EA boss admits that Battlefield 4′s launch situation was “unacceptable”

Friday, 20th June 2014 10:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4′s shaky launch was well documented by the gaming press and gamers alike, and now, some eight months after it launched, EA boss Andrew Wilson has deemed it “unacceptable.”

battlefield_4_bf4

It follows today’s new screen and details of Battlefield 4: Dragon’s Teeth DLC map Sunken Dragon.

In an interview with Eurogamer, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said that Battlefield 4′s multiplayer issues were not a server problem, and added, “It was a client side problem. Right now the game is playing extremely well, and people are in there and having a lot of fun. I’m still playing it.”

Explaining what he felt did go wrong, Wilson continued, “Think about what Battlefield 4 was: 64 player multiplayer, giant maps, 1080p, Levolution that was changing the gameplay design in an emergent way. There is a chance there are things you are going to miss through the development cycle. And you end up in a situation we had with Battlefield 4.

“For me, the situation we had was unacceptable. For the team it was unacceptable. We have worked tirelessly since then to make sure the gameplay experience got to where it absolutely should have been at launch and we’re focused on that and we continue to deliver value to that player base.

“But when you do things like that you can never guarantee. It would be disingenuous for me to sit here and say, ‘we will never have an issue again,’ because that would mean we were never going to push the boundaries again. And I don’t want to be that company.

“I want to be a company that pushes to lead and innovate and be creative. But you can start to do things that give you a better handle and a better view about what the potential challenges might be.”

Back in December, a law firm filed to investigate EA over claims that it misled shareholders and rushed Battlefield 4 out the gate to appease investors.

Wilson downplayed claims that the shooter was rushed, adding, “DICE had a lot of time this time. Hardline has had three years. Last year was a very unique situation. Not to abdicate responsibility whatsoever – we own it, we are responsible for it and we have worked tirelessly to remedy the situation – but when you are building a game on an unfinished platform with unfinished software, there are some things that can’t get done until the very last minute because the platform wasn’t ready to get done.

“What was happening with Battlefield 4, even as we were pushing all of this innovation, was a lot of it we couldn’t test until really late in the phase. I believe it was unique.”

He also touches on the way fans responded, and more over on Eurogamer. It’s a huge interview, seriously.

What were your views on the Battlefield 4 launch issues? Let us know below.

1. Legendaryboss

Stage 5: Acceptance. EA have reached it. Otherwise: You don’t say!

#1 2 months ago
  2. polygem

i just played the hardline beta a bit. it seems to be more or less a reskinned bf game, something like vietnam was – the difference though: vietnam wasn´t a full priced retail release.

bf4 @ release was just a mess. a mess. complete fuck up. a joke. barely playable.
    i actually played it again yesterday and i still encountered tons of bugs, still! even these audio bugs haven´t been completely fixed.

this konami metal gear V 30 dollar demo…cheap cash grab in my book. abusing the hype from your most dedicated fans. what a turn off.

there is a lot of stuff to like about games but the business practices are definitley becoming more and more questionable every year.

again regarding bf: i say, less would be more. much more. the concept isn´t fully working. they are trying too much and can´t get it done. don´t even bother. make sure that what you have feels right. hardline feels shaky and unbalanced and too hectic. that levolution stuff for example is making the game worse. it´s great for marketing but shit for gameplay.

the last good bf game that i have played was bfbc2.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Capt.N00P

“I’m still playing it.”
    original maps still CRASHING. Solution? Become a premium.
    “1080p”
    This is the first game! big problem.
    “DICE had a lot of time this time. Hardline has had three years.”
    2 years for bf4? along side with at least three projects.
    “building a game on an unfinished platform with unfinished software”
    this is the only game affected and on all platforms.

#3 2 months ago
  4. AmiralPatate

It’s like they didn’t learn anything from BF3.

#4 2 months ago
  5. DarkElfa

I’ve never had any buggy issues with BF4 since I bought it, but then again I play on a very good PC. Not sure if that matters, but its a fact for me.

Now the problem I do have sadly is levels filled with way too many vehicles, some very cheap and spammable power weapons and snipers….always snipers; if its not the uselessness of your own team’s snipers, its the efficiency of the other team’s.

But seriously, you haven’t found futility until you try to kill a tank with a pro driving team and be the only person on your team trying. Also, airblast and drones.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Shirashi

“Think about what Battlefield 4 was: 64 player multiplayer, giant maps, 1080p, Levolution that was changing the gameplay design in an emergent way. There is a chance there are things you are going to miss through the development cycle.”

To me, this is more on an un-explanation of what happened that argues the game was so whizbang amazeballs, the client side was overwhelmed by the awesome amount of paradigm shifting coolness. All he did was promote the game. When I played the game at launch, there were two maps I couldn’t load in MP without crashing the Xbox 360 and forcing a hard reboot. After the patch that promised to fix things, I had sketchy odds playing those maps plus a third. This wasn’t a 64-player issue, nor was it an issue of Levolution. I fail to see how 1080p led to hardware crashes on a 360 for just some maps, or how those MP features might explain my twice losing my entire progress during the campaign mode.

#6 2 months ago