SMG, marksman rifles and special ammo nerfed; but weapon talents can now be rerolled. The Division’s first paid DLC shakes up your entire arsenal.
The Division 1.3 update: all the big weapon changes coming with Underground DLC
The way you use weapons in The Division will change completely from tomorrow, June 28, with the release of update 1.3, Underground.
According to stats from developer Massive, players are not using a variety of weapons, instead opting for a simple combo of SMG and Marksman rifle. Specifically, the AUG/Vector SMG and the M1A marksman.
It’s clear from the table below that this combo is working well for players. SMGs have the highest DPS at close range and marksman rifles have the power at long range. Assault rifles have a particularly devastating headshot damage, but elsewhere LMGs and shotguns have been getting no love. It’s also partly to do with the fact that blueprints for ther AUG, Vector and MP5 SMGs can be found in the Dark Zone and built from scratch easily for a majority of players.
But with the 1.3 Underground update all that changes. Here are the headline nerfs and buffs:
- All weapon families (SMG, Marksman Rifle, Assault Rifle, LMG & Shotgun) will now have a unique bonus.
- Shotguns across the board will do more damage.
- AUG and Vector damage is being reduced.
- The M1A is getting some “adjustments”.
- New weapons arrive with the 1.3 Underground update.
- You will now be able to reroll talents on weapons, just like on gear.
- Special ammo is being nerfed.
Those are the headline changes, so let’s take a look at them in detail:
New weapon bonuses
Previously only SMGs and marksman rifles had bonuses. This changes now:
- Shotguns get two buffs. Firstly they will increase base damage up to 30 percent, in line with the weapon level. Secondly, they have a bonus chance to stagger NPCs. However, this doesn’t affect hits on other players.
- As the point of the LMG is to suppress enemies and keep them contained, LMGs will do more damage to enemies out of cover, an increase of 25 percent.
- Assault rifles will now do more damage to enemy armour.
- SMGs will now have a critical hit damage bonus rather than a critical hit chance. You’ll need to adjust your gear significantly to make this work for you.
Vector, AUG and M1A nerfed
- The damage done by the AUG and Vector SMGs will be decreased by 10 percent.
- If you consistently fire the M1A the crosshair will increase in size. Slow down and it will remain small for pinpoint accuracy.
Four new weapons
Update 1.3 introduces four new weapons to The Division.
- Showstopper: This named shotgun has better accuracy the fewer rounds it has in its clip.
- G36: A new assault rifle with the Focused talent. When you have no skills on cooldown damage is increased.
- SVD: This marksman rifle comes with the Decisive talent. Killing a target makes your next shot an automatic critical.
- PP-19: This SMG boasts the Hurried talent. Each critical hit speeds up your next reload time.
How to reroll weapon talents, and what is Weapon Kit?
The 1.3 Underground update introduces a new currency: Weapon Kit. This, alongside some Phoenix Credits, is used to reroll one of three weapons talents. Head to the Recalibration Desk and reroll your talent in the same way you currently do for gear.
Special ammo nerfed
- Incendiary bullets will now only last for three seconds, down significantly from ten seconds. They still burn enemies for a longer duration than incendiary grenades though.
- Burst damage from explosive bullets has been reduced.