Bethesda pencils in new Elder Scrolls title for 2010

Wednesday, 29th October 2008 16:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

oblivion.jpg

Bethesda’s said it’s likely to publish a new Elder Scrolls game in 2010.

“At the moment we’ve got Fallout 3 for this year and potentially there’s a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010,” said Bethesda publishing executive Paul Oughton.

“At the moment we’re not that interested in the Wii. We’re going to stick to PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. We’ll continue to pursue three or four titles a year and go for big titles,” he said of the company’s publishing plans for the future.

The news will delight RPG fans hankering for an even nexter-genner Oblivion. Hopefully it’ll be set in stone soon.

More on GI.

1. Johnny Cullen

Yay!

Oblivion 5 in 10, Fallout 4 in 11!

2. Esha

I wonder if they’ll have mod SDKs? Will Bethesda make the extra step and allow for transferrable resources within their games, too? Could this lead to a Fallout x Elder Scrolls crossover?

Donnovan Septim is The Wasteland Avenger: Out to bring Roman-oriented order to a World gone terribly wrong.

3. David

I wouldn’t want a crossover they are 2 different worlds. I would love to see a coop mode in this :) open world + a friend to journey with you through it.

4. Esha

Agreed, I feel as though co-op would really help Beth’s games anyway. They do have great plot-writers and environment designers, so there’s usually a bit to chuckle at and poke. In that kind of environment, co-op is usually at its best. Proof is seen of this with Fable II, as Fable shares a number of commonalities with Oblivion.

So co-op would work really well.

As for the crossover, it was just a bit of a fun really. But taking a medieval character and placing them in modern times is always good for a laugh. One might think that taking a fantasy character and putting them in a post-apocalyptic setting would be a bit of a jape, too.

5. Smartypants

Argh god no, please no co-op. The Elder Scrolls have been dumbed down enough as it is, no need to sink even lower.

6. David

Smartypants how does adding coop make a game dumb down. :/ I really don’t see how you can say oblivion is dumbed down. There is nothing in oblivion that wasn’t in morrowind. It was just streamlined. The only gripe I have of it is the quick travel ruined the experience nothing more.

7. Smartypants

@David: the whole world (even items) levelling with you, zero requirements to raise your rank in guilds (“can’t even cast a basic fireball? No problem! Just finish this quest using nothing but your axe and we’ll make you grandmaster of the mages guild anyway!”), skills and equipment pieces/options removed, a big ass compass pointing where you need to go as if you were playing Crazy Taxi instead of exploring, the wannabe Lord of the Rings setting to appeal to a wider audience, the fast-travel anywhere no need to walk design, hardly any dialogue compared to earlier games, next to no lore compared to earlier games….

I’ve probably missed a few things, but yeah I would call that dumbed down. There’s stuff like Saints Row 2 for sandbox co-op and WoW for MMO play. No need to dumb down The Elder Scrolls series even further.

8. David

Sorry but I’m going to have to disagree with you oblivion wasn’t perfect but in no way was it dumbed down. I don’t miss all the clutter that was in morrowind. Too many menu’s spending 5 hours wandering around trying the right door to a mine. Like I said I didn’t like the quick travel either but o.O hardly as much dialogue as the last. The last one was just text no voice at all so your wrong there. As for lore who actually sat down and read those books in morrowind ? I know I didn’t and it never spoiled my experience of the game.

I think a lot of clutter was removed nothing more. Menu systems were slip streamed. I will agree on the requirements in regards to guilds.

Coop would not dumb it down in my opinion. Being able to explore and do quests with a friend would add something to the game. If possible I would welcome it.

9. mortiferus

Elder Scrolls 5, Fallout 4…. Elder Scrolls Online!!!

10. Smartypants

I loved wandering around 5 hours trying to find a mine! Proper exploration instead of just “LOL follow teh arrowz!”

At least we agree on fast travel and the guild requirements. You didn’t say anything about the the whole ‘everything (literally everything) levels up with the player’. That meant there were zero no-go areas that you could look forward to being able to explore later on, or that there was no use at all in trying play as a thief because even the richest guy in town would only have an onion and a spoon locked away in his treasure chest if you was at a lower level. There are tons of examples I could give about the stupid consequences of the world levelling system, suffice to say that it completely destroyed any immersion for me.

IMO, there’s a difference between player-friendliness and blatant hand-holding. Oblivion is the latter category for me, and I really hope that Bethesda listens to at least some of the criticisms from the fans. Judging by Fallout 3 they have, so there’s hope for ES5 yet.

11. David

I think they still haven’t gotten the levelling right. From my experience with Morrowind and oblivion if you levelled your skills too fast everything around you became stupidly hard. Worse if you stuck it on the highest difficulty.

There is definitely room for improvement I just hope to god there is no quick travel in the next one.

12. Esha

Hmm… I don’t think that I agree.

Neverwinter Nights had co-op play and that was as complicated as an RPG can be, every bit as much as Baldur’s Gate. There were modules that worked wonderfully with a party of people co-operating together, especially if one chose one’s friends carefully. It could lead to some amazingly memorable experiences.

And if anyone can say that NWN has been dumbed down with a straight face, then I’d say it’s time for them to take a trip to the nearest loony bin. Either that or they’re talking via the wrong bloody orifice. :p

So, no. Co-op ~= Dumbing down, and Co-op ~= MMO gameplay (multiplayer ~= massively multiplayer). Doesn’t now, hasn’t ever. And NWN is pure proof of this. I see that Smartypants quickly segued into a different topic there instead of covering why co-op would actually dumb down the game, too. Yes, Oblivion has been streamlined and made easier to play for the console audience, yes, this will continue to happen, and no, having co-op in there would have zero impact on this.