Total War: Warhammer fans get a bunch of new stuff this week – even if they don’t pick up the latest paid content.
Total War: Warhammner‘s first major DLC, Call of the Beastmen, releases on Thursday – but everyone gets some new stuff thanks to the accompanying free content update.
Here’s the rundown of free content coming in Total War: Warhammer Update 2:
- A new hero and mount
- An entirely new AI-controlled Race as opposition
- New multiplayer features
- New multiplayer and custom maps
- Unlockable Lord for MP/Custom battles
The new hero is the Amber Wizard, an Empire unit capable of using Lord of Beasts – the only non Beastmen unit that can do so. It’s also the only unit that can ride the new Amber Griffon mount.
The Lore of Beasts allows Beastmen and Empire players to use spells such as:
- Wyssan’s Wildform: This relatively low-cost spell buffs your allies for 14 seconds with 22% Weapon Damage and +15 Armour.
- Flock of Doom: This brings forth a swarm of crows to pick at the foe’s eyes. This painful experience causes direct damage to all targets in the area for 7 seonds, with a 30m range. It is great against groups of combatants.
- Pann’s Impenetrable Pelt: This offers a 22% Damage Resistance buff along with a 24% increase to speed for the allies you cast it on. It lasts for a decent 50 seconds, so is good for multiple charges or a sustained fight.
- The Amber Spear: This sounds a gnarled horn and releases a magic missile at the enemy, which causes armour piercing damage, is effective at all ranges and offers excellent penetration.
The new enemy faction is, of course, the Beastmen – playable if you own the DLC. To account for a new faction there’ll be a multiplayer rebalance, but multiplayer will also see a stack of unrelated updates, including the ability to customise their Lords and Heroes and four new maps. Also, Sarthorael the Everwatcher, Lord of Change and Greater Daemon of Tzeentch will be made unlockable via an achievement in the Grand Campaign.
For more information on all of these, as well as some screenshots, visit the Total War Wiki.