The Lost and Damned

Monday, 16th February 2009 08:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaivtlada3

Rockstar dev boss Jeronimo Barrera has confirmed that GTA IV DLC The Lost and Damned – releasing tomorrow – is at the limit of Live’s file-size restriction, and should be considered a full game.

“There’s nothing ever been out like it,” Barrera told Major Nelson in the first section of a two-part audio interview.

“We’ve done a full game in my opinion, in terms of the production quality and the new gameplay mechanics.

“We’ve literally reached the maximum memory size that we can do for DLC with Microsoft.

“You’re going to get a lot of game.”

Barrera, however, refused to put a play-time estimate on the content, saying only that players can expect “hours and hours and hours” of bang for their buck.

The exec also took the opportunity to snipe at other premium DLC, saying Rockstar had pushed the concept further than anything else yet available.

“That’s not to say there hasn’t been good downloadable content: obviously, there has been, but I find a lot of the time the stuff you can download to be more of an appendage to a game in terms of, you know, a new area opens up, or you can travel to another island, or something like that,” he said.

“You know, it’s cool, and it keep fans coming back, but [there's] nothing that’s crossed story arcs and that’s what we’re trying to do, to push this, to deliver… a new experience, and I think we’ve hit it right out of the ballpark.”

The full thing’s through the link. Well worth a listen.

1. Johnny Cullen

I really cant wait for this tomorrow, it really really should be good.

My first real gaming purchase of 2009.

2. Blerk

He’s potentially being quite cheeky about other DLC there, I hope he’s actually right. Mostly because I kind of agree.

3. Johnny Cullen

BTW, did anyone whos on Steam get an email from them saying a free 5 day trial of GTA IV for the PC?

“Dear Steam user,
    This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration to inform its clients that the free 5 days trial period of Grand Theft Auto IV is now available.”

4. Patrick Garratt

Still doesn’t alter the fact that it’s all for nothing if you didn’t get on with the core game, really.

5. Patrick Garratt

Ooooh, ta.

6. Johnny Cullen

:D

I’d use it but…

1 – I am in Dublin right now and not at home in Derry.
    2 – My computer wouldnt run it for shit :D

7. Hero of Canton

The other thing to remember is that it’s costing twice as much as most premium DLC and Rockstar’s had ages to complete it. Most other games wouldn’t benefit from leaving it a year before releasing DLC because they’d be forgotten about, whereas there’s going to be a pretty substantial audience ready for this.

8. Johnny Cullen

Bah, bloody moderation.

All the time :(

9. El_MUERkO

this is out tomorrow?! i should pay more attention :D

excellent, i shall play this quick smart before Dawn of War 2 is released

10. trav

@Hero

That and MS paid a far amount of money towards the development of this DLC and to get it 360 only as well.

11. Hunam

I wonder if he has played shivering isle :P

12. No_PUDding

Look forward to impressiosn since I am unfortuntely not getting near it :D

Gotta admit I am very interested in it. I know fundamentally it’s more missions, but there’s also new vehicles and weapons which is awesome.

I don’t see how it can be better than the full game though, in terms of writing. And that I’ll say right here, was where the problem was.

13. Yoshi

They are very clever in so many ways, becos for 1 they are sellin it in stores which makes so many more people buy it =P
    CLEVER THE SNEAKY B4$^4|2Ds =P

14. ashers2ashers

They’re selling it in stores? If that’s the case then I assume it will be available on sites such as play.com, so if I wait it will be available discounted at a later date (although I wouldn’t be too surprised if MS made it cheaper in the future too).

I got GTA IV with my in August but have never played it more than once, so haven’t given it much of a chance although seem to agree with the consensus of everyone else of the game definitely not being a ’10′ whatever that actually means.

15. Blerk

It’s not in stores as you’d expect. They’re selling GTA:TLATD flavoured points cards. You get the box and the shelf-space presence, but you still have to download the expansive from Live at the end of the day.

16. No_PUDding

It’s actually an insanely clever tactic from Microsoft’s standpoint. great way to get people to sign up to the internet.

Unless they all make the (correct) assumption it’s more missions, in which case most people never complete the game.

17. Blerk