You don’t have to kill anyone in Alien: Isolation

Wednesday, 16th July 2014 01:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Alien: Isolation players don’t have to take pot shots at enemies if they’d prefer to use stealth.

alien_isolation

The Creative Assembly has been saying all along that Alien: Isolation will be a horror experience rather than a shooter like Colonial Marines, and the developer has confirmed you can play through the whole game without making a kill -0 despite the threat of scavengers, synthetics and, of course, the xeno.

Lead designer Gary Napper told GamesTM the decision to allow pacifist playthroughs was narrative-driven.

“You can get through the entire game without killing someone. It’s something that was, not so much a challenge, but something I felt was what the character would do,” he said.

“We’re talking about a member of the Ripley family – they’re not like characters in games that gun down civilians because they’re in the way to get to the switch.”

What interests me about this information is how neatly it lines up with John Robertson’s essential Alien Isolation survival guide, in which most of his advice seems to boil own to “there is no point fighting or collecting weapons; hide”.

I’m getting quite excited for this one! Alien: Isolation hits PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in October.

Thanks, PCGamer.

1. edragon

Also You don’t have to play Alien: Isolation!
    I actually like that option even more! :P

#1 1 week ago
  2. FerretPersona

Well, I’m excited! It’s been too long – finally a console game that sounds like it’s going to be delivering a proper horror experience.

Haven’t jumped on the PS4 wagon yet but I’ll likely have one before the year is out and this will be a day-one purchase for me~

#2 1 week ago
  3. polygem

Very very interested in this one and very very sceptical at the same time.

#3 1 week ago
  4. TheWulf

I’m actually a lot more interested in this, but I still can’t abide by the way they’ve treated the xenomorph itself, which is exceedingly low brow compared to how it was handled in Aliens and the extended AvsP Universe. They’ve basically tried to make the xenomorph look as ‘evil’ as possible in this, which — due to the low brow approach — means they’ve turned it into a xeniomorph zombie.

Compare the xenomorph in this game with that of prior games and tell me you don’t see it. It’s an undead xenomorph. That’s where the ‘fear factor’ comes from, because a xenomorph just isn’t scary enough in its own right any more. That’s a thing.

The thing is is that a near-apex predator, when hungry and scared, can be terrifying. Now, I know the media vilifies wolves, but if you were to put a hungry wolf in a locked room with someone, they’d likely bond with their cell-mate and become best friends, because that’s what they do. It’s their modus operandi — you’re more likely to survive with friends.

However, if you look at one of the creature that’s perhaps been the most romanticised, almost to being a harmless kitty cat, then we’re getting somewhere. The tiger, for example. Whereas attacks on humans are almost statistically non-existent for wolves (and where they are, it was heavily provoked), the statistics of attacks on humans by tigers is very real.

Over three hundred and seventy thousand people have died between the period of 1800 and 2009 due to tiger attacks. That’s a lot of people! Now, let’s put a tiger in a locked room with a person and see what happens, eh? The results won’t be very pretty.

The thing is is that people aren’t scared of tigers because games have made them impotent, they’re just a foe that you can shoot down easily. Unless you’re trained with a gun, and a degree of ranged shooting and silent movement, you won’t have that much luck with a tiger in real life. Tigers, frankly, are terrifying. Pretty, but terrifying.

And yet they have every right to exist.

That’s the angle I loved seeing the Aliens Universe play off of. The reason the xenomorphs were pissed off wasn’t because they were zombies, but because they were weird animals who were being experimented on and generally tortured by scientists of Wey-Yu corp, who were looking for ways to control and genetically engineer them to create a weapon for earth’s military.

Aliens: Isolation could have played off of that. A xenomorph has escaped from a cargo chamber where it was being transported to a Wey-Yu lab, and it’s pretty annoyed that it’s been separated from its hive. As such, it’s your job to either kill it or avoid it. I’d choose to avoid it, personally, because it’s not the fault of the xenomorph for the position it finds itself in.

That’s why xenos were always an interesting prospect to me, because, like predators, there was that angle of redemption. Where, if we just understood them a bit more, we could co-exist. And I don’t know about you, but I’d sleep easier on an alien world knowing it was protected by xenomorphs. :P

That kind of flat, faceless evil we see in redemption — the zombie — is off-putting to me. If they hadn’t zombified the alien so much in an effort to make it some flat, faceless evil that’s evil because it’s evil then I would have been so, so, so interested in Isolation right now. You have no idea.

So, this news actually makes me a little sad.

Good if you like it, then! I hope my fellow not-killers out there will enjoy this one. But for me, it feels like a step back from what the extended AvsP Universe did with xenomorphs. :I

PROTIP: Xenomorphs are smart enough to figure out how to play a saxophone. (I wish I could find a picture of that comic.)

But yeah. This is the approach to xenomorphs that Alien and Prometheus went for. It’s just a little too low brow for my tastes. I’m never a fan of “It’s evil because it is, okay?” when everything has its motivations.

I know I’m the opposite of most people when it comes to that, though. I was delighted by the Reapers doing what they do because programming error, and that the Reapers were actually innocent and being mind controlled by the Catalyst. But most people wanted the Reapers to be a faceless, unfathomable evil. Most people like low brow.

BUT… I do have to praise them for making a game where you don’t have to kill. I will absolutely, definitely give them that.

#4 1 week ago
  5. TheWulf

I know, right? It’s the aesthetic of the xenomorph that’s killing me, because it screams ‘xenomorph zombie.’ And my inner nerd is just crying ‘why’ over and over. :P This could have been SO good if they hadn’t decided to low brow it up. So I have conflicted feelings.

#5 1 week ago
  6. The_Red

Cool neat feature but they could bundle this with Half Life 3 and I still wouldn’t buy it after the disgusting DLC / pre-order stunt that Sega pulled.

#6 1 week ago
  7. FerretPersona

@The_Red
    I am genuinely intruiged as to what was so disgusting about the pre-order incentive? Honestly, I don’t get why offering something as a pre-order bonus was so heinous… Not being a tool, just curious.

#7 1 week ago
  8. FerretPersona

@The_Red
    I am genuinely intrigued as to what was so disgusting about the pre-order incentive? Honestly, I don’t get why offering something as a pre-order bonus was so heinous… Not being a tool, just curious.

#8 1 week ago
  9. The_Red

@FerretPersona
    The game is called “Alien”. It was inspired by “Alien 1″ movie. So they got ALL of Alien 1′s cast and then:
    1. Put them behind a paywall (In DLC context).
    2. Pre-order incentive (After their own Colonial Marines proved how terrible Pre-orders are).

It’s the 2nd one I take most issue with. Colonial Marines proved that one should NEVER pre-order, even after seeing promising, live gameplay footage because the final game could be something completely different (Sure, Gearbox is a giant ass but it was still a Sega game).

So now that people are reluctant to pre-order another Alien game from Sega, they use a cheap, dirty tactic to lure them.

#9 1 week ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

@The_Red
    You shouldn’t preorder any game at all ever, especially if they offer any incentive. Indie studios and crowdfunding should be the only time you pay for a game before you are sure it’s good for you. That’s always a gamble and a waste of money more often then not.

#10 1 week ago