After teasing Dirt 4 as far back as 2014, Codemasters has finally announced the next installment in the series, and it will be released in June.
Players will once again take things off-road in Dirt 4, and truck and buggy racing is back in Landrush. Open events in Joyride return.
A feature new to the series is Your Stage: a rally route creation tool which allows the player to “produce a near infinite number” of unique stages with a button touch. They will choose the location, set the route parameters, and Your Stage does the rest.
These stages can be long, technical routes, or short and simple. Once created, the stages can be shared and friends can be challenged to beat the player’s course time.
Here’s a list of key featured:
- Over 50 Off-Road Cars – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
- Five Rally Locations with Millions of Routes – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden and Wales
- Official Game of FIA WorldRayycross Championship – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac Bretagne, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series
- Landrush – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
- Joyride – Laptime challenges, smash challenges, free-play area and send challenges to friends
- Dirt Academy – Taking place at the DirtFish Rally School in Washington, USA, learn the skills, techniques and practice to become the best
- Career Mode – create your driver, compete across the disciplines, gain sponsors and build your team with clear goals and rewards
- Competitive – Daily, weekly and month-long challenges against fellow players from around the world
- Next Generation of Racenet – Live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform leaderboards, enhanced CREST telemetry system
- Tuning– Tweak your set-up based on vehicle, track and weather conditions to best suit your racing style
- Damage and Repairs– Wear and tear is faithfully recreated with an improved and realistic damage model. Damage can be repaired by hiring Engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages but with a finite amount of time available.
The previous numbered game in the series, Dirt 3, was released in 2011 and was followed by the Complete Edition featuring all tracks and extra content in 2012. In 2015, Codemasters released Dirt Rally on PC and the console release followed in April 2016.
Dirt 4 will be released on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One June 9. You can pre-order it now through Steam.
Expect more information between now and release.