Saint’s Row 2 has sold 2.6 million to date

Thursday, 5th February 2009 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

saints row 2

For every cloud, a silver lining. Saints Row 2 has sold 2.6 million units since the game’s October release, Edge reports, bringing a touch of warmth to some otherwise awful THQ financial results yesterday.

Other glimmers from THQ’s 2008 included WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, which has shipped over 4 million units, Big Beach Sports at 1.2 million, and de Blob at 700,000.

According to CEO Brian Farrell: “Established franchises like Saints Row and WWE SmackDown vs. Raw, as well as new franchises such as de Blob and Big Beach Sports for the Nintendo Wii, give us confidence in our strategy going forward.”

Nice, but cold comfort considering financial losses will result in 600 employees being sacked.

For every silver lining, a cloud.

1. Gekidami

Saints Row 2 is quite a decent game, i had alot of fun playing it.

2. evilashchris

It’s brilliant tongue in cheek madness, I love it to bits.

3. tont

Thank god. Saints Row 2 was one of my favourite games of 2008, and certainly the one that gave me the most laughs (by a huge margin). Dare I say it… it made GTA IV look shallow, empty, pretentious and painfully lacking.

4. crippledhooba

I guess this genre has been split down the middle. Some people love Saints Rows funny and do anything attitude, and others prefer GTA IV’s realistic feel. I for one didn’t really like saints row 2 and preferred GTA IV. I personally really enjoyed the storyline in this GTA as I also like the storylines in the other GTA’s.

5. Josh K.

They shipped 2.6 million and sold over $100 million worth of units. From the 3rd quarter transcript:

“Today we have shifted more than 2.6 million units of Saints Row 2 posting sales in excess of $100 million on this title.”