Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski is coming out of retirement

Monday, 30th June 2014 19:37 GMT By Sherif Saed

He’s going to be making video games again apparently.

Bleszinski broke the news today on his Twitter, promising to reveal more in the next seven days.

Despite not having officially retired, Bleszinski took a long hiatus after leaving Epic, possibly to start his own thing. Which he has been teasing for for the past year.

What is it? Well, we don’t know. What we do know is that it’s not going to be a disc-based game. With it possibly being a PC affair.

1. polygem

oh, come on cliffy, don´t rush things, take your time…

#1 4 weeks ago
  2. zme-ul

who the fuck cares?
    well apparently enough people, because this is “news” ….

#2 4 weeks ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Wait? He was retired? Okay… I wonder who he’s shacking up with for his comeback project?

#3 4 weeks ago
  4. bradk825

It’s a comeback!

He was probably just bored.

I can’t decide if I still like him. He raises a lot of good points about things, and then suddenly says something seemingly just be be a douche. He loves to scoff at triple-A now, which is funny since triple-A made him rich.

#4 4 weeks ago
  5. bradk825

@Legendaryboss Probably joining or creating an indie studio. He has in the past promised he’ll never make a game that goes on a disc again. He’s been hating on that media since he went to a launch event at a Gamestop for one of the Gears games and there was a flyer in the window on launch day encouraging you to trade it back in ASAP for max trade credit.

#5 4 weeks ago
  6. TheWulf

He used to be passionate about making games for the sake of making games, he liked being a dork and nerding out in interviews about engine building and code optimisation. He was almost a John Carmack-wannabe, until something happened. He got caught up in the money, and the money became more important to him than his own ambitions, because it made life good.

The money was sweet enough to put on a facade, to play the charade, and to go along with what was expected of a triple A developer. And then he just kind of realised how hollow it was. Considering what’s happened to Epic, now, I think he probably mentioned that to them as a reason for leaving, which is why they’ve changed their approach, too.

The money’s not enough, any more.

So he’s returning to passion projects, and now he’s finally free to say what he genuinely feels about triple A games.

#6 4 weeks ago
  7. Panthro

God, stay dead already.

#7 4 weeks ago
  8. majormayhem70

Welcome back Cliffy B. Don’t pay the haters any mind, it’s all that they do…

#8 4 weeks ago
  9. yeoung

If you’re gonna hit the gaming scene again, hit it with a game, not a tweet.

#9 4 weeks ago
  10. Mike W

Intresting…….hopefully he tones down his bitching and use his talents to make a good game.

#10 4 weeks ago
  11. fearmonkey

I had thought I had read that he was making a PC shooter of some sort, a Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 like game. It was my understanding he has been working on something.

I admit my enthusiasm for Cliffy lessened when he came out in support of Xbone’s DRM, I lost alot of respect for him after that.

#11 4 weeks ago
  12. Craig E

Not a fan of the man either as a human being or as a game designer. I genuinely never understood the praise for GoW – they were average at best in my opinion, and to hold Cliff B in reverence over their “design” merits seems to me to be a massive error of judgement.

Still, opinions can and do differ. Good luck to him in his new project. Am I going to pay the slightest interest in keeping up to date with it? No.

#12 4 weeks ago
  13. Gheritt White

@majormayhem70 This. Very nice guy IRL in my experience, genuinely cares for his “fans” (i.e. audience).

#13 4 weeks ago