Final Fantasy 14 boss wants cross-platform play with Xbox One

Friday, 13th June 2014 14:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn producer and director Naoki Yoshida wants to release an Xbox One version of the MMO, but cross-play between all versions is a must – something Microsoft hasn’t been too willing to do in the past.

ff14 april

Speaking with Pocket-Lint at E3, Yoshida said Square Enix is in talks with Microsoft regarding the possibility.

“We really want to do an Xbox One version,” Yoshida said. “As a big Xbox player myself. The thing is, A Realm Reborn is all about cross-platform compatibility. Anybody from any platform can play together.

“We don’t want to split our community into people who play on this platform or play on that one. So we’re currently in talks with Microsoft, trying to convince them that this is what needs to happen.”

Final Fantasy 11 was available on Xbox 360 and allowed users to play with others on PC and PS3 through Square’s Servers, so the possibility isn’t too far-fetched.

Shadowrun featured cross-platform play between the Xbox 360 and PC in 2007, and while Xbox boss Phil Spencer said the experiment didn’t work very well, Microsoft learned from the experience.

Back in October last year, Spencer said he was open to cross-platform play between the Xbox One and PC, so once that hurdle is out of the way, maybe a rival console could be added to the mix. If an exception was made before, it can be made again.

Baby steps, fingers crossed and all that, but for now, such a thing seems to only be given the greenlight when players log into Mega Servers through their consoles.

1. zoopdeloop

Yoshida hasn’t think this through
    console wars will be taken to the next level, the world of Eorzea will become hazardous for anyone to handle and eventually it will die

#1 2 months ago
  2. Judicas

I’m throwing my money at the screen, not working, Q.Q
    Want this, badly. I really hope Microsoft comes around.
    I almost brought a PS4 to play this but decided to hold off until God of War PS4… which was said to have a reveal of sorts at e3 on twitter then… didn’t have one :P

#2 2 months ago
  3. Llewelyn_MT

I don’t know why people are not demanding cross-platform multiplayer on consoles. From a consumer point of view that’s an obvious feature. The console makers prefer vendor lock-in though.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Eregol

Microsoft is the only cross platform play averse company.
    They really need to get over themselves and allow it.
    The fact they rebuffed War Thunder for this reason when all they wanted to do was allow XB1 and PC players to interact is a case in point.

#4 2 months ago
  5. DeVitowned

I don’t understand why Microsoft would be so stubborn to deny themselves a game by refusing cross-platform play. Well, in reality MANY potential games that could come to the console.

However, I believe it will eventually come, maybe even as soon as next year, just as FFXI before it.

PS: I wish all multiplatform online games, like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. could be played cross-platform. Granted, I know there is an advantage to keyboard and mouse over pad, at least it would guarantee an always thriving community.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Game Hunter

Cross-platform multiplaying is a must in this industry.period.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Clupula

On “THAT GUY” Duty…

Final Fantasy XI never came out for PS3. It came out for PS2. In fact, it was bundled with the HDD add-on for PS2.

#7 2 months ago
  8. tracyis300

If they were to do it, im sure MS would ask for some exclusive stuff to get players interested, as well to try and catch up in the sales gap?

#8 2 months ago
  9. OrbitMonkey

Oh your xboxone chocobo only moves at 30fps? My trusty PS4 Chocobo will see you next week!

I’ll leave you to stare at its 1080p tail feathers… Oh wait you can’t!

#9 2 months ago
  10. dazedonthemoon

@OrbitMonkey
    C’mon man we got enough fanboy hate on VG24/7 as it is. Don’t add more. Let’s all game together.

#10 2 months ago
  11. OrbitMonkey

My xboxone chocobo is slow? Took you fuckers TEN years to get your online service to HALF of what Live is… And for the same price.

#11 2 months ago
  12. Tormenter

I, so, don’t want MS to play ball on this. I want them to continue to harm themselves due to unreasonable restrictive practices, and I want them to continue to do this to the detriment of their customers’ experience because I want MS to continue it’s doubletime march to irrelevance.

MS are a dinosaur that needs to go the same way as the rest of them did.

#12 2 months ago
  13. Tormenter

@DeVitowned

It’s because server control.

MS wouldn’t be sole authority in a cross-play situation, and their business model doesn’t make allowances for that.

#13 2 months ago