Visceral explains why Battlefield: Hardline isn’t just a Battlefield 4 expansion

Monday, 23rd June 2014 09:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield: Hardline developer Visceral Games has been accused by fans of making a mere ‘expansion’ to Battlefield 4, based on how similar both games look and feel to play. However, lead multiplayer designer Thad Sesser has explained in an interview why the shooter is more than that.

battlefield_hardline

It follows EA CEO Andrew Wilson calling the rocky Battlefield 4 launch “unacceptable,” and my own heated blog about why his reasons for that shaky start are weak.

Now, PlayStation Lifestyle has asked Sesser to discuss claims that Battlefield: Hardline uses largely the same gameplay, tech, user interface, mechanics, engine features and more as Battlefield 4.

He replied, “Well, obviously the engine’s the same. We’re using Frostbite 3. It’s a fantastic engine. We’ve got improvement incoming. We improved the vehicle physics and so on because, in a cops and criminal setting, vehicle collisions are way more important than in Battlefield.

“So, we’re making fundamental changes under the hood to some of these systems. In terms of the UI, we still want it to be recognizably Battlefield, but we’ve got some changes, we’re listening to user feedback, we’re always soliciting comments and feedback from the players, so if you’ve got specific comments, you got specific feedback, let us know.

“We’re happy to take it in, we’re still a good bit away from release. We got time to make some changes. Let us know what you like, what you don’t like. Tell us why.”

When asked about claims that Battlefield: Hardline could have just been a Battlefield 4 expansion, Sesser responded, “What you see on the [E3 2014] show floor here today is just a small portion of what we got. Obviously, we got a wide range of maps. We got a lot more weapons. We got a lot more cool gadgets. We got a lot more exciting stuff to show you in the upcoming weeks and months. We got a slew of new game modes.

“I think you’ll understand where the value proposition is with this game. There is a lot of new content. It’s not just a re-skin or a re-use of assets. We’ve got all new assets, we got a lot of stuff still coming in, so look forward, check us out in the future, play it, tell us what you think.”

Here’s the interview in full:

What do you think of Battlefield: Hardline so far? Let us know below.

It’s out on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, October 21.

Via MP1st.

1. Xbone

This is a mod. This is the kinda mod we would have if there is a mod tool. In fact, I think our modders would make a better cop/badguy mod.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Sethos

It’s a mediocre mod, no need to beat around the bush. All this PR fluff won’t do it any good.

#2 3 months ago
  3. polygem

shameless cash grab and a must avoid game of the year contender for me already.
    where´s the press saying that this looks like a shameless cash grab and an uninspired mess based on the beta experience? maybe too busy e-mailing EA from their shiny new ubisoft branded tablets, asking them what they want them to write. EA said, tell them it´s awesome. you wont regret it.

#3 3 months ago
  4. OrbitMonkey

As much as i would LOVE to take part in the ol “Slate new game from Beta play experience ” circle-jerk, i didn’t get in :(

Hopefully i’ll get into the next one, to y’know, give my self-inflated, negative whining a bit more veracity :)

#4 3 months ago
  5. polygem

@OrbitMonkey
    knock on wood!
    shame you didn´t get in, you are a very skilled and smart complainer :D

#5 3 months ago
  6. bort118

Not convinced by this AT ALL.
    ‘we got a wide range of maps’ – The very least you’d expect
    ‘We got a lot more weapons.’ – Yes, because battlefield needed more weapons.

As others have said, this i just a mod. New maps, weapons and gadgets doesn’t make a new game. I won’t be dropping £50 on this one, especially with so many other games coming out.

#6 3 months ago
  7. deathm00n

Since I didn’t get BF4 and loved the beta, I think I will get it. Eventualy. When the price is low.

#7 3 months ago
  8. sebastien rivas

I feel dirtily shameful to say so because I feel no hope for it and all indications converge to the understanding that I fully agree with @3

I will stay away from this one for sure, just because I am not fucking heard about arguments on FPS games in general like it is fucking a fatality to have game glitch exploiters and game hackers “EN MASSE”.
    This shit ain’t for me!