GTA 4 modder quits due to harassment, negativity

Monday, 28th July 2014 08:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

We don’t deserve nice things.

gta_4

Technical artist Hayssam Keilany is the lead modder behind the terrific iCEnhancer mod for Grand Theft Auto 4. Working in his free time, Keilany has produced three full releases of the popular modding package.

Unfortunately, it looks like there won’t be any more. In a statement posted on the mod’s Facebook page, Keilany announced he’s taking a break from the mod due to the bullshit drama he gets as a reward for his efforts.

Keilany’s detractors have accused him of failing to credit other modders for work he himself did, suggested his fame and popularity is due to “whoring” himself to media, complained that version 3.0 is not as good as previous releases, and even whined about the fact that it doesn’t look as good as Watch Dogs.

Yes, people are complaining about a free mod of a 2008 game produced by a fan for no return because it doesn’t look as good as a 2014 release.

Wow.

“So yep, that’s it. At every release it’s the same, since 1.2. People spitting on me, my work, everything I do just because people know me or whatever. That’s always nice -cough-,” Keilany said.

“I spent days, weeks, months doing 3.0, released it because I thought people would like it and stuff. If you don’t then I’m sorry, but it’s how I like my GTA.

“I’m going to release the installer and downgrader then i’m done for a while.

“Thanks to the people who supported me and stuff, you guys are cool. No thanks for the guys trying to bring me down constantly. You guys did it after 4 years, I give up on haters.

“Have a nice day, and have fun on 3.0 if you like it.”

Those who don’t like it but nevertheless persist in hanging about making negative comments can, presumably, piss off. Why is gamer culture so rife with this kind of bullshit?

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Boozy

Gamers have become the worst social group with the worst reputation in the world, closely followed by celebrity child a users.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Triggerhappy

So sad. So very sad. Poor guy, that is proper bullshit.

#2 3 months ago
  3. KAP

The PC lot is shitting on something thats free and fan made?! wha… what?!

I find it bullshit that many of the comments today will give condolences to this guy, but are the very same people that will slate something (games/movies/etc) online without no consideration for the people behind the work.

PC gamers are so quick to point out that PC is the best gaming platform but fail to mention their community is no different to the fanboys or trolls the console community have also. The fact that we gamers tend to hate on everything and one without having no repercussions to there actions are insane.

I fucking love games, but everything that follows is atrocious.

Community.
    Media.
    Critics.
    Publishers.

Majority is either out for themselves or all out to shit on everyone else. Guess it’s human nature.

#3 3 months ago
  4. The_Red

This is terrible.
    Sadly, the asshole minority has some of loudest voices on the internet.

Fuck them and fuck all others who can’t stand awesome things ICE mod :(

#4 3 months ago
  5. Hine

OMG never listen to those haters kids they can just doing it behind their screen

#5 3 months ago
  6. OlekKing

@KAP Why are you making this about PC gamers? Being on one platform or the other doesn’t guarantee you’ll be less of a cunt. The PC community has in fact a more mature playerbase where mature people are the rule and immature pricks are the exception. The console playerbase is the opposite, and this is not to say that you have a bigger chance of being an idiot on console but the platform’s userbase is mostly comprised of kids/teenagers who tend to employ that kind of immature behavior, you simply cannot deny it.
    Idiots like this are a very small, but loud minority, either way they are not tolerated by the rest of the majority.
    It’s just human nature.

#6 3 months ago
  7. POOhead

@KAP internet was invented to slate peoples work, autistic cunts like this modder shouldnt even use the internet if hes gunna take comments like “its nothing like watchdogs” serious, like seriously why didnt he just laugh at the stupidity

#7 3 months ago
  8. Rat

Some PC gamers are all about BITCHING and WHINING !

#8 3 months ago
  9. OlekKing

@KAP Also just to extend my point, the same crap happened recently with the Watch Dogs modding community, there was this guy called Kadzait24, who was the first person to release a watch dogs mod trying to improve the visuals and performance of the game.
    He got some media attention but not much, either way he did not ask for any money and did not make a donation page for himself.
    Shortly after TheWorse appears and releases basically the same mod with just a couple different, but crappy tweaks, he’s the one who got all the media attention, he asked for donations and probably got a bunch of them.
    Turns out he ripped off the original modder, Kadzait24, without giving a single mention of him, when Kadzait24 exposed him and got upset, he got ridiculed and ended up being banned from the community they were in.
    So, he basically got his work stolen without being credited in any way (he never deemed to “own” the mod, he just wanted honesty), TheWorse obviously denied all of it, he got all the media attention and a bunch of money from donations.
    The funny thing is that the original guy kept updating his own mod, and it was superior to TheWorse’s version, but he had no way to properly release it and get traction to spread the word.
    It’s simple human nature.

#9 3 months ago
  10. TheAnubis1987

@POOhead People like you are exactly what is wrong about console community. Using Autistic cunt as an insult. Your disgusting and probably have some disorder yourself. You don’t sound very normal from your post.

#10 3 months ago
  11. OlekKing

@POOhead The internet was made to share information, nobody should have to tolerate or deal with internet bullies, and sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone copes with it the same way you do and not everyone has thick skin.
    I like how you just over-simplify the situation, i’m pretty sure he didn’t quit just because of a couple troll comments, he was getting harassed and most likely getting a lot of it via more private avenues, like e-mails for example.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Sethos

The guy is super high on himself, cocky as fuck and keeps making promises, lying to people and can’t keep 10% of it. His ENB is shit and way overhyped, there’s much better ENBs out there.

#12 3 months ago
  13. OlekKing

@Rat Good job making an extraordinary claim without a single piece of evidence or even argument to back it up.
    Also great to see your vast and eloquent vocabulary.
    Your name suits you perfectly.

#13 3 months ago
  14. OlekKing

@Sethos He’s doing all of it in his own free fucking time and releasing it without charging you a single dime.
    His mod is not a simple ENB, it goes deep into the game’s code.
    Maybe instead of complaining, you should make a superior version and show us how great you are.
    Next time at least know what the fuck you’re talking about.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Xephon_70

There’s an irony to this comments section…I…can’t quite…put my finger…nope it’s gone.

#15 3 months ago
  16. stretch215

No surprise there, the gaming community is a vile, poisonous thing. For evidence look no further than the comment section on any game site, especially this one.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Michael Ireland

So much hate.

#17 3 months ago
  18. Sethos

@OlekKing Aww, are you his little white knight bitch? That’s cute. Plenty of talented people make stuff in their spare time yet still manage to be cool guys. Hayssam is just a little cocky cunt that’s full of shit.

And I don’t need to make my own because there’s other, more talented people that have made better ENBs and they manage not to be dicks.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Sethos

By the way, he’s not stopping, from his FB;

“Ummm… To answer some of you, I never said I’ll stop modding because of some haters. I’m just taking a break that I really need from all of this GTA world a little, while V is here …”

#19 3 months ago
  20. OlekKing

@Sethos No, i’m not in that business.
    I have my own stances and i actually support them with arguments.
    Next time come up with something better than ad hominem.

#20 3 months ago
  21. ignoreLander

#21 3 months ago
  22. Mike W

@ignoreLander

“I thought the internet was made for fools to practice their poor grammar and atrocious spelling.”

Yup, you’re actually right, “if you’ll kindly” just read your sentence again and tell us what’s missing? ;)

#22 3 months ago
  23. ninjakenzen

#pcmasterrace

#23 3 months ago
  24. ignoreLander

@Mike W I think “would you kindly” is the phrase you were looking for….

But I give up; what’s missing?

#24 3 months ago
  25. polygem

The kids can´t discuss anymore. They hide behind avatars.

#25 3 months ago
  26. polygem

@polygem
    Not all of them…the loudest of them though.

#26 3 months ago
  27. ignoreLander

@polygem Did you just respond to yourself?

#27 3 months ago
  28. polygem

@ignoreLander
    more like imitating an edit button

#28 3 months ago
  29. ignoreLander

As an aside, can someone fill me in on how the hell I can change my avatar on this site?

#29 3 months ago
  30. polygem

@ignoreLander

you need to create an account on gravatar.com

that avatar will be used on here…and every other site that uses wordpress.

#30 3 months ago
  31. TheWulf

It’s always the same. Most gamers are arseholes regardless of the platform, sociopaths even, and we’ve seen plenty here on VG24/7 to back that up. I mean, the regressive, disgusting, depraved views of women alone are enough to make one doubt one’s connection to the human race.

It’s a fact of life you have to come to accept, or you’ll go insane. A good 60 per cent of the world is probably going to be made up of people that have no appreciation for anything they have, and squander it, and abuse it, and everything around them, acting as a living pollutant, a tumour on the earth, a thing of selfishness and greed, anti-erudite, self serving, driven by their own preservation instincts above all else. And murderously jealous and hateful of those smarter and more creative than they are

I strive, every day, to be the stark opposite of those people.

I like to praise modders and urge them to keep up their work, if not for us, then for them, because there’s obviously some reason they were doing it in the first place. I’ve been a modder myself, I know that some days can be filled with praise, and then, on others, you’ll make a mistake and you’ll realise just what a thankless job it is. But then there are always those intelligent, kind, beautiful people that make it worthwhile.

I try to be one of those people when supporting other modders. I try to give insightful feedback, positive opinions, and helpful advice. I bolster their confidence when under attack, and I try to mediate when the masses become naught but a maddened herd of one mind that shares the same opinion.

It’s something done out of passion, as a hobby, and sometimes people are just sociopathic and don’t consider that at all. They lack the insight. I’d be willing to be that most of the people who do this are extroverted sensors, because of the lack of empathy, consideration, insight, and because extroverted sensors are statistically prone to sociopathy more than any other personality type.

So, yeah, I just think that there’s a certain kind of deeply unpleasant, yet popular personality type that just sours these things. They just expect to get everything for free, and have it their own, perfectly entitled way. And don’t you put no independent womens, gay people, or strangeness in my mundanity! :P

But yeah. The usual suspects. Unfortunately.

They wasn’t always the case. At one point, we were just nerds with supposedly poor social skills. Basically, how extroverts perceive introverts, as gaming was more introverted back in the golden age. Then, with the OMGUNZNSTABBERSSNBLOODNSPLOSIONZ era, the extroverts hopped on board.

That’s when that reputation began to form.

Just think about it. You didn’t hear about people cussing each other out over games in the ’90s. Even the ‘console war’ was tongue-in-cheek. And home computer users didn’t even bother with competition at all, really. So, yeah, it was just a different time, with different people. I can’t imagine that someone going out to buy the next Dizzy game is going to be spouting racial, homophobic, and sexist slurs. I don’t think that a person going to purchase Zork is going to have a hatecrime ready to drip from their lips at every possible moment.

And, frankly? The more extroverts we’ve taken on, the worse our reputation as a subculture has become.

The only potty mouth we had to worry about in the ’90s was Dominic Diamond, but at least he was intellectually astute enough and thus incredibly funny and witty with it, and largely inoffensive as he went for innuendo rather than hate crimes. But hey, different people from a different age.

Fun.

Horseradish, that’s a straw-man and you know it. Either that, or you’re too dim to not know, in which case you have my pity. But it’s a logical error to compare a person passionately working on something with a soulless executive encrusted in a suit, looking for the next fool to exploit next.

I’m always supportive of the creatives in any company, I’ve always been, I mention creatives all the time and how I’m sick of the aforementioned suits trapping them into soulless mainstream endeavours, and how I’m glad to see them break off and form their own independent or small house dev team. I’ve never had a go at Tim Schafer, there’s a reason for that.

I mean, really, you’re comparing Robert Kotick (of Activision) with, say, Josh Sawyer of Obsidian? That’s a fair comparison?

So, you’re either very stupid and you actually believe that, or you’re slightly stupid and you genuinely believed that you had some kind of valid argument, here.

PC gamers are so quick to point out that PC is the best gaming platform [...]

Not best. Most open. Another straw-man. Oh, you so clever.

[...] but fail to mention their community is no different to the fanboys or trolls the console community have also.

Gee guy. I guess you’ve missed the tens (maybe hundreds, by this point) of comments where I’ve said “It’s not the platform that’s the problem, but the platform owner who’s the prick, and every platform has its pricks.“?

That sure sounds like what you said, doesn’t it?

Oh, wait! No, no, no it doesn’t. You’re just a butthurt idiot who’s just using smear attacks and straw-men to the best of his incredibly limited capacities. But hey, don’t let me stop you. Just remember, you don’t need my help to make you look like a dribbling imbecile.

THEIR. I don’t normally pick on grammar, but that one drives me insane. THEIR. THEIR actions. Please, for the sake of my sanity, learn the difference.

I don’t need to say anything else about that, really, because we have so many people praising games around here daily to make that blatantly untrue.

Speak for yourself. When have you ever NOT done that?

Some are, yeah. :I I wish they weren’t PC gamers, frankly.

Eh, like I said, every platform has deeply unpleasant people. It’s more the people, than the platform. The problem is the kind of entertainment that’s being put out, today. I mean, thinking games are hardly the norm, now, are they? Like they were back in the LucasArts days, the golden age of gaming. Nope, now it’s all violence, violence, and more violence.

Of course that draws in the most sickly horrible people, of course it does, there’s never any doubt about that. It’s not the platform that you can judge a person by, it’s what they play, and how they play it.

For example, I’d be more likely to say that a point & click adventure gamer is a pleasant person than someone who plays action adventures and shooters. Proof? Just go to the Adventure Gamers forums, you’ll be inundated with loveliness from all corners, they’re incredible, wonderful, tolerant people. It’s the same with Telltales forums.

It’s not the platforms. It’s the entertainment. And the kind of people that entertainment draws in. We’ve gone from the golden era to the OMGUNZNSTABBERSSNBLOODNSPLOSIONZ era. Just think about that for a moment. One person plays Day of the Tentacle, is genial, pleasant to be around, and intellectually and emotionally intelligent. Another person plays action adventures featuring racist, sexist heroes and is unpleasant, rude, unintelligent, arrogant, and uneducated.

I’ve seen that too many times to believe anything else. And really, it’d be a bit weird to not be true, wouldn’t it? Thinky entertainment, pleasant gamers! Stupid entertainment, obnoxious gamers!

So I stand by it not being the platform, but the entertainment. And it’s not the entertainment that makes the jerk — oh no, not at all. It’s more that the entertainment is now designed to attract jerks who already existed, but were never interested in videogames before.

That goes for every corporation out there, churning out soulless, unfinished, rushed games. They’re cocky, too, always talking up their shit and getting others to talk it up. But you don’t hear anyone telling them that they’re doing wrong by doing so, do you?

Nope, just pick on the little guy for having some of the same flaws. How about next time we pick on corporate suits responsible for the next Thief or whatever other abhorrent turd they crank out?

It’s a double-standard designed to punish people who work for free, when those with pay cheques bigger than the money you’ll ever earn go scot free, without any criticism.

But no, pick on the guy who works on a free project in his spare time.

This smacks of cowardice.

I like you.

/highfive

— —

Have at!

#31 3 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

@Xephon_70 I love this comment!

#32 3 months ago
  33. derpex

Let’s see, mustards invade almost every console article to spread lies, FUD, and hatred, they take the “master race” joke seriously and think they’re superior human beings for owning a piece of plastic, shit on PC modders doing work for free, then they blame “console kids” for being more immature.

Nope, not seeing any irony here.

#33 3 months ago