Find Calcified Fragments by exploring the Dreadnaught, and you too can rock Touch of Malice.
Calcified Fragments locations guide
Want Touch of Malice, the exotic scout rifle? You’ll need Calcified Fragments. Find one of these on the Dreadnaught and Eris Morn will suggest you collect a few more. Manage to gather 50 – five for her first quest and 45 thereafter – and you’ll score the gun of your dreams.
To collect Calcified Fragments you’ll need access to Patrol on the Dreadnaught as well as a handful of missions, and eventually you’ll need to venture into the Raid. We’ve organised the fragments by location, mission and activity below. Remember you can call up Ghost at any time to find the name of your current zone.
Fragments glow an eerie blue, which makes them pretty easy to spot if you’re in the right place. If you want to check which fragments you have, browse your Grimoire – we’ve included Bungie’s Roman numeral designations .
This is the Patrol starting location.
- Fragment V: From the Patrol spawn, head towards Mausoleum through the arch to the right of the crashed Skyburner ship. Watch for a flashing light on the left, then look for a grate to one side of it.
- Fragment VI: From the Patrol spawn, head towards the path to Mausoleum. Before entering the tunnel follow the path to the right and look for a set of green crates against a wall. There’s a doorway to the right of the boxes; enter and immediately move left to find a small tunnel. Crouch to pass through. Continue through the next tunnel, then take the first left; it’s hard to see, but just swing around the crystal. You’ll reach a room with some worms and the chest of Eir. Keep left until you reach a new room. The fragment is at the base of a pillar on the far side.
- Fragment VII: From the Patrol spawn, move forward and left, dropping down to the lower area punctuated by broken beams. Look for a door leading under the spawn point; on the eft side you’ll see a bright light. Push close to it and slightly left to spot the Fragment tucked away.
- Fragment VIII: Right by the Patrol spawn, on the right, is a series of broken platforms. Climb to the top by leaping from shelf to shelf; the fragment is on the penultimate layer, on the opposite side to the spawn point.
- Fragment IX: Visit the downed Skyburners ship and look for the two docking support legs. Each has a pile of debris almost directly in front of it. The pile on the right, with the spawn point at your back, holds a Fragment.
Take the tunnel to the right of the crashed ship in Hull Breach to reach Mausoleum.
- Fragment I: Entering from Hull Breach, follow the right hand path until you’re quite close to the end of the area – the bright beam of light is the direction you’re aiming for. Explore to the right to find a circular platform, and use Ghost to locate an invisible platform. Jump across and search the wall on the right of the opposite platform. The chest of the Spawn is here, by the way.
- Fragment II: Entering from Hull Breach, cross to the other side of the zone sticking to the left wall. When you reach a series of doorways, take the third one. Continue through the small room line with orange glowing structures and into the larger room passage beyond. Turn left and then look for another glowing orange structure directly ahead and to the left of a bright light; the Fragment is behind it. Jump to squeeze past the tank.
- Calcified Fragment III: Entering from Hull Breach, cross to the other side of the zone sticking to the left wall. When you reach a series of doorways, take the second one. Turn left immediately and crouch to enter the passage beyond; look up and left for a shelf you can jump up to to grab another Fragment hidden behind the crystals on the right.
- Calcified Fragment IV: Entering from Hull Breach, hug the left wall ackisekt and look for a long piece of red metal (or whatever). You can see the Fragment at the top if you uck under the beam and look at it from the other side.
Although all these Fragments are technically in the Trenchways, they’re most easily accessed from Mausoleum and gathere din a single run. Take the tunnel to the right of the crashed ship in Hull Breach to reach Mausoleum.
- Fragment XXI: Entering Mausoleum from Hull Breach, stick to the left path and take the door closest to the beam of light. Inside, take the hall to the right and spot the Fragment behind the metal grate at the end of the path. Continue from here for Fragment 22.
- Fragment XXII: Follow the path to Fragment 21, then turn around and take the first right. Climb onto the only horizontal structure you can see from this passage, then scan the side of the room you just came from to spot the Fragment above you. Jump up using the platforms to reach it. Continue through Fragment 23 while you’re here.
- Fragment XXIII: after grabbing Fragment 22, take the main path through the Founts until you reach a hole in the floor. Drop down and run forward, turning right to follow the shape of the room, then straight on till you spot a crawl tunnel (crack). Don’t go through; instead take the very narrow path behind the structures just to the left of the crack. The Fragment is inside the crate thing closest to the far wall; you have to shoot it to expose the Fragment, which is frankly a dirty trick, Bungie.
Hall of Souls
Turn right from the Patrol spawn and move forward through a tunnel to reach Hall of Souls. As this area is difficult to navigate, we’ve elected to use a landmark: the Court of Oryx, an arena with a poisoned floor when no boss battle is underway. You can reach it quickly from the Hull Breach entrance by jumping between platforms in the area with no floor. Cross the poisoned ground in a series of jumps and turn to look out at the arena; our directions start from this point.
- Fragment X: Looking out over Court of Oryx, run forward across the poisoned floor and hang a right, immediately jumping to the platform on the right and then onto a second, higher platform. Turn left through a doorway and then crouch to pass through a tunnel. Continue on through the next tunnel, then take the first left. The Fragment is just past this turn, behind some crystals on the right.
- Calcified Fragment XI: Looking out over Court of Oryx, turn around and head back behind you into the ritual room. Take the leftmost exit and continue onto a deep drop, using Ghost to spot a platform up to the right. Climb across, following the invisible bridge, and search near the panel on the left wall to find the Fragment.
- Calcified Fragment XII: Looking out over Court of Oryx, turn around and head back behind you into the ritual room. Take the rightmost exit, continuing along the path curving to the right until you reach a room with square columns. Climb the columns across the room by jumping from one to another, and search the walls around you as you do, hopefully spotting the small opening with the Fragment shining away at you. Jump in when you’re close enough.
- Calcified Fragment XIII: Starting at the Court of Oryx, run forward across the poisoned floor and hang a right, looking for column across the gap. The Fragment is stuck to one edge of this and you should be able to see it from the Court of Oryx platform. You can pick it up while standing on the column.
If you don’t know your way back to this zone, the easiest way to reach the Trenchway is to replay the story mission The Dreadnaught, which drops you right down at one end of it.
- Fragment XIV: Pass through the small door on one side of the Trenchway, the way you were led on your first Dreadnaught visit. Use the invisible platforms to cross the abyss, take the tunnel on the right, and crouch to pass through two small openings. Just before the last tunnel on the left out of this area, look for a bunch of square columns; the Fragment is beneath one.
- Fragment XV: Pass through the small door on one side of the Trenchway, the way you were led on your first Dreadnaught visit. Use the invisible platforms to cross the abyss, take the tunnel on the right, but don’t turn through the small opening; go right to the end of the first corridor, past where you may have scanned some worms earlier, and look for a bunch of columns on the right. The Fragment is between the columns, and is more easily spotted from above.
- Fragment XVI: From your starting point in the Trenchway, look left and down for a gross sort of growth thing on the sloping wall. The Fragment is on one side of the growth.
- From your starting point in the Trenchway, ignore the first path to the right and continue on looking for a second opening on the right. The Fragment is on the left wall of this dead end.
- Fragment XIX: Pass through the small door on one side of the Trenchway, the way you were led on your first Dreadnaught visit. Use the invisible platforms to cross the abyss, but don’t go through the tunnel; use Ghost to locate another invisible platform on the other side of the drop. Jump across to the platform and enter the dark passage beyond. A few Thrall will rush otu to greet you. Once they’re down, look in the alcove on the right.
- Fragment XX: Pass through the small door on one side of the Trenchway, the way you were led on your first Dreadnaught visit. Use the invisible platforms to cross the abyss, but don’t pass through the passage. Facing it, turn left and go to the end of the platform then use Ghost to highlight another invisible platform. Use this path to reach a dark passage leading to chamber; search the left wall to spot the fragment by a glowing tank.
The following Fragments are found during the story mission Regicide, and cannot be picked up on Patrol. We’ve listed them in order of appearance rather than Bungie’s mysterious Grimoire numbering. Follow the guides in presented sequence for maximum efficiency.
- Fragment XXIV: Play through the mission until you pass through a portal into the Asylum zone, landing in a room with a large door flanked by platforms. From your starting position, look for some steps on the left. If you climb down a few but stay near the top you should be able to jump to a metal beam on the left. Run to the far end to find the Fragment by the wall. Grab Fragment 25 while you’re here.
- Fragment XXV: Follow the directions to Fragment 24. Jump back from the beam to the stairs and proceed almost to the bottom. use Ghost to highlight an invisible platform on the left, near the bottom. Drop down, then scan again and jump to the next platform. If you look back towards the main room from this platform you should see the Fragment. Jump to its platform to grab it.
- Fragment XXVII: After entering the second portal immediately turn around and search among the tombs; there’s a Fragment under the one that’s right behind you when you enter.
- Fragment XVIII: After facing off against two Taken bosses, pass through the portal and enter the Trenchway. Look for the ornate door across the chasm; cross this divide and search to the left of the door.
There are three Fragments you can only attain through Strikes.
- Fragment XXVI: Start the Sunless Cell Strike and continue until you reach a room with round pillars hanging from the cieling and a narrow central path. Look o your left and jump up to a high platform; the Fragment is tucked away at the back.
- Fragment XXVIII: Start the Shield Brothers Strike. After defeating the Goliath tank, cross into the Bridge zone and pause. A door on the opposite side of the room should open. Go in, take a right and then a left, eventually ending up in a room with some enemies. From the entrance, facing in, turn right and look for a stack of wreckage by the wall. the Fragment is tucked away in a wrinkle near the white beam.
- Fragment XLVI: You will receive this Fragment for completing your first Nightfall Strike. Good luck!
There are a number of unadvertised quests on Dreadnaught which we’re calling chest sequences, as they usually involve performing a number of tasks in order to unlock a chest. Many reward players with Calcified Fragments.
- Fragment XXXIV: A reward for completing the quest A Scent is Key. Equip all your best agility or movement speed boosting skills, weapons and armour, and visit the Mausoleum. Entering from Hull Breach, take the second door along the left path and crouch to enter the crack on the left (this room has the chest opened by the Key of Maggots). Wait, and within 30 seconds you should receive a message about Scent of the Worm. You then have one minute to run to the chest. Run forward and left, crossing the whole Mausoleum area to the far wall, and bring up Ghost at the far end to reveal an invisible platform. Cross multiple invisible platforms aiming for the platform on the far left, where the chest waits against the wall.
- Fragment XXXV: This one is inside the notorious “chest that kills you” in Hall of Souls. You can either use a sword or super to try and survive the damage while you open the chest, or do it the legitimate way: wait for a notification that “the ritual has begun”. Search Hall of Souls for a bunch of Hive doing something weird, and murder them. Afterwards, grab the Tomb Husk (Relic). If you carry this, you and any nearby Guardians will be safe while looting the chest. Find the chest before you interrupt the ritual; entering Hall of Souls from mausoleum, it’s accessible by dropping down to a platform on your right, then looking for a crack in the next room. The chest is at the end of these tunnels. Here’s Arekkz‘s video guide:
- Fragment XXXVI: As you kill Taken Majors on the Dreadnaught you may receive the Agonarch Rune in a random drop. To charge this rune you need to kill a Taken Major every day of the week for a total of seven kills. Take the charged rune to the The Founts, entering via Mausoleum (take the third door on the left after entering from Hull Breach). After crossing into The Founts drop down to the lower level and go to the far end of the hall. Crouch to enter the crack in the wall and look for a device in the small room beyond where you can activate the Argonarch Rune. You’ll then be prompted with the rest of the quest steps – killing a number of enemies and a Taken Major. When complete, you’ll find a chest back in the room where you handed over your rune.The Fragment is inside.
- Fragment XXXVII: As you kill Cabal Majors on the Dreadnaught you may receive the Skyburners Command Beacon. Take this to the crashed Skyburners ship in Hull Breach and look for the terminal to the left when you first enter. Use the beacon here and you’ll have to face a Cabal Ultra. This enemy will drop the Skyburners Deployment Codes. Equip any agility or movement speed boosting gear or abilities you can, and prime your super and grenades. Take this to Mausoleum, jumping up through the broken wall of the Cabal ship (not through the main entrance), to activate another terminal. You’ll then have to complete three tasks in quick succession – taking down a number of enemies, running to a particular location, and finally sprinting to take down a Cabal leader; hit him with everything you have, and you’ll receive the Skyburners Security Pass. Use this on the locked door in the room where you cashed in the Deployment Codes to reveal a chest containing a Fragment.
- Fragment XXXVIII: As you kill Hive enemies on the Dreadnaught you may receive the Wormsinger Rune. These runes are more common than the other chest sequences we’ve done, and can be cashed in at multiple locations. the easiest one to find is in Hull Breach; from the starting zone move forward and left into the lower area, and scan the right wall for an opening leading to a terminal. The terminal calls in a boss, who will drop a Wormfeeder Rune. Kill 50 enemies without dying and you’ll receive a key to one of the many named chests around the Dreadnaught. The first time you perform this sequence you’ll get a Fragment.
Court of Oryx
Six Fragments can only be obtained via the Court of Oryx, a boss arena in the Hall of Souls. The Tier 3 battles are challenging; come prepared.
- Fragment XXXIX, Fragment XL, Fragment XLI, Fragment XLII: Each of these four Fragments has a chance to drop randomly during Tier 2 Court of Oryx battles. To trigger Tier 2 battles you must first obtain a Stolen Rune and charge it by completing three Tier 1 battles.
- Fragment XLVII: Drops after defeating Thalnok, one of two Court of Oryx Trier 3 bosses that alternate week by week. To trigger Tier 3 battles you must obtain an Antiquated Rune and charge it by completing three Tier 2 battles.
- Fragment XLIX: Drops after defeating Kagoor, one of two Court of Oryx Trier 3 bosses that alternate week by week. To trigger Tier 3 battles you must obtain an Antiquated Rune and charge it by completing three Tier 2 battles.
- Fragment L: Rewarded for completion of a bounty chain. The bounty is randomly awarded after completing Tier 1 Court of Oryx battles.
King’s Fall is The Taken King’s Raid. You’ll need to be Light level 290, a full fireteam and plenty of free time to make it any distance into this one. We’re sorry.
- Fragment XXIX: Before taking the lift, climb onto the pillar in the centre of the room and look for a Fragment on its edge, in the corner.
- Fragment XXX: Immediately after taking the lift up to the Basilica, look for the Fragment at the base of a pillar on the right.
- Fragment XXXI: After defeating the Warpriest and arriving at Gologoroth’s Cellar, take the first left, and then turn left at the next junction. Continue this way till you reach a dead end, where you can climb a pile of rocks. Look right to find the Fragment.
- Fragment XXXII: After entering Golgoroth’s Cellar you should pass through a room with a big central rock. In the very next room turn left and look up to see a ledge; the Fragment is up here, to the right of the doorway.
- Fragment XXXIII: This one’s in the platforming puzzle. Make your way down to the lowest level, and edge past the spike on the wall to the far end of the platform; the Fragment is in the corner, by the wall.
Well done, Guardian; you’ve done something few of your peers can equal. Find more achievements, secrets and puzzles in our full Destiny: The Taken King guide.